Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Re: Should The Monkees be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:41 am

A good case could certainly be made for the Monkees to be inducted.

You just covered the B.S. reasons of Jan Wenner for not inducting artists that he doesn't like and his hypocrisy.

The Monkees were certainly more rock n' roll than most of the acts that they have inducted and you can bet that if Wenner was a fan of them they'd already have been in there.

However for my own personal opinion the Rock n' roll hall of fame has always said that influence is the most important thing when deciding who gets inducted.

So the question should be what well known musicians were influenced by the Monkees.

If the Monkees did influence at least a few well know artists they should be inducted if not i wouldn't.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:52 pm

No.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:39 pm

Should it be the Monkees or their creators in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Granted as the first made for video, created for TV teen idols they definitely deserve a place. But maybe that place should be for the creators of the show.

My main argument against their inclusion is the fact that they were not an organic act. They were placed together at someone else's behest. The majority of their most famous material was chosen for them, not by them. The sound of that material was chosen for them not by them. That's a huge difference between them and Elvis or them and the Beach Boys. Now they were genuinely talented and wound up taking control, but again they largely, save Michael Nesmith, stuck to the sounds that made famous. I mean "Daydream Believer" is of a piece with "I'm a Believer" and the other Kirschner controlled hits.

It's a tough call because their pop culture resonance and influence are so large, but it's hard to genuinely say whether you could have slated four other performers in those slots and gotten similar if not the same results.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:25 pm

I'm not saying it should. They clearly were not the no-talents some critics have assumed them to be. They probably wouldn't have been cast if they were. However, there's kind of a four guys hired to a do a job thing about them.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:19 pm

intheghetto wrote:
brian wrote:
However for my own personal opinion the Rock n' roll hall of fame has always said that influence is the most important thing when deciding who gets inducted.

So the question should be what well known musicians were influenced by the Monkees.

I think the question of influence is true and usually applies to the early characters of rock and roll like Elvis, Roy Orbison etc., but I don't think influence is always the case. Guns and Roses will be inducted this year and I don't see them so much an influential band as they were derivative. Not to take anything away from GnR as a great rock band. They have their place, but I can't really point to how their music was shaping anything in their wake since what they did was clearly influenced by Aerosmith, Thin Lizzy, etc. Going back a little farther there's The Rascals who again were a great band with some great pop hits, but I can't think of a band that came after them that you could say 'oh yeah...so-and-so band was influenced by The Rascals'.

That's true.

The Rock n' roll hall of fame says influence is the main criteria for induction but they are inconsistent on that.

You have once again pointed out how flawed their process is because while they have inducted artists who were very influential they also induct people that weren't.

You have convinced me that the Monkees should have be inducted a few years ago.

They will never get in because Jan Wenner is a biased hypocritical jerk with a grudge against the Monkees when he shouldn't have one.

It's the same reason why Kiss hasn't been inducted.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:54 pm

As far as I'm aware, it was only on albums 1, 2 and 4 that they didn't play their own instruments in the main. On albums 3 onwards they contributed much of their own material

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:44 pm

YES they should be in there! I think the Hall of Fame is a joke really.Too many non-rock artists in there...why?? Madonna was never rock, more dance/disco to my ear, not rock. Pat Benatar is Rock..Lady GaGa is not. but yes, Monkees deserve to be in there!

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:36 am

Maybe the group known as the Monkees should be inducted along with their creators Rafelson and Schneider.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:47 am

The Monkees would be the ones to get inducted rather than their creators because the Rock n' roll hall of fame needs big names to sell tickets.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:49 pm

yes they should be inducted..From Headquarters to monkees presents and justus they were a rock band because they wrote alot of the songs on those albums and produced alot the songs...sure they didn't play the songs together with all 4 of them but you will find at least two members per song either playing or singing on most of the songs...

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:10 am

In the Ghetto- I think you're a little dismissive of the Rascals. They were hugely important in making blue eyed soul a commercial force in the mid-1960s. They were also important in keeping alive the black influence in white rock n' roll music as a lot of that music was shaking it off. They also had a handful of tracks that became garage band standards especially "Good Lovin'" and "Groovin" the latter also became a huge soul standard. And even their versions of "Mustang Sally" and "In the Midnight Hour" were as important to making those songs bar band classics as the original Wilson Pickett hits were. As great as they are, and as popular as they are today, they were solid but not massive hits in Pickett's originals. According to some sources, Pickett learned "Mustang Sally" from the Rascals, although Pickett's reference of a 1965 instead of a 1966 Mustang kind of puts that in doubt. But some authors say it. Finally, Max Weinberg of the E-Street band, a very important later ensemble, has cited the influence of Rascals' drummer Dino Dinelli on his play. So I don't think it's fair to say they had no influence. For me personally, I find them to be a much more exciting and soulful outfit than the Monkees. But that's me.

This brings into focus why the Rock n' Roll HOF is not a great idea. Influence only gets you so far. As one writer said it's like putting the guy who invented batting gloves into the baseball hall of fame before Mickey Mantle. On the other hand, artistic greatness is extremely difficult to quantify. Hell, as this thread proves so is the essence of what makes a particular genre of music. As Sgood pointed out, a lot of the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame might not even be rock n' roll.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:50 am

likethebike wrote:In the Ghetto- I think you're a little dismissive of the Rascals. They were hugely important in making blue eyed soul a commercial force in the mid-1960s. They were also important in keeping alive the black influence in white rock n' roll music as a lot of that music was shaking it off. They also had a handful of tracks that became garage band standards especially "Good Lovin'" and "Groovin" the latter also became a huge soul standard. And even their versions of "Mustang Sally" and "In the Midnight Hour" were as important to making those songs bar band classics as the original Wilson Pickett hits were. As great as they are, and as popular as they are today, they were solid but not massive hits in Pickett's originals. According to some sources, Pickett learned "Mustang Sally" from the Rascals, although Pickett's reference of a 1965 instead of a 1966 Mustang kind of puts that in doubt. But some authors say it. Finally, Max Weinberg of the E-Street band, a very important later ensemble, has cited the influence of Rascals' drummer Dino Dinelli on his play. So I don't think it's fair to say they had no influence. For me personally, I find them to be a much more exciting and soulful outfit than the Monkees. But that's me.

This brings into focus why the Rock n' Roll HOF is not a great idea. Influence only gets you so far. As one writer said it's like putting the guy who invented batting gloves into the baseball hall of fame before Mickey Mantle. On the other hand, artistic greatness is extremely difficult to quantify. Hell, as this thread proves so is the essence of what makes a particular genre of music. As Sgood pointed out, a lot of the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame might not even be rock n' roll.

The Rascals ARE deservedly in the HOF. I've had the great pleasure of seeing Felix Caveliere in concert twice in the last couple years, the man still sings just like he did back in the day and can still make that organ sing!

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:38 pm

intheghetto wrote:
likethebike wrote:In the Ghetto- I think you're a little dismissive of the Rascals. They were hugely important in making blue eyed soul a commercial force in the mid-1960s. They were also important in keeping alive the black influence in white rock n' roll music as a lot of that music was shaking it off. They also had a handful of tracks that became garage band standards especially "Good Lovin'" and "Groovin" the latter also became a huge soul standard. And even their versions of "Mustang Sally" and "In the Midnight Hour" were as important to making those songs bar band classics as the original Wilson Pickett hits were. As great as they are, and as popular as they are today, they were solid but not massive hits in Pickett's originals. According to some sources, Pickett learned "Mustang Sally" from the Rascals, although Pickett's reference of a 1965 instead of a 1966 Mustang kind of puts that in doubt. But some authors say it. Finally, Max Weinberg of the E-Street band, a very important later ensemble, has cited the influence of Rascals' drummer Dino Dinelli on his play. So I don't think it's fair to say they had no influence. For me personally, I find them to be a much more exciting and soulful outfit than the Monkees. But that's me.

My comment regarding The Rascals had nothing to do with their greatness. I fully understand their place on the rock n roll timeline, and I'm not dismissing them as pop crap at all. In terms of influence I'm sure there are more Max Weinbergs and other rock musicians out there that could point to The Rascals as being instrumental in their perspective. Comparatively speaking though they are not as influential as the Elvies and Little Richards of the world. The RRHOF likes to pride itself on this prerequisite but not all of their inductees
have the same the same level of influence. The Rascals were a great band, but I think their status in the 'hall' is based more on their reputation for making great pop music in the 60s than it is for being influential.

If Little Richard and Elvis are the standard for induction into the HOF, then there are lot of acts that SHOULD NOT be in there. It's kind of like the Willie Mays argument people use for the Baseball HOF. They have this misconception that Willie Mays or Ted Williams are the standard by which all potential HOF candidates should be judged; only problem is, there are many players ALREADY IN the HOF that don't meet that standard. The Rascals are every bit as deserving as many acts that are in the Rock Hall.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:07 pm

It really doesn't matter -- the RARHOF has become nothing but an industry gang-bang. There are as many deserving artists not inducted as undeserving acts who are.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:34 am

intheghetto wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It really doesn't matter -- the RARHOF has become nothing but an industry gang-bang. There are as many deserving artists not inducted as undeserving acts who are.

Agreed. But unfortunately it is now regarded as the highest honor any rock (or in alot of cases NON-rock) band or artist can receive.

I'd think a greater honor would be recieving an invitation for a party at Doc's house.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:38 am

I wish they had been inducted while all 4 were alive - would've been fun to see them onstage together again. Still, it will be pretty cool if they do get inducted, and we get to see Micky, Michael and Peter play Steppin' Stone and Circle Sky together. And then let's start a drive to get Nesmith and the First National Band inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:33 am

Here's Woolhat's own take on the subject.

“Should The Monkees be included in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?”, you ask.

I’ll try to keep this short -- may not work.

When The Beatles were recording Sgt. Peppers, Phyllis and I spent a few days with John and Cynthia at their home, and one in the studio with “the boys” .That’s where those pictures of John and I come from – the “Day in the Life” session.

The minute I had the wherewithal –cachet and money – I raced to London and looked up John.

During the ‘60s it seemed to me London was the center of the World and The Beatles were the center of London and the Sgt Pepper session was the center of The Beatles.
It was an extraordinary time, I thought, and I wanted to get as close as I could to the heart of it.

But like a hurricane the center was not stormy or tumultuous. It was exciting, but it was calm, and to an extent peaceful. The confidence of the art permeated the atmosphere. Serene – and really, really fun.

Then I discovered the reason for this.

During that time in one of our longer, more reflective, talks I realized that John was not aware of who The Beatles were. Of course he could not be. He was clueless in this regard. He had never seen or experienced them. In the strange paradox of fame, none of The Beatles ever saw The Beatles the way we did. Certainly not the way I did. I loved them beyond my ability to express it.

As the years passed and I met more and more exceptional people sitting in the center of their own hurricane I saw they all shared this same sensibility. None of them could actually know the force of their own work.

With no intention of comparison of work, I am in something of the same position with The Monkees. It was one of my private hurricanes – long gone and calm now, leaving me with great memories and artifacts – but with a critical element hidden to me in a most profound way.

Indeed. I don’t even know what the element is.

Weird, I know. But there you have it.

With this latest group of inductees into the RARHOF, once again I see this campaign to induct The Monkees. I hear a lot of anger and sense a feeling of injustice among the Monkees’s (Monkeeses?) fans about The Monkees being “overlooked” or worse, somehow snubbed.

This all may be true. In this I am afraid I am the last person qualified to judge – or even opine.

I can see the HOF is a private enterprise. It seems to operate as a business, and the inductees are there by some action of the owners of the Enterprise. The inductees appear to be chosen at the owner’s pleasure.

This seems proper to me.

It is their business in any case. It does not seem to me that the HOF carries a public mandate, nor should it be compelled to conform to one.

And that may be the rub.

The main argument afoot is that popularity and the history and the work should somehow provide the HOF not only a mandate but also validation that should compel and convince them/it, and also be enforceable.

That doesn’t seem like a good argument, but as I say – I don’t know. I rode out the hurricane in the mobile home that is all that is left standing while all about it are vacant concrete pads and stubbs of power lines.

It would be nice if the Monkees were inducted – but frankly a bit odd. I would try to go to the show if I was invited, but I might not.

I am not for it or against it. I find myself somewhere between Axl Rose and Woody Allen – but very likely not for the same reasons. I imagine there are three very different drummers here.

The whole Monkees/ HOF question could use some good critical thought. But I have no inclination to do it. (Go over to The New Inquiry if you want to see how critical thinking is done. It’s hard.)

I have moved out and on from the pristine, intact mobile home left after the hurricane, to my own endeavors. I have met with great good fortune in the meantime and am happily free from these quandaries.

I have my Little Shop of Wonders –Videoranch http://www.videoranch.com -- and I have happy horizons in every direction of thought.

Rays, everywhere, Rays. http://www.videoranch3d.com/mm5/merc...y_Code=1000-IT

Except this one.

So please, dear friends, don’t ask me about The Monkees and HOF.

I don’t have a clue.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:57 am

intheghetto wrote:
Jove wrote:Here's Woolhat's own take on the subject.

“Should The Monkees be included in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?”, you ask.

I’ll try to keep this short -- may not work.

When The Beatles were recording Sgt. Peppers, Phyllis and I spent a few days with John and Cynthia at their home, and one in the studio with “the boys” .That’s where those pictures of John and I come from – the “Day in the Life” session.

The minute I had the wherewithal –cachet and money – I raced to London and looked up John.

During the ‘60s it seemed to me London was the center of the World and The Beatles were the center of London and the Sgt Pepper session was the center of The Beatles.
It was an extraordinary time, I thought, and I wanted to get as close as I could to the heart of it.

But like a hurricane the center was not stormy or tumultuous. It was exciting, but it was calm, and to an extent peaceful. The confidence of the art permeated the atmosphere. Serene – and really, really fun.

Then I discovered the reason for this.

During that time in one of our longer, more reflective, talks I realized that John was not aware of who The Beatles were. Of course he could not be. He was clueless in this regard. He had never seen or experienced them. In the strange paradox of fame, none of The Beatles ever saw The Beatles the way we did. Certainly not the way I did. I loved them beyond my ability to express it.

As the years passed and I met more and more exceptional people sitting in the center of their own hurricane I saw they all shared this same sensibility. None of them could actually know the force of their own work.

With no intention of comparison of work, I am in something of the same position with The Monkees. It was one of my private hurricanes – long gone and calm now, leaving me with great memories and artifacts – but with a critical element hidden to me in a most profound way.

Indeed. I don’t even know what the element is.

Weird, I know. But there you have it.

With this latest group of inductees into the RARHOF, once again I see this campaign to induct The Monkees. I hear a lot of anger and sense a feeling of injustice among the Monkees’s (Monkeeses?) fans about The Monkees being “overlooked” or worse, somehow snubbed.

This all may be true. In this I am afraid I am the last person qualified to judge – or even opine.

I can see the HOF is a private enterprise. It seems to operate as a business, and the inductees are there by some action of the owners of the Enterprise. The inductees appear to be chosen at the owner’s pleasure.

This seems proper to me.

It is their business in any case. It does not seem to me that the HOF carries a public mandate, nor should it be compelled to conform to one.

And that may be the rub.

The main argument afoot is that popularity and the history and the work should somehow provide the HOF not only a mandate but also validation that should compel and convince them/it, and also be enforceable.

That doesn’t seem like a good argument, but as I say – I don’t know. I rode out the hurricane in the mobile home that is all that is left standing while all about it are vacant concrete pads and stubbs of power lines.

It would be nice if the Monkees were inducted – but frankly a bit odd. I would try to go to the show if I was invited, but I might not.

I am not for it or against it. I find myself somewhere between Axl Rose and Woody Allen – but very likely not for the same reasons. I imagine there are three very different drummers here.

The whole Monkees/ HOF question could use some good critical thought. But I have no inclination to do it. (Go over to The New Inquiry if you want to see how critical thinking is done. It’s hard.)

I have moved out and on from the pristine, intact mobile home left after the hurricane, to my own endeavors. I have met with great good fortune in the meantime and am happily free from these quandaries.

I have my Little Shop of Wonders –Videoranch http://www.videoranch.com -- and I have happy horizons in every direction of thought.

Rays, everywhere, Rays. http://www.videoranch3d.com/mm5/merc...y_Code=1000-IT

Except this one.

So please, dear friends, don’t ask me about The Monkees and HOF.

I don’t have a clue.

Nez always has his own creative way of articulation. I see where he's coming from, but until The Monkees are inducted we'll see how stand-offish or not he really is. I admire him for moving on, but sometimes he pretends too much that The Monkees weren't as big a deal to him as we think they were/are. From that perspective I think it's interesting that he made the comparison to John Lennon and The Beatles not 'knowing who they were themselves' and not recognizing the 'force of their own work'. From where I sit, how could anybody in or associated with The Monkees not know. After all, they were the biggest band of the 1960s that 'wasn't a real band'...at least in the beginning. Not really a qualification for something that ended up being a phenomenon decades after its short run in public.

Meanwhile, on the Video Ranch website I see that they have Michael Nesmith & the First National Band t-shirts! Wow, that's cool. I never even knew such a thing (the t-shirts) existed!

I've gotta get those shirts! Love all three of those First National Band albums.