Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Bruce Springsteen, Wrecking Ball

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Having listened three times to Springsteen's latest album, Wrecking Ball, I'm of the firm opinion that this is not only his finest album since 2002's The Rising, but perhaps his best since Nebraska . . . It really is most excellent, and feels, in some ways, like a progression from Magic and Working on a Dream but with shades of The Seeger Sessions and touches of blue-eyed soul. A complete work of artistic expression, bringing to/and from the recording studio a wealth of broad influences knitted with an occassionally blazing intensity that's tempered into a passionate verve -- and bold as brass is Springsteen in his social commentary and anthemic joi de vivre. In the same respect, however, he's never brash or arrogant, but sings from the heart and means every word in standout tracks such as We Take Good Care of Our Own and Shackled and Drawn. There's even hints of cajun/swamp rock in the latter -- and in Springsteen, one can easily appreciate that this is an artist who blends into his own musical cocktail flavours of everything around him and all that he pursues, but always plays as being authentic to his own sound and own convictions. I've never heard a Springsteen album that sounds contrived or inauthentic -- this is no exception. And even when he riffs on Cash by lifting the melody from Ring of Fire and playing unashamedly alongside this on We Are Alive, we know that such is not simply done with affection for said melody - or Cash - but to hang familiar themes on a familiar theme in which blunt allegory and descriptive imagery punctuate one of the most literate albums of its kind in recent memory.

Re: Bruce Springsteen, Wrecking Ball

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:24 pm

An AMAZING album! Can't stop listening to it.

Indeed 'We Are Alive' would have easily fitted the Seeger phase. One of my favorites, and the track that got me from the start.
But on the other hand, all songs are excellent!

Re: Bruce Springsteen, Wrecking Ball

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:20 am

Iv'e listened to it twice today and can only echo greystokes opinion that it's represents some of his best work ever.The songs are great both musically and lyrically and Bruce is pissed off at the way of the world at the moment and it shows in his words and his voice.If you are a fat cat or a banker I'd stay well away from him if i were you! The production is also better than on the last two albums which I enjoyed (esp Magic) but were a bit too loud and busy,there is still plenty going on here but it's not overpowering the senses and the melodies shine through.Shackled and Drawn,Death To My Hometown and We Are Alive are my initial standouts.Death to My Hometown in particular paints an all too familiar portrait of life today in working towns where it's not bombs or bullets or fire that has wrecked them but politicians,bankers and asset strippers.Great album with no filler.Of course it's far too early to be called a classic but my feeling is it's will be regarded as one of Bruces best in years to come.

norrie