Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Image



LONDON (AP) — The animated Beatles movie "Yellow Submarine" has been carefully restored frame-by-frame for DVD release this year.

Specialists worked for four months to individually clean each frame of the 1968 surreal tale by hand, the Beatles' holding company Apple Corps Ltd. said Tuesday.

The specialists chose not to use automated software because of the delicate nature of the hand-drawn artwork, the company added.

The colorful movie, a fantasy that features cartoon versions of the Beatles and images from some of their psychedelic songs, is currently out of print. It features some of the band's greatest hits including "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds," ''Eleanor Rigby" and "When I'm Sixty-Four."

"As a fan of animation and as a film-maker, I tip my hat to the artists of 'Yellow Submarine', whose revolutionary work helped pave the way for the fantastically diverse world of animation that we all enjoy today," said Pixar studios chief John Lasseter in the sleeve notes for the re-release.

The DVD will be released on May 28, and the film's soundtrack album will be reissued on CD on the same day.

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:20 pm

And yet, no "Elvis On Tour" Deluxe. What is wrong with this world dammit !

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:36 pm

what about MMT and LIT? I hope they get proper releases this year too...

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:38 am

YS was already restored back in the late 90's. This is one re-release I'll pass on. Let It Be is the one I'm waiting for. I suspect it will be out sometime after 12/21/12, along with EIC.

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:42 pm

What is it with this movie that they keep putting it out then deleting it ?? I bought it in 1988 when it was first released on VHS, then it wasn't out very long.Then in 1999 it was remastered and released on DVD then it vanished after awhile. I didn't get the DVD at first, figured there was no rush, then a couple years later I thought about getting it, couldn't find it anywhere...asked at every video store..they all told me it was out of print. finally a couple years after that i got a copy on ebay...was a DVD bootleg!! wouldn't play in my player! finally got a real copy. Don't think I'll go for a third copy.And wasn't the CD remastered in 2009? why is it being released "remastered" again? or is it part of the DVD package? seems strange. My husband thinks Apple is doing to Beatles fans what Sony is doing to Elvis fans...reselling the same content all over again. "Magical Mystery Tour" and "Let it Be" is SUPPOSE to come out in 2013 remastered. I'm not holding my breath lol.

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:30 pm

sgoodyear62 wrote:What is it with this movie that they keep putting it out then deleting it ?? I bought it in 1988 when it was first released on VHS, then it wasn't out very long.Then in 1999 it was remastered and released on DVD then it vanished after awhile. I didn't get the DVD at first, figured there was no rush, then a couple years later I thought about getting it, couldn't find it anywhere...asked at every video store..they all told me it was out of print. finally a couple years after that i got a copy on ebay...was a DVD bootleg!! wouldn't play in my player! finally got a real copy. Don't think I'll go for a third copy.And wasn't the CD remastered in 2009? why is it being released "remastered" again? or is it part of the DVD package? seems strange. My husband thinks Apple is doing to Beatles fans what Sony is doing to Elvis fans...reselling the same content all over again. "Magical Mystery Tour" and "Let it Be" is SUPPOSE to come out in 2013 remastered. I'm not holding my breath lol.
MMT was remastered back in the 80's, so I could see some merit to working on it again, but LIB is the one everyone is waiting for. So tired, tired of waiting....and I agree, Apple doesn't seem to know or care what the fans really want. Shea Stadium video, LIB, Hollywood Bowl concerts, greatest video hits dvd, etc.

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:41 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
sgoodyear62 wrote:What is it with this movie that they keep putting it out then deleting it ?? I bought it in 1988 when it was first released on VHS, then it wasn't out very long.Then in 1999 it was remastered and released on DVD then it vanished after awhile. I didn't get the DVD at first, figured there was no rush, then a couple years later I thought about getting it, couldn't find it anywhere...asked at every video store..they all told me it was out of print. finally a couple years after that i got a copy on ebay...was a DVD bootleg!! wouldn't play in my player! finally got a real copy. Don't think I'll go for a third copy.And wasn't the CD remastered in 2009? why is it being released "remastered" again? or is it part of the DVD package? seems strange. My husband thinks Apple is doing to Beatles fans what Sony is doing to Elvis fans...reselling the same content all over again. "Magical Mystery Tour" and "Let it Be" is SUPPOSE to come out in 2013 remastered. I'm not holding my breath lol.
MMT was remastered back in the 80's, so I could see some merit to working on it again, but LIB is the one everyone is waiting for. So tired, tired of waiting....and I agree, Apple doesn't seem to know or care what the fans really want. Shea Stadium video, LIB, Hollywood Bowl concerts, greatest video hits dvd, etc.



I recorded LET IT BE off the TV when it was screened in 1980 onto VHS - since then I don't think it's EVER been shown anywhere ever again!!!!! What is wrong with them? I understand McCartney doesn't want it released because it shows them bickering a little bit in the film!!! PIFFLE.

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:25 am

Macca's public persona is always smiling, thumbs up, everything-was-lovey-dovey-in-the-beatles, so yeah, LIB would work against the image he wants out there. Actually, I would think he'd want it out there, as he and the one Beatle still committed to the group during the filming. George is argumentative (and rightly, so, seeing as he was being treated like a glorified sideman), John's mind is obviously elsewhere, and Ringo just looks bored. Macca wants the general public to understand that he was the key creative force in the group, the one that kept them going. This film certainly shows that. If John were here, he would say (as he did at the time), "just put it out, warts and all, let people see we're human".

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:49 am

McCartney has always been such a phony to me. "Magical Mystery Tour" was remastered and put out in the mid '90's My husband has a copy on VHS. Two years ago, we were in a Borders store and there it was on DVD. My husband said "Damn, finally gotta get this".When we played it, it looked like a scratchy bootleg copy.Not remastered at all!! Any Beatles fan or collector that knows their music real good realizes the band didn't get along towards the end anyway, so what is the big deal with McCartney??? I vote for "Let It Be" to be released (along with my husband).And MMT, and he wants Shea Stadium as well. Perhaps a nice DVD of all their Music videos as well. Neither one of us is re-buying any Beatles or Elvis product over and over again. Especially after 4 or 5 years of just buying it. And the "'Yellow Submarine" CD was just remastered with all the other Beatles albums just 3 short years ago! Why another remaster of the CD? I sure would like to ask someone at Apple or EMI or whoever is putting this stuff out! That's one reason why I'm NOT against downloading. These Music companies and groups and estates have bilked us for decades and they continue to do it again and again and again!

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:48 am

well if they are worried about making the beatles look bad then why not simply to a Directors cut or a re-edit with more performance footage and less bickering..if they can do it with TTWII then I can see it with LIB as well..

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:37 am

joshferrell wrote:well if they are worried about making the beatles look bad then why not simply to a Directors cut or a re-edit with more performance footage and less bickering..if they can do it with TTWII then I can see it with LIB as well..

But that would make too much sense :roll: and then of course we'd have the problem of which songs they left out from the original, and replaced with other, inferior performances :shock:

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:56 pm

I find it incredible and unbelievable that you cannot buy thoe only film of The Beatles where they were The Beatles. "Let it be" is, in my opinion the only good film they did. And WHY is there no DVD of their "Greatest hits" / TV performances etc? Same situation with The Rolling Stones - they made some good videos but you can't buy them anywhere!! :x

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:52 pm

Well, to each his own. I love the Beatles movies, but A Hard Days Night has been rereleased more times than I can count. Help got the deluxe treatment a few years ago. In the eyes of Apple, Let it Be is Elvis in Concert.

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:16 am

I like the fact that they didn't "OVERDO" the whole movie thing and each movie was different from the last..so every movie has its own uniquness..even though technically "Yellow Submarine" wasn't REALLY a Beatles movie except for a brief appearance of them and it featured their music,other than that they really didn't have much to do with it..so I always thought of it like the Beatles cartoon series, not really the beatles but features their "likeness" and music..BTW I'm surprised whomever owns the right to the old beatles cartoon haven't released them on dvd yet..

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:27 am

joshferrell wrote:I like the fact that they didn't "OVERDO" the whole movie thing and each movie was different from the last..so every movie has its own uniquness..even though technically "Yellow Submarine" wasn't REALLY a Beatles movie except for a brief appearance of them and it featured their music,other than that they really didn't have much to do with it..so I always thought of it like the Beatles cartoon series, not really the beatles but features their "likeness" and music..BTW I'm surprised whomever owns the right to the old beatles cartoon haven't released them on dvd yet..

The Beatles cartoons that were shown on television were very poor compared to Yellow Sub. The voices didn't sound like them at all, the drawings were good likenesses, though, and of course there was a lot of their music in the shows. I don't believe Apple will ever allow that series to be released on dvd/bluray/implant, but it was shown on MTV in the 80's, after the success they had reviving the Monkees series. There are clips of it all over youtube.

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:35 am

A restore without Blu-ray --what a joke.

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:19 am

I may get this but really the old DVD was great.

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Why DVD? Why not for Blu-Ray? Give me "A Hard Day's Night", "Help", "Magical Mystery Tour" and "Let It Be" also!!!

Would be nice to see a re-release of "The Beatles Anthology" on Blu-Ray also, maybe with some additional footage.

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:36 pm

Blue Meanies on Blu-Ray?

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:21 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:Blue Meanies on Blu-Ray?
:D

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:14 am

I've read that Yellow Submarine is being released on Blu-ray. Whilst, on a side note, a "deluxe" reissue of Ram is being prepared.

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:27 am

greystoke wrote:I've read that Yellow Submarine is being released on Blu-ray. Whilst, on a side note, a "deluxe" reissue of Ram is being prepared.

Will be interesting to see what Macca has in his vaults for Ram. Thrillington?

Re: Beatles "Yellow Submarine" Movie to be Restored for DVD

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:51 pm

As fine as YS is I really have no interested in the BD release. LIB is the movie that I've been waiting for long time. Apparently George Harrison didn't want it to be released and his widow Olivia seems to respect his wishes. So, I don't think we'll be seeing LIB on BD in any near future. Shame though as the are tons of interesting footage shot a the sessions not to mention Beatles's final live performance on the roof of the Apple building. Well, I have dvd of the laser disc release which will have to do for the time being.