Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

The Concert Sinatra reissue

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:53 am

For those of you keeping up with the slow but sure release of remastered Sinatra albums, the next one up is The Concert Sinatra, which will contain two extra tracks: America and California from the single recorded at the same sessions.

Re: The Concert Sinatra reissue

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:13 pm

This promises to be a marvellous re-issue, as this superlative album remains not only a landmark of artistic creativity, breadth and freedom in the recording studio, but one of the finest albums Sinatra ever recorded. Vocally, he was on exceptional form, with the selection of songs superb and Nelson Riddle's orchestration completely marvellous. The sound of the album, itself, has always been quite incredible, with Sinatra backed by a 56 piece orchestra on the Samuel Goldywn soundstage and the original recordings being made on 35mm film tape -- a remaster of the sound will, hopefully, embelish this to the hilt.

Of the ten songs recorded for the album, only eight were included on the original release -- and although this may not seem like many tracks, each recording is a masterwork, with the songs, themselves, being of the highest standard. Opening with Rodgers and Hammerstein's I Have Dreamed, the mood is firmly set, with the most lush strings and broadly spacious sound that Sinatra laps up with a vocal so delicious that one cannot help become wholly immersed.

Rogers and Hart's My Heart Stood Still follows, and the standard remains exceptionally high over a fine arrangement that Sinatra returned to on the concert stage for years to come. His phrasing and breath control are wonderous here. Maxwell Anderson and Kurt Weill's Lost in the Stars is next, and finds Riddle offering the most dreamlike of arrangements, which is met with Sinatra's gentle, knowing and very affective vocal that finds further resonance in how understated his delivery is.

Sinatra had been singing Ol' Man River since the 1940s, having recorded the song several times, not least of all for the extravagant climax to the 1946 Jerome Kern biopic, Till the Clouds Roll By. Choosing the best of Sinatra's studio recordings of Ol' Man River is no easy task, but, needless to say, the version recorded for The Concert Sinatra offers his most mature singing of this song. Sinatra's timbre was, naturally, lower as he approached his 50s, and his maturity perhaps added a resonance to the song that couldn't be found by a 30 year-old -- despite having altered the objectionable lyrics when he first turned to the song back in the 1940s. His recording of Ol' Man River for The Concert Sinatra is nothing short of incredible, Riddle's arrangement proving vast and soaring as Sinatra's extraordinary delivery runs the gamut of tender to triumphant, his vocal power beyond reproach and breath-control beyond belief.

Turning again to Rogers and Hammerstein, with You'll Never Walk Alone, this was another song Sinatra had previously recorded -- both in the 1940s and in the 1950s, when cast in Carousel. Those were recordings any artist would find it difficult to better, as his are among the finest interpretations of this wonderful song. For the Concert Sinatra, again, Riddle's stellar arrangement must be applauded, whilst Sinatra continued to find new depths and gravitas in the lyrics; his phrasing and diction never short of brilliant with his delivery measured to perfection.

Rogers and Hart's Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered is another song familiar to Sinatra, having featued in Pal Joey . . . The lyrics are lovely, and Sinatra takes to the song the utmost of sincerity and careful reading of each and every line, with Riddle's arrangement as tender as Frank's vocal. Rogers and Hammerstein's This Nearly Was Mine maintains the high standards with a song that could easily find itself wrapped in a blanket of overt sentimentality, but is approached with a sense of knowing and mature wistfulness.

Soliloquy is the final song on the album, and again had been recorded by Sinatra previously, his version for the 1956 film version of Carousel being particularly excellent -- and another hard act to follow, although Sinatra ultimately pulled out of the picture. Here, the song is allowed over eight minutes to come to completion, and every second is tremendous -- Riddle, again, excelling with his arrangement and Sinatra relishing the lyrics, and doing so with complete and utter aplomb. This is not only great music-making, it's fabulous story-telling and brings to a close an album rich and rewarding, deep and meaninful and brilliant from the opening bars to the closing notes. It doesn't get much better . . .

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:58 am

It is, without doubt, a phenomenal record. It's particular strange to think that You'll Never Walk Alone is probably the weakest track on the album, and yet still very few artists in the world would struggle to ever record anything of that greatness. Old Man River is, indeed, remarkable - perhaps only ever beaten by the rendition for the 1967 TV special with Ella and Jobim, which I think just clinches it when comparing Sinatra's performances of that song. Soliloquy and I have Dreamed are so very special. Much of this album also saw its way into Sinatra's live performances: I Have Dreamed, My Heart Stood Still, Bewitched, Soliloquy, Old Man River and even Lost In The Stars in the 1980s.

Despite the praise, it's not an album I return to as often as some of the other lesser efforts in Sinatra's catalogue. Like the equally-good September of my Years, it requires a certain mood to be able to appreciate it, with neither album at all suitable for background music. This and SOMY are albums which demand 100% attention from the listener - and there is nothing wrong with that whent he music is this good - but more often than not we don't listen to music in that way these days.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:45 pm

poormadpeter wrote:It is, without doubt, a phenomenal record. It's particular strange to think that You'll Never Walk Alone is probably the weakest track on the album, and yet still very few artists in the world would struggle to ever record anything of that greatness. Old Man River is, indeed, remarkable - perhaps only ever beaten by the rendition for the 1967 TV special with Ella and Jobim, which I think just clinches it when comparing Sinatra's performances of that song. Soliloquy and I have Dreamed are so very special. Much of this album also saw its way into Sinatra's live performances: I Have Dreamed, My Heart Stood Still, Bewitched, Soliloquy, Old Man River and even Lost In The Stars in the 1980s.

Despite the praise, it's not an album I return to as often as some of the other lesser efforts in Sinatra's catalogue. Like the equally-good September of my Years, it requires a certain mood to be able to appreciate it, with neither album at all suitable for background music. This and SOMY are albums which demand 100% attention from the listener - and there is nothing wrong with that whent he music is this good - but more often than not we don't listen to music in that way these days.

It really is a marvellous album, and I certainly agree about how superlative Sinatra's performance of Ol' Man River from A Man and His Music with Ella and Jobim was. And one particular live performance of Soliloquy I rate particularly highly, can be found on Sinatra 80th: In Concert, from December 2nd, 1988, at the Fox Theatre in Detroit when playing there during the Ultimate Event Tour. This performance is, in a word, incredible -- Frank certainly loved being on stage during the 1980s.

phpBB [video]

Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:00 am

The Sinatra 80th live CD is a remarkable document, showing just what good form Sinatra was in during his early 70s. Of all the Sinatra live albums, this is the one I return to the most. The chops may have been old, but they sure as hell weren't warn out and Sinatra exudes a warmth of personality through the album which is missing from recordings such as the Main Event LP. The unedited Dallas concert benefits from nice versions of Lonely Town and When Johanna Loved Me not included on the official CD, but finally Sinatra's swinging version of Maybe This Time got an official airing on the album. Considering he had been singing it in concert for nearly a decade by the time of the recording, it's a shame that the arrangement didn't get used for Trilogy, for it would have fitted nicely on to the Present section and I believe would have been a much more worthy inclusion than Song Sung Blue.

And Soliloquy, as Greystoke has said, is remarkable. Here is a man of 72 or 73 giving not only a faultless vocal performance of one of the most difficult songs in musical theatre, but a magnificent acting performance at the same time. As a bonus it includes a section not recorded for the Concert Sinatra.

It would perhaps be true to say that the late 80s performances (particularly those as part of the ultimate event) were his last great performances in total command of his instrument (and faculties perhaps). On the various videoed concerts from that tour, Sinatra was truly on fire on some night, seemingly spurred on to give his all by the Sammy Davis who is on great form and Liza Minnelli who I would argue has never been better. The three performers were equal those nights. Davis's Music of the Night inparticular shows just what a wonderful singer and actor he was, and his send-up of Bad highlights his abilities as a great showman.

Minnelli on the other hand on the official video from Detroit is, as Davis said in his intro of her, "simply the best". Her full range is given a chance to shine, from the belting out of Cabaret and All that Jazz, to the understated Quiet Love, which in many people's hands would be over-sentimental and reek of insincerity. Sailor Boys shows her ability to internalise a song, and Ring Them Bells allows her to exercise her gift for comedy. It is a truly remarkable 20 minute set, brilliantly executed, and reminds us of what a great performer she was in her hey day.

Then out comes a considerably more Sinatra than we are used to, clearly moved by the ovation he receives. He plays on his age, reminding the audience in a subtle way that he isn't what he was. But he doesn't need to. In the Detroit concert he gives a totally spellbinding performance of Mack The Knife, for example, in an arrangement that is tricky to sing when you're 30, never mind 73. He also jokingly plays the part of a doddering fool during the medley which follows with Minnelli and Davis, but he doesn't need to, for he is still their equal despite their bigger voices.

I was 16 when the trio came to London for the British leg of the tour. I was offered the chance to go and see them, but I said no. I was not interested in aging has-beens who should have retired years before, singing songs that I didn't care for. Twenty years later, I so wish I could have that time over again and change that decision based on my closed-mindness of the time. I discovered Sinatra, Darin, swing and jazz about three years later while working in a second hand record store. I regret my decision not to see that 1989 tour now more than ever. Once can still hope for a decent dvd set to appear one day consisting of some of the best shows from that series of concerts. Until then, my worn out video tape gets pulled out on a very regular basis.

The Concert Sinatra reissue

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:51 am

Be prepared for amazing audio quality!

Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:27 am

I can't recall whether the stunning reissue of The Concert Sinatra was discussed on another post once this thread had ran its brief course, but after finding myself - once again - engrossed in this album, I thought it warranted another mention. The new remix/remaster revealing depths, detail and facets in both Nelson's arrangements and Sinatra's voice that haven't been this appreciable since the original recording sessions.

What has been done with The Concert Sinatra, almost fifty years after being recorded, is nothing short of outstanding -- the restoration, remastering and remixing of the original master tapes proving so costly that such was done at a certain loss, with the quality and integrity of the final product being paramount regardless of spending.

Most highly recommended!

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 am

greystoke wrote:I can't recall whether the stunning reissue of The Concert Sinatra was discussed on another post once this thread had ran its brief course, but after finding myself - once again - engrossed in this album, I thought it warranted another mention. The new remix/remaster revealing depths, detail and facets in both Nelson's arrangements and Sinatra's voice that haven't been this appreciable since the original recording sessions.

What has been done with The Concert Sinatra, almost fifty years after being recorded, is nothing short of outstanding -- the restoration, remastering and remixing of the original master tapes proving so costly that such was done at a certain loss, with the quality and integrity of the final product being paramount regardless of spending.

Most highly recommended!

Thanks for reviving this topic, as I missed it (and your superb posts) before. You've convinced me, I've got to pick this one up.

The specifics of when this was created (Feb 1963) are listed here, I assume it's accurate:

The Concert Sinatra
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Concert_Sinatra

Looks like it came out in June 1963:

Billboard Jun 08 1963.jpg
Billboard - June 8, 1963

And here are some cool links about the LP:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=10803
http://www.the-main-event.eu/musik/albums/repriseyears/theconcertsinatra.php
http://sinatrafamily.com/forum/frank-sinatra-recordings-25/concert-sinatra-reprise-1963-a-8155/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:50 am

Thanks, Doc. The Concert Sinatra was released in May of 1963 and first charted on June 2nd. It spent 35 weeks on Billboard's album chart, peaking at No. 6. In the UK, it first charted on July 27th and peaked at No. 8 during an 18 week stay.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:27 pm

greystoke wrote:Thanks, Doc. The Concert Sinatra was released in May of 1963 and first charted on June 2nd. It spent 35 weeks on Billboard's album chart, peaking at No. 6. In the UK, it first charted on July 27th and peaked at No. 8 during an 18 week stay.

Not sure where you got this from, but it's more likely the disc was issued in June.

The first Billboard mention of the LP was on June 8 (posted above), Reprise ad on June 15 and album review on June 22 (see below).

Billboard Jun 15 1963 p27.jpg
Billboard - June 15, 1963

Billboard Jun 22 1963 p10.jpg
Billboard - June 22, 1963
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:37 pm

greystoke wrote:Opening with Rodgers and Hammerstein's I Have Dreamed, the mood is firmly set, with the most lush strings and broadly spacious sound that Sinatra laps up with a vocal so delicious that one cannot help become wholly immersed.

'I Have Dreamed' is perfection: one of the great hidden gems from the Sinatra catalogue.

Some good discussions here gentlemen, thank you.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:36 am

The record was released in late May. Confirmed in the three-volume sessionography/discography Sinatrafile by Sinatra expert John Ridgeway.
Last edited by poormadpeter on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:13 am

George Smith wrote:
greystoke wrote:Opening with Rodgers and Hammerstein's I Have Dreamed, the mood is firmly set, with the most lush strings and broadly spacious sound that Sinatra laps up with a vocal so delicious that one cannot help become wholly immersed.

'I Have Dreamed' is perfection: one of the great hidden gems from the Sinatra catalogue.

Some good discussions here gentlemen, thank you.

I Have Dreamed is one of the many great songs from The King and I and, at the time, it was surely one of the better-known songs on The Concert Sinatra and one Frank would bring to the concert stage many times over the years. Marvellous live renditions of I Have Dreamed from December 1986 in Las Vegas, November 1970 in London and September 1963 at the United Nations spring immediately to mind -- although Frank would return to much of the material featured on The Concert Sinatra over the years. I Have Dreamed is a firm favourite of mine, though. But I can easily say that about the entire album.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:51 am

poormadpeter wrote:The record was released in late May. Confirmed in the three-volume sessionography/discography Sinatrafile by Sinatra expert John Ridgeway.

"Late May"?

How odd Reprise didn't place a Billboard ad until almost a month later, and the weekly held off reviewing the new Reprise LP for over a month. I guess this new label had no interest in selling new product by its #1 artist.

"Confirmed"?

Fans here are well aware of the fallibility of the JAT Presley sessionography/discography books. Now, since none of us have this Sinatra tome, please share what source this "expert" references, instead of a pair of sentences anyone could have written.

In lieu of any other valid information, I'll stick to the contemporaneous material I posted above as overwhelming evidence of an early-to-mid-June release.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:The record was released in late May. Confirmed in the three-volume sessionography/discography Sinatrafile by Sinatra expert John Ridgeway.

"Late May"?

How odd Reprise didn't place a Billboard ad until almost a month later, and the weekly held off reviewing the new Reprise LP for over a month. I guess this new label had no interest in selling new product by its #1 artist.

"Confirmed"?

Fans here are well aware of the fallibility of the JAT Presley sessionography/discography books. Now, since none of us have this Sinatra tome, please share what source this "expert" references, instead of a pair of sentences anyone could have written.

In lieu of any other valid information, I'll stick to the contemporaneous material I posted above as overwhelming evidence of an early-to-mid-June release.

If you don't know about how well regarded that 3 volume tome is, then you know nothing about Sinatra, which you have shown before by refusing to accept the writings of Will Friedwald when it comes to the release date of the Riddle album that Presley used. You either accept the information or you don't. But go on a Sinatra forum and question Ridgeway's knowledge and you'll be laughed at.

JAT has never created anything like Ridgeway's all-consuming work, which includes full sessionography, full international discography and full list of concerts, tv, film and radio appearances. At 1700 pages, it blows JAT out of the water.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Frank Sinatra is my 2º music passion 8).
poormadpeter, please let me know where I can get this Sinatrafiles books. I can´t find them anywhere :cry:. Thank you!. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Frank Sinatra is my 2º music passion 8).
poormadpeter, please let me know where I can get this Sinatrafiles books. I can´t find them anywhere :cry:. Thank you!. Bye for now :smt006.

A search for Sinatrafile on amazon.co.uk gives you some of the books, only available secondhand now. The 1990s 2nd editions are the ones to get (they are substantially bigger than the 70s editions) - but be warned, they are literally books of lists in the main, and not like, for example, Jorgensen's A Life In Music which has a substantial amount of reading material as well.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 pm

poormadpeter wrote:If ...

It seems you reference a book you yourself do not possess. Thanks for sharing.

People may make up their own minds on the release date:
- Contemporaneous articles and ads from the #1 music weekly
- Secondhand declarations from a book no one owns

The choice is pretty clear.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Or we could just read the back cover of the Warner Bros./Reprise CD release that says "LP originally released May, 1963."

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:43 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I never said I don't possess it? Mike simply asked where he could obtain them, and i pointed them in the right direction. If you really think that I plan to go out of my way to provide proof to you, then you should think again. I did just that on the question of the date of release of the Nelson Riddle album and that still didn't satisfy you, so I'm damned if I'm going to do it again. Your "contemporaneous articles" et al, show simply when the album hit the charts and when it was reviewed, nothing more nothing less.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:47 pm

greystoke wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Or we could just read the back cover of the Warner Bros./Reprise CD release that says "LP originally released May, 1963."

Such information is not good enough for the doc, nor are writings by Friedwald. Clarification from Sinatra himself via ouija board is the only proof Doc will take, so I'm led to believe!

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 am

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I never said I don't possess it?

Second time's the charm, then!

drjohncarpenter wrote:Fans here are well aware of the fallibility of the JAT Presley sessionography/discography books. Now, since none of us have this Sinatra tome, please share what source this "expert" references, instead of a pair of sentences anyone could have written.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:55 am

greystoke wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes! How easy was that?

You are certainly knowledgeable enough to well know that major label CD reissues are not infallible. So to suggest this statement is definitive is a bit cavalier. Think of the miscues we know from following Elvis CDs on RCA, BMG, Sony or FTD.

I'm a stickler for facts and historical accuracy. This topic cited no chronology of any kind until my input. Additional research I've posted here strongly implies a June release.

Reprise had been sold to Warner Brothers just prior to the releases seen in the above June 1963 ad, and the label was all about getting better numbers at retail than what had gone down since 1960. So a May 1963 release would strongly imply May 1963 publicity and push from the Reprise sales department. But I could find none.

If anyone -- besides me -- is able to produce something credible and definitive to support an earlier release date, bring it on.

::rocks

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
greystoke wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes! How easy was that?

You are certainly knowledgeable enough to well know that major label CD reissues are not infallible. So to suggest this statement is definitive is a bit cavalier. Think of the miscues we know from following Elvis CDs on RCA, BMG, Sony or FTD.

I'm a stickler for facts and historical accuracy. This topic cited no chronology of any kind until my input. Additional research I've posted here strongly implies a June release.

Reprise had been sold to Warner Brothers just prior to the releases seen in the above June 1963 ad, and the label was all about getting better numbers at retail than what had gone down since 1960. So a May 1963 release would strongly imply May 1963 publicity and push from the Reprise sales department. But I could find none.

If anyone -- besides me -- is able to produce something credible and definitive to support an earlier release date, bring it on.

Since you are so willing to use wikipedia as a source of reliable info, perhaps you should take a look at this page, scroll down to 1963 and look at the month of release for The Concert Sinatra:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Sinatra_discography#Studio_albums

Charles L Granata's book "Sessions with Sinatra" also gives the date as May 1963.

The book "A Life in the Golden Age of Jazz: a biogrpahy of Buddy DeFranco" states "The album, released in May 1963, would be called 'The Concert Sinatra'"

Both give enough information to verify this through your trusty old friend, Google books.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
greystoke wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes! How easy was that?

there is nothing credible or definitive about your information - it simply shows that the record was released by June 1963. Nothing shows it wasn't released before. In fact, you now have five pieces of evidence to show that it WAS released before.