Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

'Famous pop singer' Barbara McNair!

Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:34 pm

One of the best Motown records ever;
phpBB [video]

Re: 'Famous pop singer' Barbara McNair!

Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:20 pm

Her "greatest" performance was in the film "If He Hollers Let Him Go!" !

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Jove wrote:Her "greatest" performance was in the film "If He Hollers Let Him Go!" !

Do you mean as an actress or singer? And do you know what year this was?

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Tony.. wrote:
Jove wrote:Her "greatest" performance was in the film "If He Hollers Let Him Go!" !

Do you mean as an actress or singer? And do you know what year this was?

Actress....1968
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063124/

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:19 am

It's just a tongue in cheek statement, but her performance in the abysmal film was the highlight. :mrgreen:

Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks for the song. I looked up the film, and not only is the title kinda . . . odd, but they say it was a "turkey," and not too much else.

She was great in COH, but they made her look so much like, like a nun! (She was, I understand, an attractive young woman at the time.)

And she worked practically up to her rather sudden passing. I was looking her up, and they had updated info on her touring, and then it said she died.

Thanks again for the song! She and Elvis discussed music a lot; they seemed to get along very well. Nice lady.

There are real good pics in the picture section here.

rjm
P.S. -- Yes, that is a new, homemade avatar. You see? It WASN'T a mistake, after all! Rare title. (I think maybe Bob was visiting the Falkland Islands or something. Near the South Pole. Have to check his schedule.)

(Just Kidding!) But anyway, when Bob Dylan was asked, in 1969: "Any particular artists you like to see record your songs?" He said, "Yeah, Elvis Presley. Elvis Presley recorded a song of mine. It's the recording I treasure most." The record was "Tomorrow Was A Long Time." About which said, "I wrote it, but didn't record it." Rolling Stone asked where one might find this treasure. Bob said "I think it was on Kismet."

Seriously, this WAS a song on a film called "Harum Scarum," as we know. But how would Bob know that? I thought he didn't go to those type films? He was appalled by 'em! But he knew the song . . . either paid money for a movie ticket, and hid in the dark, or listened to BOTH "Harum Scarum" and "Spinout" (where it actually was), and only remembered the song title "Kismet." So he either was buying the albums regularly :wink: , or actually going to the films! (The titles of which he got all mixed up, and mixed up with the various forgettable song titles.)

P.P.S. -- PLEASE let that Google image-bot pick this up! Oh, PLEASE! I want Bob to see. Finally. He did hallucinate it, once. :smt005