Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

14 Years Ago, May 14

Tue May 15, 2012 5:40 am

On May 14, 1998, at 10:50 PM, at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Frank Sinatra died at 82 years old.

This is, I guess, the one that I first loved, of his work.

Hope you're enjoying the Heavenly Chorus, Frank. "Thanks for the Cheer"

And, one more for the road . . .

phpBB [video]

rjm

Re: 14 Years Ago, May 14

Tue May 15, 2012 9:08 am

A true Legend in his time

Tue May 15, 2012 1:57 pm

Is it really that long ago already? I still remember hearing the news on the radio and then they played (of course) "My Way".

Tue May 15, 2012 3:58 pm

I was watching the Seinfeld finale when the news broke.

Wed May 16, 2012 8:29 am

TCB-FAN wrote:I was watching the Seinfeld finale when the news broke.

As I recall it, the show was over by the time he was taken to the hospital, here in L.A. It aired earlier in NY, of course. (Dunno about the U.K. Didn't even realize that it played over there on the same night. Thanks for the info.)

Anyway, as I recall, the show was over before he called for help. (I've tried to look up the time the show went on the air, and it's not clear. They said it last I hour, 15 minutes.)

That finale was a MAJOR pop culture milestone, to which millions were looking forward. Huge ratings, huge.

So, I know its weird, but at the time, I figured Frank, like millions, wasn't going anywhere 'till he found out how it ended! (I know that sounds irreverent and all, but that's how I remember it. The two events dovetail in my mind.)

No disrespect intended. It felt like a pop-cultural harmonic convergence. There was something appropriate about the connection. Seinfeld was about (middle-class) life in The City, and really, about loneliness in The City, as was much of Frank's music and persona. I guess that's why it made a kind of sense. Jerry didn't lean against a lamppost, but he might have.

Frank-Sinatra-In-The-Wee-Small-Hours.jpg

At that point, the 20th century really did come to an end. (Which is what people used to say: "the 20th century will be over when Frank Sinatra dies.") Everything, and I mean everything, changed after that.

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.