Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:55 pm

This is the original version which was also recorded by Elvis for the film 'Live A Little, Love A Little'.

Notice the different lyrics.

http://youtu.be/CXNt-3sa0ts

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Bodie wrote:This is the original version which was also recorded by Elvis for the film 'Live A Little, Love A Little'.

Notice the different lyrics.

http://youtu.be/CXNt-3sa0ts



There are people in the world who claim that Cliff has improved the song - which is worth a thought or an exaggeration?

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:52 am

Roustabout64 wrote:
Bodie wrote:This is the original version which was also recorded by Elvis for the film 'Live A Little, Love A Little'.

Notice the different lyrics.

http://youtu.be/CXNt-3sa0ts



There are people in the world who claim that Cliff has improved the song - which is worth a thought or an exaggeration?


It's just a matter of personal taste.

I like Elvis' version better.

I like the lyric changes in Elvis' version.

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:46 am

The writers on Elvis's version are Fletcher-Flett. I would assume they are the same on Richard's, but I can't find those lyrics because he sang the Armstrong hit, and so it doesn't come up on Google.

Are they listed on his version? Anything known about when/how the lyrics were changed? This was no "One Night," so I'm certain Elvis took zero interest. So, how was this done? Did the scriptwriters have anything to do with it?

And for whom did they write it? Which lyrics came first.

Sorry for the several questions, but all regarding the lyrics.

David Neale has this:

Wonderful World recorded by Elvis on Thursday, 7 March 1968; Studio
Written by: Fletcher; Flett
Originally recorded by Cliff Richard in 1968
Hear Elvis's version on: Double Features: Live A Little, Love A Little/The Trouble With Girls
No, not the famous Louis Armstrong number, nor the similarly titled "It's A Wonderful World" from Elvis's film "Roustabout." Actually, this number was originally one of the preselections of the UK's 1968 Eurovision Song Contest entry. All six entries were sung by Cliff Richard, the winner being "Congratulations" (which went on to come second in the Eurovision Song Contest itself). "Wonderful World" came third in the preselections. Cliff recorded his version at the beginning of February, just five weeks before Elvis's cover. Strangely, the lyrics used by Elvis were very different to those sung by Cliff.


Just makes it stranger: only a few weeks.

rjm

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:36 pm

rjm wrote:The writers on Elvis's version are Fletcher-Flett. I would assume they are the same on Richard's, but I can't find those lyrics because he sang the Armstrong hit, and so it doesn't come up on Google.

Are they listed on his version? Anything known about when/how the lyrics were changed? This was no "One Night," so I'm certain Elvis took zero interest. So, how was this done? Did the scriptwriters have anything to do with it?

And for whom did they write it? Which lyrics came first.

Sorry for the several questions, but all regarding the lyrics.

David Neale has this:

Wonderful World recorded by Elvis on Thursday, 7 March 1968; Studio
Written by: Fletcher; Flett
Originally recorded by Cliff Richard in 1968
Hear Elvis's version on: Double Features: Live A Little, Love A Little/The Trouble With Girls
No, not the famous Louis Armstrong number, nor the similarly titled "It's A Wonderful World" from Elvis's film "Roustabout." Actually, this number was originally one of the preselections of the UK's 1968 Eurovision Song Contest entry. All six entries were sung by Cliff Richard, the winner being "Congratulations" (which went on to come second in the Eurovision Song Contest itself). "Wonderful World" came third in the preselections. Cliff recorded his version at the beginning of February, just five weeks before Elvis's cover. Strangely, the lyrics used by Elvis were very different to those sung by Cliff.


Just makes it stranger: only a few weeks.

rjm


Guy Fletcher spoke about this in a interview that i was lucky enough to sit through.

Fletcher and Flett wrote the song for Cliff.

He explained that the people behind the Elvis film asked for the lyrics to be changed for some reason.

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:44 pm

Ask His nephew , also called Guy Fletcher.
He is Mark Knopflers side kick,producer ,musician etc. He takes questions on his website forum .
He usually answers all the questions sent within a day or so .

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:44 pm

This was one of the songs in the pot for Cliff's entry for the Eurovision song contest of 1968. The winner was 'Congratulations'. The other 5 contenders were scattered about on EP releases I believe.

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:15 pm

Tony.. wrote:This was one of the songs in the pot for Cliff's entry for the Eurovision song contest of 1968. The winner was 'Congratulations'. The other 5 contenders were scattered about on EP releases I believe.


All 6 songs were on one EP and 5 songs were only available on this EP, while "Congratulations" was available on many other discs.

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Not bad ,but i prefer the EP version

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:09 am

keninlincs wrote:Not bad ,but i prefer the EP version


Me too.

Just nice to hear the song with its original lyrics.

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:10 am

Bodie wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Not bad ,but i prefer the EP version


Me too.

Just nice to hear the song with its original lyrics.

Yes it was an interesting listen

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Great version and I like both of them. Cliff's voice is a pleasure to listen to.

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:27 pm

The question remains: Could Cliff with his version of an emotional and artistic influence on Elvis, which he in the movie "Live A Little, Love a Little" used?

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:44 pm

Bodie wrote:This is the original version which was also recorded by Elvis for the film 'Live A Little, Love A Little'.

Notice the different lyrics.

phpBB [video]




Here's the January 1968 U.K. TV performance by Cliff Richard:


phpBB [video]


"A Song For Europe," BBC One, Saturday, January 27, 1968
Introduction by the great Cilla Black.
Richard taped his studio version the following Friday, at Abbey Road on February 2, 1968.

http://www.cliffrichardsongs.com/popup.php?data=WonderfulWorld19685_popupplus

It was "song #1" that night, and ultimately came in third in the voting to "Congratulations."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest_1968


Elvis' recording of "Wonderful World" is unique for more than the revised lyrics. He had seldom -- if ever -- cut songs with a 3/4 time signature. And in fact the entire soundtrack session, helmed by Billy Strange, is an attempt to break through old conventions. That an orchestra was present was significant.

Soundtrack Sessions for M.G.M.: Live a Little, Love a Little, March 7, 1968
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s680307.htm

Also, it's clear that Presley's vocal on this song is filled with love for Lisa, his newborn daughter, who was exactly 5 weeks old on Thursday, March 7, 1968, the date of this session. This is a huge reason why his performance is so inspired, and so much more satisfying than Richard's effort.


phpBB [video]

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:46 pm

I would suggest that, despite in enduring popularity for special occasions, this is a far better song than Congratulations.

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks Doc, perfectly put.

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:10 pm

'....the great Cilla Black'??????!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Bodie wrote:Thanks Doc, perfectly put.

Thanks, man!

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Tony.. wrote:'....the great Cilla Black'??????!!!!!!!!!! LOL


I know, I chuckled at that too!

Great informative post though Doc.

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:31 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:
Tony.. wrote:'....the great Cilla Black'??????!!!!!!!!!! LOL


I know, I chuckled at that too!

Great informative post though Doc.

Thanks, it's what I do.

Cilla was a bright light in the '60s British pop scene. The Beatles loved her. 'Nuff said.

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:49 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:
Tony.. wrote:'....the great Cilla Black'??????!!!!!!!!!! LOL


I know, I chuckled at that too!

Great informative post though Doc.

Thanks, it's what I do.

Cilla was a bright light in the '60s British pop scene. The Beatles loved her. 'Nuff said.


Of course, it's just today in the UK the majority of people only really associate her as a TV personality, who presented Saturday night light-entertainment TV shows like "Surprise, Surprise" and "Blind Date" from the 1980s to the 2000s. There's a whole generation of people who probably don't even know she was once a singer.

Another example is Des O' Connor. Both were succesful pop artists in the 1960s, yet aren't really seen as serious music artists and are more known as light-entertainment TV personalities.

They're also kind of seen a bit like Cliff Richard, because he's another who had amazing chart success in the UK in the 1960s. Yet because their style of music today is so dated and not really cool, they aren't really taken too seriously as 'artists'.

Cliff is pretty much the most succesful UK act of all time along with The Beatles, but is seen as a joke by most people, and major radio stations have self-imposed bans on ever playing his music.

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:
Tony.. wrote:'....the great Cilla Black'??????!!!!!!!!!! LOL


I know, I chuckled at that too!

Great informative post though Doc.

Thanks, it's what I do.

Cilla was a bright light in the '60s British pop scene. The Beatles loved her. 'Nuff said.

They're also kind of seen a bit like Cliff Richard, because he's another who had amazing chart success in the UK in the 1960s. Yet because their style of music today is so dated and not really cool, they aren't really taken too seriously as 'artists'.

Cliff is pretty much the most succesful UK act of all time along with The Beatles, but is seen as a joke by most people, and major radio stations have self-imposed bans on ever playing his music.

And that's just sad. He has released some great albums the 10 years.

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:
Tony.. wrote:'....the great Cilla Black'??????!!!!!!!!!! LOL


I know, I chuckled at that too!

Great informative post though Doc.

Thanks, it's what I do.

Cilla was a bright light in the '60s British pop scene. The Beatles loved her. 'Nuff said.


Of course, it's just today in the UK the majority of people only really associate her as a TV personality, who presented Saturday night light-entertainment TV shows like "Surprise, Surprise" and "Blind Date" from the 1980s to the 2000s. There's a whole generation of people who probably don't even know she was once a singer.

Another example is Des O' Connor. Both were succesful pop artists in the 1960s, yet aren't really seen as serious music artists and are more known as light-entertainment TV personalities.

They're also kind of seen a bit like Cliff Richard, because he's another who had amazing chart success in the UK in the 1960s. Yet because their style of music today is so dated and not really cool, they aren't really taken too seriously as 'artists'.

Cliff is pretty much the most succesful UK act of all time along with The Beatles, but is seen as a joke by most people, and major radio stations have self-imposed bans on ever playing his music.


I really don't like much of today's music and think that the vast majority of musicians are talentless.

Cheryl Cole is a good example.
A singer that can't sing.

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:01 am

Cliff is, even if it does not accept the modern man, one of the most colorful personalities of the international music world. He is on par with Shakin 'Stevens (Wales).

Re: 'Wonderful World' by Cliff Richard.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
phpBB [video]


Thanks, John, I love this.

How much of the driving was Elvis and how much a stunt driver?

Our man really seems very involved and loving every moment behind the wheel. It kinda reminds me of the 'Wheels On My Heels' scene.