Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Madonna - Causing A Commotion

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:31 am

Something of a lost classic from Madonna's enormously successful peak years.

Used as the opening title theme [in a really cute cartoon sequence - see below] from her 1987 film Who's That Girl; Causing A Commotion was a track that was only prevented from reaching the top spot on the Billboard Hot 100 by Michael Jackson's Bad [N.B. A video promo for Causing A Commotion was sadly never produced].

Since then none of the regular big hit compilations/retrospectives ["The Immaculate Collection", "GHV2" or "Celebration"] has ever picked the song up.
A shame really, as it demonstrates once again, the incredibly catchy choruses and irresistible hooks Madonna was consistently coming up with in the 1980's. By which time, her success had grown so great and vast, she even finds time to reference - with a consciously swaggering bravado - her own stunning 1985 hit "Get Into The Groove" :

I hope you find what you're looking for,
Is it mine, walk through that door,
We're wasting time, make up your mind,
And get into the groove
.

phpBB [video]


Nicely crafted "fan created" montage video (note the yet further Presley iconography in the 1987 live performance footage)

phpBB [video]


Live performance ("Now I'm gonna kick some ass!") - Blonde Ambition Tour 1990 (Nice, France)

phpBB [video]


Who's That Girl (1987) - opening credits/scene clips

Image

Original single artwork

Re: Madonna - Causing A Commotion

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:40 am

I've never considered Causing a Commotion to be inferior Madonna, despite its lack of greater renown -- perhaps it's guilty by association to Who's That Girl, which is unfair. This was a great single, superbly produced and very memorable. I think Madonna appreciated that, having worked hard with the song during subsequent tours. I'd call it one of her best.

Re: Madonna - Causing A Commotion

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:30 am

I remember seeing Madonna in Miami, '87, I guess it was, started to rain and she came on with her back up singers doin' their thing.

Suddenly, at the very end of the performance, one of her dancers fell in front of 20,000 people and later I found out it was simulacast "Live" over a television audience.

All I could think was, that poor girl, she looked like she bashed her face against the stage, but she was a professional and carried on.

All Madonna could do was say "Thank You" in a very somber way. She looked embarrassed even, but That's my memory of this song everytime I hear it, which, in this day and age, is very rare.

Re: Madonna - Causing A Commotion

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:12 pm

I remember very well that Madonna, next to Michael Jackson, was the biggest single act in the world in the 80s and early 90s. There was a long time where almost everything she touched (save for her movies) turned into gold. Every girl wanted to be like her, and every boy wanted to be with her.

She combined sexuality with lots of charisma, and she was bold and provocative in a way that was intruiging and not seen before. The true succcessor to Marilyn Monroe, she took it further.

She definitely pused the boundaries, like Elvis did in the 50s. She did it all and was boss.

In that time, almost every single was a big hit, and she ruled the radio and dancefloor, almost everybody in those days whas a fan. Essentially, there was -to me- only one other significant new female artist and she has gone sadly: Amy Winehouse, albeit in a different genre, but all the other female singers in pop, rock or soul since Madonna are or were not quite the trendsetters like Madonna and Amy were.

Re: Madonna - Causing A Commotion

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:26 am

minkahed wrote:I remember seeing Madonna in Miami, '87, I guess it was, started to rain and she came on with her back up singers doin' their thing.

Suddenly, at the very end of the performance, one of her dancers fell in front of 20,000 people and later I found out it was simulacast "Live" over a television audience.

All I could think was, that poor girl, she looked like she bashed her face against the stage, but she was a professional and carried on.

All Madonna could do was say "Thank You" in a very somber way. She looked embarrassed even, but That's my memory of this song everytime I hear it, which, in this day and age, is very rare.

WOW! So you got to see Madonna at the Orange Bowl on the opening night of the North American leg of the "Who's That Girl" World Tour.
Very cool!

Your recollection of the gig is spot-on, minkahed [see the clip below].
[N.B. It was Donna De Lory (who still works with Madonna) that happened to slip in the rain].

This is a particular show I've always wanted to see from this tour - but alas, as far as I'm aware, MTV only broadcast select clips.

Even though the whole tour was pro-shot, the Tokyo and Turin gigs are the only concerts to have seen an official release [and one of them only as an exclusive Japan LaserDisc/video].

Thanks for the memories!

phpBB [video]


Causing A Commotion - June 27, 1987 (Miami, Florida)

phpBB [video]


MTV Miami news report

Re: Madonna - Causing A Commotion

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:11 am

James27 wrote:I remember very well that Madonna, next to Michael Jackson, was the biggest single act in the world in the 80s and early 90s. There was a long time where almost everything she touched (save for her movies) turned into gold. Every girl wanted to be like her, and every boy wanted to be with her.

She combined sexuality with lots of charisma, and she was bold and provocative in a way that was intruiging and not seen before. The true succcessor to Marilyn Monroe, she took it further.

She definitely pused the boundaries, like Elvis did in the 50s. She did it all and was boss.

In that time, almost every single was a big hit, and she ruled the radio and dancefloor, almost everybody in those days whas a fan. Essentially, there was -to me- only one other significant new female artist and she has gone sadly: Amy Winehouse, albeit in a different genre, but all the other female singers in pop, rock or soul since Madonna are or were not quite the trendsetters like Madonna and Amy were.

Great post, James.

It's very good to see that there are like-minded people on this forum [amongst the detractors/haters] who recognize what a truly unique and exceptional artist Madonna is.

I also agree with what you say about Amy Winehouse, of whom I'm a huge fan too.

During her formative years, Amy was heavily influenced by Madonna.
Indeed she once said: "At age 11, I used to listen Madonna's The Immaculate Collection every day."

And Madonna stated, in a somewhat prophetic 2008 interview for ELLE magazine: "I think Amy Winehouse is amazing. She is dealing with many demons, but is young and has an incredible talent. I hope she can make it to the top."

P.S. You might like this mashup --> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72291

Re: Madonna - Causing A Commotion

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:19 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
James27 wrote:I remember very well that Madonna, next to Michael Jackson, was the biggest single act in the world in the 80s and early 90s. There was a long time where almost everything she touched (save for her movies) turned into gold. Every girl wanted to be like her, and every boy wanted to be with her.

She combined sexuality with lots of charisma, and she was bold and provocative in a way that was intruiging and not seen before. The true succcessor to Marilyn Monroe, she took it further.

She definitely pused the boundaries, like Elvis did in the 50s. She did it all and was boss.

In that time, almost every single was a big hit, and she ruled the radio and dancefloor, almost everybody in those days whas a fan. Essentially, there was -to me- only one other significant new female artist and she has gone sadly: Amy Winehouse, albeit in a different genre, but all the other female singers in pop, rock or soul since Madonna are or were not quite the trendsetters like Madonna and Amy were.

Great post, James.

It's very good to see that there are like-minded people on this forum [amongst the detractors/haters] who recognize what a truly unique and exceptional artist Madonna is.

I also agree with what you say about Amy Winehouse, of whom I'm a huge fan too.

During her formative years, Amy was heavily influenced by Madonna.
Indeed she once said: "At age 11, I used to listen Madonna's The Immaculate Collection every day."

And Madonna stated, in a somewhat prophetic 2008 interview for ELLE magazine: "I think Amy Winehouse is amazing. She is dealing with many demons, but is young and has an incredible talent. I hope she can make it to the top."

P.S. You might like this mashup --> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72291


That was fun, thanks! In one of the vids - the news report, I saw old-timey VJ Mark Goodman! Ah, the memories!

rjm

Re: Madonna - Causing A Commotion

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:23 pm

I think true talent recognizes other true talent. Madonna recognizes Elvis, like Amy recognized Madonna's influence. That's cool to know that Madonna appreciated Amy, as well.

As a Belgian citizen I'm proud of the "Belgian link" with Madonna! ;-)
Although, of course, she definitely didn't need this or that country, she did it her way and by herself, and for a woman in such a trecherous industry, wow. She also introduced the trend of being clean and in top conditon and still be "rock 'n' roll" and provocative. She survived, physically and artistically. Her influence on pop culture cannot be underestimated, but as usual, respect takes time...

elvisalisellers wrote:
James27 wrote:I remember very well that Madonna, next to Michael Jackson, was the biggest single act in the world in the 80s and early 90s. There was a long time where almost everything she touched (save for her movies) turned into gold. Every girl wanted to be like her, and every boy wanted to be with her.

She combined sexuality with lots of charisma, and she was bold and provocative in a way that was intruiging and not seen before. The true succcessor to Marilyn Monroe, she took it further.

She definitely pused the boundaries, like Elvis did in the 50s. She did it all and was boss.

In that time, almost every single was a big hit, and she ruled the radio and dancefloor, almost everybody in those days whas a fan. Essentially, there was -to me- only one other significant new female artist and she has gone sadly: Amy Winehouse, albeit in a different genre, but all the other female singers in pop, rock or soul since Madonna are or were not quite the trendsetters like Madonna and Amy were.

Great post, James.

It's very good to see that there are like-minded people on this forum [amongst the detractors/haters] who recognize what a truly unique and exceptional artist Madonna is.

I also agree with what you say about Amy Winehouse, of whom I'm a huge fan too.

During her formative years, Amy was heavily influenced by Madonna.
Indeed she once said: "At age 11, I used to listen Madonna's The Immaculate Collection every day."

And Madonna stated, in a somewhat prophetic 2008 interview for ELLE magazine: "I think Amy Winehouse is amazing. She is dealing with many demons, but is young and has an incredible talent. I hope she can make it to the top."

P.S. You might like this mashup --> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72291

Re: Madonna - Causing A Commotion

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:05 pm

This pic of the over-rated white disco singer / stripper is causing a commotion online at the moment. LOL
MADGE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Madonna - Causing A Commotion

Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:10 pm

Tony.. wrote:This pic of the over-rated white disco singer / stripper is causing a commotion online at the moment. LOL

Just this once, I will tell you gently not to post any of your dumb-ass kind of shite on my threads in future.

Re: Madonna - Causing A Commotion

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:59 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
Tony.. wrote:This pic of the over-rated white disco singer / stripper is causing a commotion online at the moment. LOL

Just this once, I will tell you gently not to post any of your dumb-ass kind of shite on my threads in future.


You no like the humour? :wink: