Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Bobby Darin - Dream Lover

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:26 pm

Is there a more perfect record? Love, love, love it! Oh how I wish I was a child of the 50s, must have been an amazing time to grow up.

phpBB [video]

Re: Bobby Darin - Dream Lover

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:01 am

It's one of Darin's finest hours, and yet is curiously absent in most live performances during the final decade of his life.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:02 am

I love this song. I became a Darin fan with "Dream Lover".

Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:37 pm

Pop records don't come much better than this -- it's terrific!

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:15 am

This is one of those where if he'd not made another record, we'd still love him for this type things. Sadly, I think its greatness as a rock n' roll record actually hurt Darin's reputation. When Bobby revealed here that he could be a rocker, albeit a mid-tempo one, of considerable grace, it made rock fans feel betrayed when he pursued the traditional pop sounds he loved. (His initial rockers "Splish Splash" and "Queen of the Hop" were solid but unspectacular.) For three decades, the meme was Bobby Darin wasted his talent because he jumped from genre to genre but mostly because he took his rock n' roll applicable talents and used it on traditional pop at a time when rock n' roll ruled with an iron fist. It's a story an Elvis fan can surely appreciate.

If he had come up a straight pop performer than the traditional pop audience would have told his story and recognized his talents far sooner. Of course, Darin's cockiness even irritated them.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:09 pm

Nice post likethebike.

I was walking out of London Bridge Station a couple of days ago, on my way to work, and one of the newspaper sellers at his stall had a radio playing, and this very song was blaring out! Brightened up my dark, wet, January morning let me tell you!