Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Robbie Williams: Me and My Monkey

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:33 am

Not been contributing recently due to a period of poor health, but keeping an eye on what's going on. The thread on Hotel California reminded me of what i have always taken to be a tribute/pastiche of the song by Robbie Williams. Me and My Monkey was included on his best album, Escapology from 2002. While Reality Killed the Video Star from a year or two back was something of a return to form, it lacked the inspiration of Escapology and the classy production values. Looking at this concert version from Knebworth, one can assume that even Williams himself was fond of Me and My Monkey. It gets a surprisingly committed performance from an entertainer who all often throws away his material.

phpBB [video]

Re: Robbie Williams: Me and My Monkey

Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:27 am

Escapology was a terrific album, and the epic Me and My Monkey was a highlight. It's a terrific song and Williams clearly relished in his own material, allowing this near eight minute track all the time it required to tell a superbly esoteric story that he acts out quite wonderfully. In many ways, it's Robbie at his best, whilst the live performance of Me and My Monkey at Knebworth was a joy -- and the concerts, themselves, were absolutely sensational. I eagerly anticipate his next project, and very much liked, not only Reality Killed the Video Star (especially the stunning Bodies and very underrated You Know Me), but his contributions to Take That's excellent Progress, and his involvement in their highly ambitious stadium shows that followed.

Nice to see you posting again. Your input was missed. And I hope your health improves and that it's nothing serious.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:09 am

You Know Me is a wonderful song indeed.

Thanks for the kind words, it will be a while before things get better I'm afraid, but am sure this place will distract me in the meantime! :)

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:40 am

poormadpeter wrote:You Know Me is a wonderful song indeed.

Thanks for the kind words, it will be a while before things get better I'm afraid, but am sure this place will distract me in the meantime! :)

Get Well soon Peter

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:08 am

Thanks, Ken.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:59 am

poormadpeter wrote:Not been contributing recently due to a period of poor health....

Get well soon.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:00 am

greystoke wrote:...and very underrated You Know Me), ....

I agree this a great track but it is let down by a very poor video.