Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Johnny Ray and Frankie Laine - Up Above My Head (1957)

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:33 am

Wow. It's completely different to Elvis' version as featured in the Gospel medley. What do others think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4w6a1R5QWI

Re: Johnny Ray and Frankie Laine - Up Above My Head (1957)

Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:54 pm

I have this version of 'Up above my head' in my collection, love it . It's always been one of my favourites.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:05 pm

Ok how about Johnny Ray and Timi Yuro -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-snerR6 ... ture=feedf

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:11 am

Thanks for posting that. I've never heard this version before. For me The Johnnie Ray/ Frankie Laine version is the best :D

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:05 pm

I have it on a bunch of 78rpm records someone gave me. It's a fun track by two singers who are both vastly under-rated today.

There's a live performance too:
phpBB [video]

Interestingly, the same year, Ray recorded this on hiw only real attempt at a bluesy album:
phpBB [video]

Ray had a tumultuous life. He was nearly deaf and was arrested twice for soliciting men. The second arrest being in 1959. He was found not guilty on that occasion, but his hit-making career was over, either as a result of the scandal or simply because his style had been superceded by others. The following year he contracted TB, partly through his alcoholism, something with which he was plagued for the rest of his life. Even so, he still peformed regularly in night-clubs throughout the 1960s, and was the opening act for Judy Garland's last series of concerts, shortly before her death in 1969. He made a fine, but forgotten, LP in 1976 of more contemporary songs but his career was then resigned pretty much to the occasional TV guest spot or night club appearance. He appeared on the Royal Variety Show a couple of years before his death in 1990. He also gave an effective performance in the 1954 musical "There's No Business Like Show Business" when at the height of his fame.

Despite his homosexuality, scandals, alcoholism and dated style, he was still highly regarded in some countries. The performance below is from the early to mid-1980s from Holland. He sang three songs as part of an "oldies" concert. His voice hadn't changed that much really, considering 30 years had passed since he had his first big hit with Cry. The reception he gets is genuine and he appears genuinely moved by it. Love him or hate him, Ray never seemed to sing a single lyric he didn't believe in - whether it was sickly sentimental or a novelty song. There is a wonderful performance of Yes Tonight Josephine from around 1957 on Dutch TV where he virtually makes love to a piano with each chorus, but sadly this isn't on youtube, but makes the Milton Berle Hound Dog look extremely innocent!

phpBB [video]

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:45 am

Thanks for the links to the videos, I've not seen the last one before.