Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Chet Baker: I'm A Fool To Want You (1984)

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:39 am

This has to be one of the darkest love songs, ever written. Co-written by Sinatra (his input is still unclear) and recorded by him in both 1951 and 1957. As good as Sinatra's versions are, there is something totally mesmerising about this mid-80s rendition by an ailing Chet Baker. I have always believed that, apart from the iconic Chet Baker Sings sessions from the 1950s, this was his best vocal performance - and his trumpet solo is beautiful as well. Vocal flaws notwithstanding, this is a stunning performance.

phpBB [video]

Re: Chet Baker: I'm A Fool To Want You (1984)

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:49 am

This is a fine version of a marvellous song -- one of my favourite songs, in fact, although Chet's resonant version isn't my favourite. That would one of Frank's two recordings of the song. And it truly is one of the great torch songs, of which Joel Herron has commented that Sinatra changed the lyric to convey what he felt when recording the song. And as such, said that he and Jack Wolf had to include Frank as co-writer.

Re: Chet Baker: I'm A Fool To Want You (1984)

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:54 am

It's a shame didn't take to doing the song on stage (I don't think he ever did). Considering that he resurrected the likes of Lonely Town in his 80s concert performances, it would have been good to hear an older Sinatra tackling the song and seeing what he made of it. I'm no huge fan of Billie Holiday, but her version is also rather striking.