Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Nancy Sinatra 1969 Vegas set list

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Was just wondering if anyone knew of Nancy Sinatra's setlist when she played Vegas in 1969 with Elvis attending? I am curious because I just saw a clip of her singing Son Of A Preacher Man from Glen Campbell's TV show in 1969. It was pretty awful and all wrong for her style. Was wondering what Elvis might have heard that night.

Re: Nancy Sinatra 1969 Vegas set list

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:27 pm

did she have a style???

Re: Nancy Sinatra 1969 Vegas set list

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:50 pm

poormadpeter wrote:did she have a style???

Are you forgetting the immortal Your Groovy Self? Wonder if she sang that one with Elvis in attendance!

Re: Nancy Sinatra 1969 Vegas set list

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:26 pm

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:did she have a style???

Are you forgetting the immortal Your Groovy Self? Wonder if she sang that one with Elvis in attendance!


Nancy and Priscilla could have done a duet together. Nancy... "Til you bring your groovy self on home to me" and Priscilla... "Don’t take up with no alley cats."

You can tell everyone's having a great time at Nancy's opening night party...

Image

Re: Nancy Sinatra 1969 Vegas set list

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:18 pm

poormadpeter wrote:did she have a style???

She sure did. Late sixties bubblegum-pop. And she did it very well! Her handful of late 60's albums are really enjoyable.

Re: Nancy Sinatra 1969 Vegas set list

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:10 am

r&b wrote:Was just wondering if anyone knew of Nancy Sinatra's setlist when she played Vegas in 1969 with Elvis attending? I am curious because I just saw a clip of her singing Son Of A Preacher Man from Glen Campbell's TV show in 1969. It was pretty awful and all wrong for her style. Was wondering what Elvis might have heard that night.


Nancy must have done her hits, selected album tracks and covers of the day. Maybe even "Memories," which she released on LP that year. Anything you can find that she did on TV in 1968-1969 may well have been in her set.


phpBB [video]

Nancy Sinatra, "Here, There and Everywhere" ("Jack Benny's New Look," NBC-TV, Wednesday, December 3, 1969)


Nancy Sinatra made some great records. It's seems clear Karen Carpenter must have listened closely to the pop sound Nancy crafted with producers Lee Hazlewood and Billy Strange.

Re: Nancy Sinatra 1969 Vegas set list

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Nancy Sinatra made some great records. It's seems clear Karen Carpenter must have listened closely to the pop sound Nancy crafted with producers Lee Hazlewood and Billy Strange.


Good observation Doc. The "Here There Everywhere" clip is VERY Carpenters-ish as are many of her tracks from that period! Great clip by the way. Looks good and sounds good.

I really enjoy her Beatles covers in particular Day Tripper and Run For Your Life! Her collaborations with Hazlewood are great.

Would be nice to see a Nancy show from the late 60s to see how it's formatted and presented.

Re: Nancy Sinatra 1969 Vegas set list

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:45 am

Nancy's way underrated, at least in her '60s tracks. She was just booming with attitude that helped make up for her technical shortcomings. Many of the recordings she did as duets with Lee Hazlewood are some of the most unique and ambitous of their era especially "Summer Wine" and "Some Velvet Morning."