Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:37 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Claus wrote:Absolutely. But this set doesn't come with a hard-cover book. :wink:

It still baffles me that a down-sized version of the Elvis set hasn't been released and is widely available. If Sony can release a 63-disc Johnny Cash box, they can also release a 30-disc Elvis box.

Why quit milking the cow as long as it gets? :wink:
If they'd to, this thing would probably still cost at least about 300 - 400 Euros...
poormadpeter wrote:Despite my criticisms about there being certain material missing from the set, I have to say I am looking forward to this. I sincerely hope that the CD debut of the vast majority of his 70s and 80s albums will lead to a re-evaluation of them, because I do genuinely feel they are unfairly maligned on the whole (although albums such as Johnny Cash and his Woman deserves all the criticism it gets!)

Edit: Obviously it is worth saying that the above track listing might not be totally accurate - certainly the track listings that appeared for the recent 20 disc set of Elvis albums were not accurate in places - and I notice the Gospel Road albums lists "Help" instead of "Help Me" throughout. From what I remember of that double album, the term "help me" was what I was pleading by the time I got to the end!!!

Even though the tracklisting might not be totally accurate, I don't expect any surprises at all. I hate to say it but I can't stand June Carter's "singing", that's why I almost NEVER listen to the duets, maybe except for "Jackson" or "If I Were A Carpenter".
I am really looking forward to hear all of the 70's albums, I really like the ones I know ("Silver", "Ragged Old Flag", "I Would Like To See You Again" and the ones included on the Bear box).

I have to say I agree for the most part with June Carter, although their chemistry together can be quite sweet. But I can't think of the last time I listened to either of the albums of duets. darlin Companion was a fun addition to the live repertoire though.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:57 am

June Carter is another case of YokoOnoness in music

Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:00 am

javilu wrote:June Carter is another case of YokoOnoness in music

:D

Although I must say on the Bear Family issue "It's All In The Family", which includes a solo album of hers, there's one song I actually kinda liked... :wink:

Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:45 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:

Although I must say on the Bear Family issue "It's All In The Family", which includes a solo album of hers, there's one song I actually kinda liked... :wink:

It was a great pairing - a June Carter album paired with one in which Johnny Cash sang about dinosaurs and fire engines!

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:51 am

poormadpeter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

It was a great pairing - a June Carter album paired with one in which Johnny Cash sang about dinosaurs and fire engines!

That's true, it was a really strange decision.

Haven't heard her final album yet, is it worth listening to?

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:31 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

That's true, it was a really strange decision.

Haven't heard her final album yet, is it worth listening to?

I never thought she could sing when she was younger, so my guess is no! lol

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:38 pm

Comparing June to Yoko is harsh and I've never understood what was wrong with Yoko either.

June always said that she wasn't much of a singer. Her sisters Helen and Anita were extremely talented.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:55 am

Claus wrote:Comparing June to Yoko is harsh and I've never understood what was wrong with Yoko either.

June always said that she wasn't much of a singer. Her sisters Helen and Anita were extremely talented.

True. I have the Bear Family CD "Ring Of Fire" by Anita Carter, but hardly ever listened to it.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:19 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:True. I have the Bear Family CD "Ring Of Fire" by Anita Carter, but hardly ever listened to it.

It's a great cd. She had an incredible voice. I also like her version of I'm Counting On You.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:42 pm

I have received news from Sony that Johnny Cash: The Complete Columbia Album Collection has been delayed until mid-December.

However you can still pre-order at the Fanzine Store - http://www.johnnycashfanzine.com/store.html

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:17 pm

cashfan wrote:I have received news from Sony that Johnny Cash: The Complete Columbia Album Collection has been delayed until mid-December.

However you can still pre-order at the Fanzine Store - http://www.johnnycashfanzine.com/store.html

That's going to screw up their plans for that being bought as Christmas presents then. And a delayed release from Sony? never!

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:06 pm

Received an advance copy of Johnny Cash The Complete Columbia Album Collection.

A fantastic package with each CD in a reproduction sleeve along with a 200-page book with liner notes, track-by-track details and many rare photos.

A full review will appear in the next issue of the fanzine.

Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:10 pm

cashfan wrote:Received an advance copy of Johnny Cash The Complete Columbia Album Collection.

A fantastic package with each CD in a reproduction sleeve along with a 200-page book with liner notes, track-by-track details and many rare photos.

A full review will appear in the next issue of the fanzine.

Peter

And, most importantly, spines on each repro sleeve so you can see what they are from the shelf! yay! And news on the new release date? Amazon are still saying end of october!

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:16 pm

I have been told that the release date is now 3rd December.

Peter

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:46 pm

Now reduced to £123 on amazon.co.uk

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:54 am

I probably have to cancel my order due to money issues.
Man, it's even cheaper in the UK than over here in Germany (where it's 159,99 Euros right now).

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:36 pm

Luckily enough I received some money by the end of November - so I don't have to cancel my order and look forward to this beauty in a couple of days... :smt007

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:54 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Luckily enough I received some money by the end of November - so I don't have to cancel my order and look forward to this beauty in a couple of days... :smt007

I ordered mine at HMV - like to support them when possible. But it has yet to arrive at the store. They have till Thursday or it's cancelled and Amazon get the order instead! grrrr.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:16 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Luckily enough I received some money by the end of November - so I don't have to cancel my order and look forward to this beauty in a couple of days... :smt007

I ordered mine at HMV - like to support them when possible. But it has yet to arrive at the store. They have till Thursday or it's cancelled and Amazon get the order instead! grrrr.

Well, then good luck, Peter! I hope you'll get yours in time also. :smt023

I'm so excited about this release - finally listening to all of the 70's albums I could never lay my hands on... :D

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:38 pm

Hi,

You can always order it from the Johnny Cash Fanzine Store :)

http://www.johnnycashfanzine.com/store.html

Peter