Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers-"Here Comes My Girl"

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:41 pm

To say that after 32 years this song has stood the test of time would be an understatement! A great moment from our fellow Elvis fan, Mr. Petty.

The filmmakers that did this video really had their act together. Camerawork, editing, even down to the unintentionally scratchy and dirty 16mm film. Fantastic. This is one of those videos where it's the band only. No elaborate sets, no concepts, just the music.

phpBB [video]

Re: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers-"Here Comes My Girl"

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:46 pm

My favorite band,thanks for posting
phpBB [video]

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:52 pm

This is one of the best songs from a great album, Damn The Torpedoes. After the late 1979 release of this Jimmy Iovine-produced LP, Petty was a true contender. He has been doing great things ever since.

The chorus is 100% influenced by the Byrds, which is no surprise. It's hard to believe this one only went to Billboard U.S. Pop #59 in 1980.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:07 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:This is one of the best songs from a great album, Damn The Torpedoes. After the late 1979 release of this Jimmy Iovine-produced LP, Petty was a true contender. He has been doing great things ever since.

The chorus is 100% influenced by the Byrds, which is no surprise. It's hard to believe this one only went to Billboard U.S. Pop #59 in 1980.

I became a fan after the first few times of hearing 'Refugee' on the radio when it came out. There was no MTV back then. The only visual reference you had were album jackets. Something about the minimalist photo of TP with his Rickenbacker against the red background communicated through the cover. I ended up buying this album for the first time on cassette and then not too soon after getting the earlier releases as well. I was a fan pretty steadily up until 'Southern Accents'. It just seemed that his stuff was getting too polished around that time, and the videos were getting silly. Still I have remained a fan since '79 and I've seen him perform a few times over the last 10 years. He is an amazing showman. Definitely from the 'less is more' school. I wondered why I never caught him on tour in the early 80s, but I think he spent a few years off the road, no?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's hard to believe this one only went to Billboard U.S. Pop #59 in 1980.

Even harder to believe since the album peaked at #2. Pink Floyd 'The Wall' kept it out of the top spot.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:38 pm

I had the pleasure of hearing this one live in concert in Gothenburg, Sweden in 1992. It is a faboulus song by a faboulus artist. Thank´s for uploading.

//Björn