Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:18 am

Roustabout64 wrote:Cliff is, even if it does not accept the modern man, one of the most colorful personalities of the international music world. He is on par with Shakin 'Stevens (Wales).

I agree 100%. He also has pretty strong opinions of stuff without being rude. Colorful and a true gentleman!

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:58 pm

Xaykev wrote:
Roustabout64 wrote:Cliff is, even if it does not accept the modern man, one of the most colorful personalities of the international music world. He is on par with Shakin 'Stevens (Wales).

I agree 100%. He also has pretty strong opinions of stuff without being rude. Colorful and a true gentleman!

Who has the better outside of the UK reputations?
Shaky or Cliff?

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Roustabout64 wrote:
Xaykev wrote:

Who has the better outside of the UK reputations?
Shaky or Cliff?

Cliff

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:55 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:...it's clear that Presley's vocal on this song is filled with love for Lisa, his newborn daughter, who was exactly 5 weeks old on Thursday, March 7, 1968, the date of this session.
This is a huge reason why his performance is so inspired, and so much more satisfying than Richard's effort.

phpBB [video]

Yes !

And what great opening shots for the film !

It's as if they were trying to shout out:

"This isn't your usual 'Elvis' film !
We've got something a tad different for you !"

And they did have !

Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:00 pm

Bodie wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:
Tony.. wrote:'....the great Cilla Black'??????!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I know, I chuckled at that too!

Great informative post though Doc.

Thanks, it's what I do.

Cilla was a bright light in the '60s British pop scene. The Beatles loved her. 'Nuff said.

Of course, it's just today in the UK the majority of people only really associate her as a TV personality, who presented Saturday night light-entertainment TV shows like "Surprise, Surprise" and "Blind Date" from the 1980s to the 2000s. There's a whole generation of people who probably don't even know she was once a singer.

Another example is Des O' Connor. Both were succesful pop artists in the 1960s, yet aren't really seen as serious music artists and are more known as light-entertainment TV personalities.

They're also kind of seen a bit like Cliff Richard, because he's another who had amazing chart success in the UK in the 1960s. Yet because their style of music today is so dated and not really cool, they aren't really taken too seriously as 'artists'.

Cliff is pretty much the most succesful UK act of all time along with The Beatles, but is seen as a joke by most people, and major radio stations have self-imposed bans on ever playing his music.

I really don't like much of today's music and think that the vast majority of musicians are talentless.

Cheryl Cole is a good example.
A singer that can't sing.

Mate, I feel the same as you.

I'm just telling you how it is now in 2012 with the majority of people.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:49 am

Bodie wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Not bad ,but i prefer the EP version

Me too. Just nice to hear the song with its original lyrics.

Agreed. Cliff's version is nice but i very much prefer Elvis' version.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:20 am

George Smith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
phpBB [video]

Thanks, John, I love this.

How much of the driving was Elvis and how much a stunt driver?

Our man really seems very involved and loving every moment behind the wheel. It kinda reminds me of the 'Wheels On My Heels' scene.

My understanding is most is Elvis, although no one was terribly thrilled when, at one point during production, he drove the buggy into the ocean, and it died. They had to tow the vehicle out and get it repaired.