Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Re: Billy Joel

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:36 pm

r&b wrote:His voice makes me cringe especially when tries to pretend rock as someone mentioned. He has some nice songs, but Ive seen better singers in a lounge. If I ever hear My Life while driving, I may veer off the road! What an annoying song.

A matter of taste I guess. I know people who dislike Elvis´voice. Unbelievable, I think! Great voice in my book.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:24 am

dreambear wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I was never wild about Joel's condescending tone towards the punk movement (Glass Houses, "It's Still Rock & Roll to Me"), and some of his more pretentious efforts ("We Didn't Start the Fire" -- hello, R.E.M.!) but always had a soft spot for singles like "Big Shot." He certainly learned a lot from Paul McCartney.

I listened to "52nd street" on my way to work today. The third track on the album, "My life", has a part that sounds extremely like Paul McCartney.

The entire song is an homage to Paul McCartney: vocal, arrangement, piano solo, verse, chorus, it's all there. Joel is not just a Paul fan, he is a long-time Beatles aficionado, and it may be heard in many tracks he's released.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
dreambear wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I was never wild about Joel's condescending tone towards the punk movement (Glass Houses, "It's Still Rock & Roll to Me"), and some of his more pretentious efforts ("We Didn't Start the Fire" -- hello, R.E.M.!) but always had a soft spot for singles like "Big Shot." He certainly learned a lot from Paul McCartney.

I listened to "52nd street" on my way to work today. The third track on the album, "My life", has a part that sounds extremely like Paul McCartney.

The entire song is an homage to Paul McCartney: vocal, arrangement, piano solo, verse, chorus, it's all there. Joel is not just a Paul fan, he is a long-time Beatles aficionado, and it may be heard in many tracks he's released.

Very true. I could almost hear the Paul/Linda harmonies a ´la "Ram" too.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:13 am

I bought The Stranger last week and it is a great album.Movin' Out,The Stranger,Scenes From An Italian Restaurant and Vienna are all top notch and the rest ain't bad either.I hadn't bought into Billy Joel but I got a cheap compilation recently and enjoyed it so I thought I'd try an album and I chose The Stranger.Glass Houses and 52nd Street should be with me shortly.

norrie

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:20 am

The Stranger is a fantastic album. 52nd street is a little bit more "jazzy", but still very good. Cold spring harbor and Piano man are my other two favourites. Glass houses is ordered.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:54 am

Recieved and listened to 52nd St and Glass Houses.52nd St is a bit jazzy in places as you say dreambear but I love it.Glass Houses is a bit rockier than the other albums I've listened to but again I like it.Will have to get some more since they are going for less than a fiver on Amazon.Can't go wrong really.

norrie

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:32 pm

r&b wrote:His voice makes me cringe especially when tries to pretend rock as someone mentioned. He has some nice songs, but Ive seen better singers in a lounge. If I ever hear My Life while driving, I may veer off the road! What an annoying song.

But I still haven´t heard anything as bad as "Yoga is as yoga does" or "Dominic" in his repetoire :wink:

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:51 pm

I got "Glass houses" a few days ago. I really don´t like a track like "Sometimes a fantasy", but hey it´s still a great pop record. What do you other guys think?

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:24 am

There's a bit of the Buddy Holly "hiccup" on Sometimes a Fantasy which shows Joel was influenced by the late Texan. Do you like the songs Don't Ask me Why and Through The Long Night on Glass Houses record ?

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Yes! Those two songs are good tracks. The opener "You may be right" is a favourite. But there´s not a single track like "Scenes from an Italian restaurant". The whole "The stranger" album is fantastic. Glass houses is only very good ;-)

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:44 pm

My favorite is "Piano Man":

phpBB [video]

Fri May 10, 2013 3:01 pm

A while ago I bought his live record "Songs in the attic" and I have to say it was a hell of a record. Very good audio and some versions are better performed than their studio brothers and sisters. It´s an highly recommended record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_in_the_Attic

Have nice weekend!

Wed May 22, 2013 2:31 am

Got the Piano Man album last week and it might just be my favourite Billy Joel album.It's got a bit of a country rock vibe going through it and some of the songs that I'm new too like Travellin' Prayer,Ain't No Crime and especially Stop In Nevada are great.

norrie

Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 am

My favourite Billy Joel uptempo sing-a-long is River Of Dreams.
Love the video too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSq4B_zHqPM

Thu May 23, 2013 2:18 pm

norrie wrote:Got the Piano Man album last week and it might just be my favourite Billy Joel album.It's got a bit of a country rock vibe going through it and some of the songs that I'm new too like Travellin' Prayer,Ain't No Crime and especially Stop In Nevada are great.

norrie

Check out the credits: Ron Tutt is playing on the album. I have ordered "The nylon curtain" now and like Tom Petty sang: "The waiting, is the hardest part"

Fri May 24, 2013 1:33 am

dreambear wrote:
norrie wrote:Got the Piano Man album last week and it might just be my favourite Billy Joel album.It's got a bit of a country rock vibe going through it and some of the songs that I'm new too like Travellin' Prayer,Ain't No Crime and especially Stop In Nevada are great.

norrie

Check out the credits: Ron Tutt is playing on the album. I have ordered "The nylon curtain" now and like Tom Petty sang: "The waiting, is the hardest part"

The Nylon Curtain is another good album and it contains IMO Billy Joels greatest song Goodnight Saigon.

norrie

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:32 pm

"The nylon curtain" was the hardest album yet to get into, but after 3-4 spins, I really like it. My problem was that there´s a slight 80´s production hanging over, but there are some really strong songs on it, lie "A room of our own", "Goodnight Saigon" and "Allentown". As a swede, I have to give the track "Scandinavian skies" a special mention ;-). Next purchase will be "An innocent man".

Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:03 pm

If "My Life" is the ultimate Paul McCartney-ish song in Joel´s catalouge, "Surprises" is the ulimate John Lennon tribute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdCAUU-0vH4

A very good track from "The nylon curtain".

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:28 am

Now I have collected "An innocent man", "The bridge" and "Stormfront". A mixed bag of records. The first one was as good as expected with plenty of good songs. I had low expectations for "The Bridge" but was pleasently surprised. I had heard "This is the time" before and it´s such a beautiful song, but the rest is almost as good. Check out the duet with Ray Charles:
phpBB [video]

However, the bad news is that "Storm front" is the most boring of his albums yet (haven´t heard "Rivers of dreams" album more than once). "Leningrand" and "And so it goes" is nice, but it´s still a uninspired effort from Billy, in my opinion of course.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:46 pm

The Downeaster Alexa is a classic

Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Yes, I forgot about that track. It´s ok.