Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Buddy Holly - Maybe baby (alternate slowversion)

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:20 am

Well-A-, Well-A, Well-A I been You tubing and came across this. I don't know where it's from (probably some boot or fan club only release) but i suspect it's playing at a slower speed. What do others think ? -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3Eja93Ufs&feature=fvst

Re: Buddy Holly - Maybe baby (alternate slowversion)

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:52 am

Yes, the alternate slower version version was recorded prior to the well known hit version. This YouTube version sounds like it has overdubs.
The clean alternate version has appeared on a few different CDs. Currently you can find it on this collection:

Not Fade Away: Buddy Holly 1957 : the Complete Recordings

http://www.amazon.com/Not-Fade-Away-Buddy-Complete/dp/tracks/B000X23KA2/ref=dp_tracks_all_3#disc_3

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:33 am

Yes i think it (the overdubbed version) is derived from the bootleg LP "Buddy Holly In Person" which I have got but i do not recall it playing at this speed. Also the sound quality of the YT upload is markedly better.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Funny, coincidentially I listened to "Maybe Baby" in my car today. Nice song.

If you're looking for the best possible sound quality regarding Buddy's work, I'd stick to the Steve Hoffman remastered collection (sorry, I forgot the name).

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:18 am

This alternate version of Maybe Baby (recorded four months before the hit version) was first released as a single on Coral in 1966. It's not a bootleg, it's an official release. It features unnecessary posthumous overdubs by the Fireballs. Also, the person who uploaded it to youtube must have a bad turntable, because that youtube version is playing too slow. The non-overdubbed, Fireballs-free version of this recording first appeared on the Buddy Holly- For the First Time Anywhere album in 1981, I think.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:00 am

Love it!
Thanks for posting this.