Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Anni-Frid Lyngstad [ABBA] - I See Red

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:14 am

A really cool hypnotic track with a delightful punky attitude and edge to it.
From Frida's well received first post-ABBA solo album Something's Going On from 1982 - produced by Phil Collins.
She looks great in the video too - far healthier [and sexier :smt007 ] than her jaded looks in the latter days of ABBA. Enjoy!

phpBB [video]

Re: Anni-Frid Lyngstad [ABBA] - I See Red

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:02 am

strange hairstyle and too much make up, abba (or frida) is definitely synonym of kitsch

Re: Anni-Frid Lyngstad [ABBA] - I See Red

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:55 pm

She looks pretty damn hot to me, but hey, each to their own....
Equally the "kitsch" card has been tediously overplayed and overstated regarding ABBA.
Thankfully most can see past that belittling BS by now.

Re: Anni-Frid Lyngstad [ABBA] - I See Red

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:57 am

I never cared for Frida's 80's music or look. But Agnetha was always my girl, anyway (in my dreams).

Re: Anni-Frid Lyngstad [ABBA] - I See Red

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:51 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:I never cared for Frida's 80's music or look. But Agnetha was always my girl, anyway (in my dreams).

We're singing from the same hymn sheet regarding Agnetha, LS! :smt007
I just feel Frida gets a bad rap at times.
The song I posted above, was one I recently rediscovered from the quite rare and essential FRIDA: 4xCD/DVD box-set. [see below].
It's a track [for me anyway] that provides a welcome diversion from the archtetypal ABBA song, that would have been the easy path to follow, in the immediate aftermath of ABBA [who were still regarded as an entity back in 1982, when the SGO album was issued].
It's also interesting to note that SGO remains the best selling solo album from any of the ex members of ABBA - Selling some 1.5 million copies worldwide, with the single I Know There's Something Going On going on to sell a very impressive 3.5 milllion copies! And although it's not my favourite english "solo" ABBA album [that would be either Agnetha's WYAAM or MCB] it's still a very respectable debut, one of which the Rolling Stone album guide acutely described as a "sharp, rock-oriented, delightfully eclectic album."

Image Image

Re: Anni-Frid Lyngstad [ABBA] - I See Red

Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:20 am

Hi,
I stumbled onto this thread while researching where I can get the Frida The DVD. I am a musician/producer and a huge fan of this song. I actually had no idea who it was, though the "big drums" should have been a clue. I was looking into the background and found out it's written by Russ Ballard (no surprise, he is a good songwriter). Then I discovered there is a one hour behind the scenes film on the making of the song - I want it desperately. But I'm not finding it available anywhere. It's essentially out of print. Is there anyone who has a lead on how I might view it?

Much appreciated,

John

Re: Anni-Frid Lyngstad [ABBA] - I See Red

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:06 am

toysun wrote:Hi,
I stumbled onto this thread while researching where I can get the Frida The DVD. I am a musician/producer and a huge fan of this song. I actually had no idea who it was, though the "big drums" should have been a clue. I was looking into the background and found out it's written by Russ Ballard (no surprise, he is a good songwriter). Then I discovered there is a one hour behind the scenes film on the making of the song - I want it desperately. But I'm not finding it available anywhere. It's essentially out of print. Is there anyone who has a lead on how I might view it?

Much appreciated,

John

John,

I think you have got songs mixed up.

Ballard wrote Frida's sizeable worldwide hit I Know There's Something Going On not I See Red.

Sent you pm with some further info.

Re: Anni-Frid Lyngstad [ABBA] - I See Red

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:43 am

Ballard also wrote "Can't Shake Loose" for Agnetha. I wonder if she saw Frida's success with his song and thought it was a good idea to copy?

Re: Anni-Frid Lyngstad [ABBA] - I See Red

Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:Ballard also wrote "Can't Shake Loose" for Agnetha. I wonder if she saw Frida's success with his song and thought it was a good idea to copy?

Good catch, LS.
Quite a respectable hit it was too, cracking the U.S. Top 30.
I've always thought Can't Shake Loose had a passing resemblance to Olivia Newton-John's material of the same era.
Do you hear it?

Ballard also contributed the beautiful I Wish Tonight Could Last Forever for WYAAM.

phpBB [video]



phpBB [video]