Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Re: Happy 70th birthday Jimi Hendrix

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:34 pm

Hard to believe a youth icon like Hendrix would now be an old man. Boy does time fly by.

Rather than wringing our hands over Elvis this would be the occasion for hand wringing. Only 28 and four albums on the street, although he did leave many interesting outtakes.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:21 am

likethebike wrote:Hard to believe a youth icon like Hendrix would now be an old man. Boy does time fly by.

Rather than wringing our hands over Elvis this would be the occasion for hand wringing. Only 28 and four albums on the street, although he did leave many interesting outtakes.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:06 pm

"Happy" birthday?

rjm (There are SO MANY to wring your hands over. And none had another happy birthday. I wish Graceland would stop it with the cake every year. That's creepy.)

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:40 pm

rjm wrote:"Happy" birthday?

rjm (There are SO MANY to wring your hands over. And none had another happy birthday. I wish Graceland would stop it with the cake every year. That's creepy.)

Elvis loved cake.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:45 pm

If one only takes a song like "Red House" and examines many of the different versions Hendrix did over the years ('66-'70), it's staggering and almost frightening the depth of emotion and expression he put into this. He never played it the same way, and he always played it exactly the way he felt it at that particular moment, no faking going on. There's a guy on the net who put together a magnificent self-compiled "Red House" 3-disc collection, and talking about deep blues, this is some of the deepest blues playing ever heard:

http://zorgub.tripod.com/red_house_rev.htm

Have a listen!

I think Jimi hendrix is the greatest musician that the "classic rock" (60s-70s) era produced, there's no one in the same building with him. No other electric guitarist comes even close.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:24 pm

Out of all the dead young rock stars (i don't include elvis in that) Jimi Hendrix was the biggest loss. such a talent. and the "what if's" involved are so frustrating. And its extra sad because it was just a stupid accident that killed him. Granted, Jimi was not living a healthy lifestyle buts Its not like Joplin who was really tempting fate with Heroin or Morrison who was drinking himself to death.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:57 pm

Exactly. One could say that Joplin, Morrison, Jones, Moon, Whinehouse and yes, certainly Elvis 1973-1977, were all flirting with death by their reckless drug (prescribed or not) behaviour. Jimi certainly was no Saint, he did use drugs, booze and sleeping pills carelessly, and certainly more so when he was on a tiring tour, but except for some strange scenes (being out-of-it on stage Madison Square Garden Jan. '70, again shortly before his death on stage on September 2nd 1970, or occoasionally smashing stuff and girls up, he was almost always living strictly for his music. He was to my knowledge no heavy pill, street drugs or alcohol user. Morrison indeed drank himself to death, his appearance shockingly changed in 1969-1971, and Elvis of course as well. Also, Jimi didn't slur his words on stage, he wasn't under the influence or not so that it frequently influenced his performing.

Taking his music much more seriously, being much more serious than what he was perceived as at the time. I think he felt caged by his one-dimensional image, while Jimi was a true rainbow. If he wasn't recording in the studio he was either jamming in a club or playing on stage on the road. The sheer amount and quality of material he put together in such a short time-span is awesome. The world is still catching up. From several of his sparks whole new genres, ideas, fashions and bands were born.

"Go Ahead On Mr. Businessman, You Can't Dress Like Me."

Wed May 01, 2013 11:34 am

DEH wrote:Out of all the dead young rock stars (i don't include elvis in that) Jimi Hendrix was the biggest loss. such a talent. and the "what if's" involved are so frustrating. And its extra sad because it was just a stupid accident that killed him. Granted, Jimi was not living a healthy lifestyle buts Its not like Joplin who was really tempting fate with Heroin or Morrison who was drinking himself to death.

Actually, I don't include Jimi in that group, because of the circumstances of his death.

Joplin mainlined heroin, and Elvis took both oral and injectable Dilaudid regularly, among Lord knows what else. I believe Lenny Bruce OD'd on Dilaudid. Elvis took quite the cocktail, and was truly flirting with death.

I wouldn't put Jimi at that place.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2