Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Do You Like The Band's version?

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:23 am

Hello music lovers,

Which do you prefer, The Band's version of "Tears of Rage," or the Basement Tapes version on the 1975 official release? (Please don't say "neither, I like the other bootlegged versions"; not helpful.)

Does it have that emotional desperation? I just never totally conttoned to The Band, without their true frontman. I guess it's my loss, but I can't help it. What do you think, particularly about this song of songs?

Thanks,
rjm
Last edited by rjm on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Do You Like The Band's version?

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:54 am

"Tears of Rage"

(1) Version #2, Genuine Basement Tapes, 1967
(2) Music From Big Pink, 1968

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Tears of Rage"

(1) Version #2, Genuine Basement Tapes, 1967
(2) Music From Big Pink, 1968

So, you like a bootlegged version. {sigh} Well, ok. The more recent one done by the late Richard Manuel is kind of nice. But nothing compares to the Basement version (s). I got a bootleg of some of that stuff way, way back, but it's not very well put together at all (one of those bootlegs of bootlegs, and then sort of randomly thrown together) -- something I got in Atlanta, in the "import" rack in a strip mall opposite the Chinese resturant we went to. And that's all I ever found. I saw the WiKi entry on the whole set. Gonna hunt it down. Must be some cut! Marcus says the beginning of the "official" version is not as good, but it gets so good as it goes on, that he really loves it. I love the one on the official release. Just LOVE it. It just tears me apart. That compassionate, literally embracing ending . . . I could go on.

rjm

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:25 pm

OK. Ridiculous, now. WHERE IN BLAZES DO I FIND THIS FIVE-CD SET????? A hint, a sign, skywriting, something . . . {double-sigh}

rjm
P.S. -- I have seen "free MP3" sites, but that looks really icky. I am willing to pay for the music. At least to whomever went to the trouble of putting it together.
UPDATE: heard some samples on YouTube, not that song, of course (of course!), but I'M DYIN' HERE!!! The sound quality is incredible!! Oh, wow! If I could get this, I could probably give up chocolate for life! (Well, maybe.)
Last edited by rjm on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:28 pm

The originally recorded performance is best. It's in true stereo. The same song on The Basement Tapes (Columbia, 1975) has been collapsed into mono.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:30 pm

rjm wrote:OK. Ridiculous, now. WHERE IN BLAZES DO I FIND THIS FIVE-CD SET????? A hint, a sign, skywriting, something . . . {double-sigh}

I sent you a PM a year ago about this.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:OK. Ridiculous, now. WHERE IN BLAZES DO I FIND THIS FIVE-CD SET????? A hint, a sign, skywriting, something . . . {double-sigh}

I gotta go look. I never quite figured it out, or something. I read the WiKi on it. I wish it were just on Amazon, and you could buy it! i'll go back and look. Thanks.

rjm

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:16 pm

The Band's version is probably best.

The Band didn't ol' Bobby for greatness although they did terrific work together. Levon was a great singer and Richard and Rick were pretty damn good as well. When they got those harmonies going boy...look out.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:26 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I've been searching for about a half hour now. Found some amazing stuff, but not what I'm looking for, exactly.

But I remember reading the WiKi entry on the set. I just can't find where you referenced it in a PM, except that you said it was, indeed, "in one handy place." I gotta go to bed; it's really late and I have a busy day tomorrow. Many thanks. I'll find it!!.

rjm
P.S. (You had warned me about "another forum" a ways back, but it just flew right past me. I wish I would have clicked the links then. Would have saved me a lot of grief. I had no idea. Now I feel even more like an idiot because you had told me. But I'm off-topic, and that's water under the bridge. I never clicked the links, so it never made an impression . . . and then I was worried, and i wandered into the wrong place, and oh, forget it . . . )

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:30 pm

likethebike wrote:The Band's version is probably best.

The Band didn't ol' Bobby for greatness although they did terrific work together. Levon was a great singer and Richard and Rick were pretty damn good as well. When they got those harmonies going boy...look out.

I'm biased. It's one of those things. After Elvis, there are only two for me (in the sense that I'm a nutty fan), and he's one of 'em. Thank God he's alive! (Of the three, he's the only one.)

rjm

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:50 am

I like The Band a lot, but their version of Tears never did it for me. The version on the official Basement Tapes is much better to my ears, the alternate take on the bootleg is nice, too. Would be nice if Sony's Dylan Bootleg Series one day gets around to the wealth of material from those sessions.