Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Dean Martin - Collected Cool Box Set

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:08 pm

The ultimate collection from the man who Playboy called “the coolest man who ever lived” and who Elvis Presley worshipped and admired – Rat Pack legend Dean Martin!

• 3 CDs – 61 Tracks + DVD with 60 minutes of live footage!
• 60-page booklet
• Includes all the hits from both his Capitol Records and Reprise years
• Features a rare 1962 recording of Dino's concert at Cal-Neva Lodge in Lake Tahoe, CA – released in its entirety.
• DVD features live footage from his 1983 show at London's Apollo Victoria Theatre show in 1983 – never been made commercially available until now.

info

http://www.popmarket.com/details/27809131

Re: Dean Martin - Collected Cool Box Set

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:10 am

This is a fine set, despite a lot of repetition for those who are familiar with Martin and own other compilations or original albums. But the live material and rarer recordings make up for that, whilst the booklet, packaging, etc. is very nice. For a great singer and a marvellous song stylist, this kind of set was long overdue. Whilst, it's encouraging to see the results of two - or more - music companies combining to offer more comprehensive releases, such as this, Sinatra: Best of the Best, etc.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:46 am

While this set has looked tempting, it never has really looked tempting enough. The show on DVD which I've seen in poor quality in the past is fun, but hardly Martin at his best - although the changes to the normal live repertoire is nice. The first two CDs are pretty redundant to anyone with more than a handful of Martin CDs and the third CD might be a fun live show, but I doubt if there is anything revelatory - and I've never really felt that Martin live works well on CD as there's so much joking around - the exception to that is the Winchester show with Sinatra from 1977 when Martin is in surprisingly serious form when it comes to his own set. It all looks very nice, but due to the lazy programming of the first two discs, I wonder how many people will take up the offer.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:51 am

Nice, but leave me with my 4 bear family box sets, they're awesome. Pity they're quite expensive.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:03 am

frus75 wrote:Nice, but leave me with my 4 bear family box sets, they're awesome. Pity they're quite expensive.

Those BF sets are well worth the money. You certainly get what you paid for.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:11 pm

8) Dean Martin is awesome!!!!! 8) :smt006 8)