Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Jimmy Lloyd forgotten 50's rocker. Possible E.P connection?

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:15 pm

There are 3 guitar solos on this great track. To me they sound slightly similar to the guitar work on "A big hunk o love" and "Aint' that loving you baby" (fast versions). Could it be Hank Garland playing on this?
phpBB [video]

Re: Jimmy Lloyd forgotten 50's rocker. Possible E.P connecti

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:25 pm

Jimmy Lloyd recorded this at Owen Bradley's studio in Nashville (it was the B-side of "I've Got A Rocket In My Pocket") and, according to the notes accompanying the Bear Family CD "That'll Flat ... Git It! Volume 24", features some stellar guitar work from Hank Garland with Grady Martin and Harold Bradley coming up strongly in the rear. Also on the record are Buddy Harman on drums and Floyd Cramer on piano.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:42 pm

Bondi Jag wrote:Jimmy Lloyd recorded this at Owen Bradley's studio in Nashville (it was the B-side of "I've Got A Rocket In My Pocket") and, according to the notes accompanying the Bear Family CD "That'll Flat ... Git It! Volume 24", features some stellar guitar work from Hank Garland with Grady Martin and Harold Bradley coming up strongly in the rear. Also on the record are Buddy Harman on drums and Floyd Cramer on piano.

Thanks for that info. I don't have that CD you mention, but I'm rather pleased with myself that I got this right on first hearing. I belive Jimmy was about 50 when he recorded this and I only have this one and the marvellous "Where the Rio De Rosa flows" in my collection. Great stuff.
phpBB [video]

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:20 pm

Tony,

Jimmy Lloyd (real name Jimmie Logsdon) was actually in his 30s (born 1 April, 1922, died 2001) when he recorded his rockabilly tracks. There is a page about him in a book I bought recently called "Rockabilly The Twang Heard 'Round The World". I tried scanning it but the page is slightly bigger than the scanner platen and I couldn't flatten the page enough. He recorded rockabilly under the name Jimmy Lloyd so his loyal country fans wouldn't know it was him.

I agree with you, it is great stuff. The Bear Family series "That'll Flat Git It" has 2 more versions of Where The Rio De Rosa Flows, one by Carl Perkins (on Columbia after he left Sun) and the other by Ken Copeland (now a TV evangelist I believe). I don't know if you're familiar with the website Rockin' Country Style, but it has a lot of stuff like this and you can listen to snippets of the music (mostly 30-40 seconds long).

Ian

http://rcs-discography.com/rcs/index.html