Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

GRACELAND and Amazing Brook Benton/Stax Footage

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:31 am

“Le Blues de Memphis” is an incredibly cool 11-minute video tour of two iconic music studios. Made for French television forty-some years ago, it starts off at a Brook Benton session in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, and then (after a quick stop at Elvis Presley’s Graceland) takes us behind the scenes at Stax Records—where Booker T. and the MGs are recording “Time Is Tight” and a slicker-than-silk, saxophone-playing Isaac Hayes is putting the studio’s horn section through its paces.

phpBB [video]

Last edited by HoneyTalkNelson on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Amazing Brook Benton and Stax Footage

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:53 am

That was a wonderful experience, HTN. Thank you!

Do they give you any idea of the general date?

Again, thanks so much.

rjm

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:30 am

You're most welcome. I'm guessing 1969 when "Time is Tight" was recorded.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:40 am

That was great. Thank you

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:43 am

It is fantastic footage. I'm surprised more people haven't commented. I suspect I had to say Graceland in the subject heading!

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:08 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:It is fantastic footage. I'm surprised more people haven't commented. I suspect I had to say Graceland in the subject heading!

Ever see "Spaceballs" -- the Mel Brooks space-spoof? "Marketing! Marketing! Marketing!" The topic titles, I mean. :lol:

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: GRACELAND and Amazing Brook Benton/Stax Footage

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Brilliant.

Thanks for posting this clip up.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:25 am

Great clip, wish it was longer. Does anyone know the title of the song at the end of the clip? Even better
where can I find a CD of the song?

Thanks

Blue Boy

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:09 am

Wonderful, thank you!

The word around the web suggests February 1969.

If so, maybe Elvis himself was at American laying down those fabulous soul-drenched tracks ...

Now that would have been the documentary to end all documentaries.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:33 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:“Le Blues de Memphis” is an incredibly cool 11-minute video tour of two iconic music studios. Made for French television forty-some years ago, it starts off at a Brook Benton session in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, and then (after a quick stop at Elvis Presley’s Graceland) takes us behind the scenes at Stax Records—where Booker T. and the MGs are recording “Time Is Tight” and a slicker-than-silk, saxophone-playing Isaac Hayes is putting the studio’s horn section through its paces.

phpBB [video]

This is a fantastic piece of history. Thank you for posting it!

I did some research on when it was made and when it aired. It seems this footage is from a French TV show called "A L'affiche Du Monde" and was broadcast in late March-early April 1969.

Booker T and the MGs stunning "Time Is Tight" was part of the soundtrack for the film "Up Tight!" which was released in December 1968 and scored by Jones, so the footage likely predates the release of this drama, directed by Jules Dassin.

Up Tight!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_Tight!

681223_New York p56_Crist.JPG

New York, December 23, 1968

681223_New York p57_Crist.JPG

New York, December 23, 1968

Also, Brook Benton is seen at Fame Studios singing "She Knows What To Do For Me" which, along wiith the A-side, "Touch 'em With Love," became his first single of the New Year, Cotillion 44031, in April 1969. It apparently did not chart.

690412_Cotillion 44031_Benton.JPG

Brook Benton, "She Knows What To Do For Me" (Cotillion 44031, April 1969)

Billboard Apr 12 1969 p72.JPG

Billboard - April 12, 1969
Cotillion 44031 is a "Top 60 Pop Spotlight"

The release of Benton's single dovetails nicely with the airing of the documentary. Again, it was likely shot circa November 1968.

Note: Elvis was in Los Angeles working on MGM's "The Trouble With Girls (And How To Get Into It)" at this time.

It was also neat to see Memphis native Bettye Crutcher interviewed at Stax. Her songwriting credits include the likes of Booker T and the MGs, Staple Singers, William Bell, Carla Thomas, Judy Clay, Johnnie Taylor, the Emotions and many more.

Bettye Crutcher - Al Bell Presents
http://www.albellpresents.com/features/stax-artist/bettye-crutcher/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:13 am

Outstanding research. Thank you Doctor!

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:47 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Outstanding research. Thank you Doctor!

Thanks. I'm still not 100% sure of the November 1968 date, it just seems most likely.

On what I believe is a first-pressing of "Time Is Tight," the label claims a "Feb 1969" recording date.

690300_Stax 0028_Booker T.JPG

Booker T. & the M. G. 's, "Time Is Tight" (Stax 0028, March 1969)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:43 pm

Thank you for the song title, checked out Amazon's Benton CD but it seems that this track or the original
album haven't got a release on CD. Would love to have the album on CD, but i guess I'll have to hope and wait.