Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Willie does Coldplay

Thu May 10, 2012 2:38 am

From his new album Heroes out 14 May.I think this is a brilliant cover,have a listen.

phpBB [video]




norrie

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Thu May 10, 2012 9:22 am

Great track Norrie ,the rest of the album is superb

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Thu May 10, 2012 9:49 am

I've heard a few tracks from Heroes and it's promising to be another good album from Willie. Nice to hear him working with Snoop Dogg and Kristofferson again. He's still one of the most prolific, reliable and consistent recording artists in the business. Hope to see him in concert again soon -- he's outstanding live.

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Thu May 10, 2012 9:54 am

greystoke wrote:I've heard a few tracks from Heroes and it's promising to be another good album from Willie. Nice to hear him working with Snoop Dogg and Kristofferson again. He's still one of the most prolific, reliable and consistent recording artists in the business. Hope to see him in concert again soon -- he's outstanding live.

Yes he is really good live,i have had the pleasure of seeing him live numerous times,solo and as part of"The Highwaymen"and had the pleasure of meeting up with him backstage,i have had the promo of new album a couple of weeks now,it wont disappoint

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Thu May 10, 2012 9:21 pm

Quite a nice version, thanks

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Fri May 11, 2012 2:05 am

keninlincs wrote:
greystoke wrote:I've heard a few tracks from Heroes and it's promising to be another good album from Willie. Nice to hear him working with Snoop Dogg and Kristofferson again. He's still one of the most prolific, reliable and consistent recording artists in the business. Hope to see him in concert again soon -- he's outstanding live.

Yes he is really good live,i have had the pleasure of seeing him live numerous times,solo and as part of"The Highwaymen"and had the pleasure of meeting up with him backstage,i have had the promo of new album a couple of weeks now,it wont disappoint



I've seen him live a few times too and he is always great.
Wish I had seen him with the Highwaymen though, that must have been great keninlincs

norrie

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Fri May 11, 2012 2:23 am

norrie wrote:
keninlincs wrote:
greystoke wrote:I've heard a few tracks from Heroes and it's promising to be another good album from Willie. Nice to hear him working with Snoop Dogg and Kristofferson again. He's still one of the most prolific, reliable and consistent recording artists in the business. Hope to see him in concert again soon -- he's outstanding live.

Yes he is really good live,i have had the pleasure of seeing him live numerous times,solo and as part of"The Highwaymen"and had the pleasure of meeting up with him backstage,i have had the promo of new album a couple of weeks now,it wont disappoint


I've seen him live a few times too and he is always great.
Wish I had seen him with the Highwaymen though, that must have been great keninlincs

norrie


I've seen him live four times -- he was excellent on every occasion.

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Fri May 11, 2012 4:07 am

I do think his last few albums have shown his voice to be considerably more weathered now as he approaches his 80th birthday in less than a year's time. That's not to say he should stop, because he still does what he does very well and clearly still enjoys the buzz of a live show, but old age is certainly making itself present in a way that couldn't be heard on the excellent Songbird and Two Men With The Blues, recorded just six and four years ago respectively.

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Fri May 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Willie is fantastic, seen him live, unfortunately only once. I have the Bear Family box ("Nashville Was The Roughest") including TWO autographs - one previously done for Bear Family by Willie and one I received personally.

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Mon May 14, 2012 11:38 am

Me and Willie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Mon May 14, 2012 12:54 pm

keninlincs wrote:Me and Willie

Very cool, Ken - thanks for posting!

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Mon May 14, 2012 3:14 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Me and Willie

Very cool, Ken - thanks for posting!

You are welcome LJ

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Tue May 15, 2012 1:10 am

keninlincs wrote:Me and Willie


Wow! Great pic, Ken!

Where was it taken? Is there a story?

Thanks!

rjm

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Tue May 15, 2012 1:50 am

Very cool Ken.

norrie

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Tue May 15, 2012 8:41 am

norrie wrote:Very cool Ken.

norrie

Cheers Norrie

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Tue May 15, 2012 8:49 am

rjm wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Me and Willie


Wow! Great pic, Ken!

Where was it taken? Is there a story?

Thanks!

rjm

Hi Robin
The photo was taken outside the Manchester Apollo in 2008 just before the gig there,interestingly i had on the "University of Memphis "t shirt worn by Elvis in "Change Of Habit" and Willie said "Oh Memphis"have you been?and have you been to Texas?then he recommended Abbot Texas for a future visit,we had about 2 minutes chatting about visiting the USA in general,during the show he said "hello to my good friends Ken and Joanne"which was very nice
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Tue May 15, 2012 10:21 am

keninlincs wrote:
rjm wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Me and Willie


Wow! Great pic, Ken!

Where was it taken? Is there a story?

Thanks!

rjm

Hi Robin
The photo was taken outside the Manchester Apollo in 2008 just before the gig there,interestingly i had on the "University of Memphis "t shirt worn by Elvis in "Change Of Habit" and Willie said "Oh Memphis"have you been?and have you been to Texas?then he recommended Abbot Texas for a future visit,we had about 2 minutes chatting about visiting the USA in general,during the show he said "hello to my good friends Ken and Joanne"which was very nice


What a nice guy: "hello to my good friends, Ken and Joanne." They don't make stars like that anymore, I think! What a great experience. (I almost bought that shirt, but Elvis was wearing a sweatshirt, and for some reason, they changed it to a T-shirt. I thought maybe they hadn't printed up the sweatshirts yet. But then, it never did come out. Wish I'd have gotten the T-shirt.)

Wonderful, Ken.
I'll be picking up his new CD tomorrow. (No digital downloading for Willie!)

Robin

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Wed May 16, 2012 2:04 am

The new album Heroes is a darn fine collection of songs with some real gems.
The gems (after 3 listens) are the opening track which is a reworking of A Horse Called Music
with Merle Haggard adding his considerable talent to it.Great start.Roll Me Up is a fun song with fellow pot heads Snoop Dog (singing..not rapping) Kriss Kristofferson and Jamey Johnston.It almost wants me to get stoned myself !
Hero with Jamey Johnson and the great Billy joe Shaver is a nice slow paced foot tapper, simple but effective.
The cover of Pearl Jam's Just Breath with his son Lukas Nelson shows how a good song can cross genres if done as effectivley as this is.
Home In San Antone a 1943 Fred Rose song is a swinging foot stomper,Willie always gives a good country history lesson.
The cover of Coldplays The Scientst is for me the absolute highlight (and I'm not a fan of Coldplay)
I've played this one to a few at work and they have been blown away with it.I don't know if Country radio in the USA have been all over it but they should.It might be Willies Hurt.

The rest is pretty good.One minor criticism is that his son Lukas nearly,but not quite overstays his welcome-he sings on 9 out of the 14-He's good but,well I would rather hear more Willie but that aside it's a very satisfying album by a true legend.

norrie

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Wed May 16, 2012 2:29 am

keninlincs wrote:Me and Willie


Too cool for school, Ken!

Great photo. I also saw Willie in 2008. This would have been the last time I saw him in person. I met Paul English before the concert. No picture, I'm afraid. But Willie would certainly be in my top three favourite singers ever.

My copy of Heroes should be in the post soon. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Wed May 16, 2012 2:46 am

greystoke wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Me and Willie


Too cool for school, Ken!

Great photo. I also saw Willie in 2008. This would have been the last time I saw him in person. I met Paul English before the concert. No picture, I'm afraid. But Willie would certainly be in my top three favourite singers ever.

My copy of Heroes should be in the post soon. I'm looking forward to hearing it.


Me too.Glasgow Clyde Auditorium.

norrie

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Wed May 16, 2012 3:06 am

norrie wrote:
greystoke wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Me and Willie


Too cool for school, Ken!

Great photo. I also saw Willie in 2008. This would have been the last time I saw him in person. I met Paul English before the concert. No picture, I'm afraid. But Willie would certainly be in my top three favourite singers ever.

My copy of Heroes should be in the post soon. I'm looking forward to hearing it.


Me too.Glasgow Clyde Auditorium.

norrie


Same place. Great Venue.

Re: Willie does Coldplay

Wed May 16, 2012 3:20 am

greystoke wrote:
norrie wrote:
greystoke wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Me and Willie


Too cool for school, Ken!

Great photo. I also saw Willie in 2008. This would have been the last time I saw him in person. I met Paul English before the concert. No picture, I'm afraid. But Willie would certainly be in my top three favourite singers ever.

My copy of Heroes should be in the post soon. I'm looking forward to hearing it.


Me too.Glasgow Clyde Auditorium.

norrie


Same place. Great Venue.


Great acoustics,unlike the SECC which is just a big barn.Saw Willie there as well but it was not close to how good he sounded at the Clyde Auditorium or the Royal Concert Hall where he played 5 sold out nights in a row (2005?)

norrie

norrie