Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:45 am

phpBB [video]

Recorded weeks after I was born, by one of the 80s finest bands.

Really getting into these guys recently.

Re: The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:00 am

londonflash wrote:
phpBB [video]

Recorded weeks after I was born, by one of the 80s finest bands.

Really getting into these guys recently.

"Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" by the Smiths. What a great song and what a superb, unique band. If the four of them reunited for a tour, it would sell out from coast-to-coast, U.S. and U.K. And I would not miss it.

Thanks for posting the link, it was new to my eyes. IIRC, it's from "Top Of The Pops" on May 31, 1984. Morrissey had just turned 25 nine days earlier. He must have been thrilled!

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:25 am

The Smiths were one of the greatest bands around and soooo influential.

Along with the likes of U2, Depeche Mode, The Cure and many other great artists, they are what made the 80's such a fantastic decade for music.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:06 pm

phpBB [video]

The picture sleeve of this single Shoplifters of the World Unite

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:38 am

The artwork was cool on all of The Smiths' records, and.with the exception of "Hand In Glove", which was only issued on 7" in the U.K. I bought all of their singles on 12". Happy times.

These always featured 3 great tracks with the 2 tracks on the B sides generally being left off the albums (later compilations excepted).

I doubt they will ever reform, but the same was said of The Stone Roses, and now they are playing together again to rave reviews, so you never know.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:06 am

rockinrebel wrote:I doubt they will ever reform, but the same was said of The Stone Roses, and now they are playing together again to rave reviews, so you never know.

I can't think of any other band I would rather see reform. To my regret I only got to see The Smiths perform live once (in 1985), and seeing them back together would be a dream come true. 8)

"Paint a Vulgar Picture" from their last album could have been written about Elvis and RCA.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:56 am

Steelback wrote:
I can't think of any other band I would rather see reform. To my regret I only got to see The Smiths perform live once (in 1985), and seeing them back together would be a dream come true. 8)

"Paint a Vulgar Picture" from their last album could have been written about Elvis and RCA.

It would be great if they did reform, but I can't see it happening. I never saw them live. They played a small venue in my hometown when they were just starting out....how I regret missing that one. I have seen Morrissey a few times, but a reunion would top that.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:39 am

I agree, I don't see it happening either. rebel, you should drop by and post more often.

The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:30 am

Steelback wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:I doubt they will ever reform, but the same was said of The Stone Roses, and now they are playing together again to rave reviews, so you never know.

wow I'd have loved to see the smiths live but I wasn't old enough. I did see morrissey in 91 and 92 in his first us solo tours though. Big fan of them.

Elvis note: supposedly there's an unfinished version of a fool such as I they attempted for a bside...

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:53 am

guidedbyvoices wrote:
Elvis note: supposedly there's an unfinished version of a fool such as I they attempted for a bside...

That's news to me, I've never heard it mentioned before. They did, of course, perform His Latest Flame as part of a medley with Rusholme Ruffians on the Meat Is Murder tour in '85.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:28 pm

midnightx wrote:I agree, I don't see it happening either. rebel, you should drop by and post more often.

Thanks...I will try to. The Smiths are the cover stars of the October edition of Mojo, and the cover CD is a nice indie compilation with some hard to find tracks, including Hurrah's "Sweet Sanity". A single I bought back in the '80's but haven't heard in years.