Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Frank Sinatra, Torna a Surriento (Come Back to Sorrento)

Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:52 pm

From the Frank Sinatra Show, in 1950 . . . This is a marvellous version of the famed Neapolitan song, written and composed by Giambattista and Ernesto De Curtis. Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman reworked the song for Elvis as Surrender.

phpBB [video]

Re: Frank Sinatra, Torna a Surriento (Come Back to Sorrento)

Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:02 am

thats very nice indeed. was there a studio version as well? It rings a bell, but as you know my knowledge of the Columbia years is not great!

Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:08 am

poormadpeter wrote:thats very nice indeed. was there a studio version as well? It rings a bell, but as you know my knowledge of the Columbia years is not great!

Yes, Sinatra recorded a superb version also in 1950.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:23 pm

There's a statue commemorating one of the song's composers in Sorrento. I saw it when I was there in June.

A beautiful place, but could only spend the afternoon mooching around as I was knackered after trawling around Pompeii for hours earlier in the day.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:43 pm

londonflash wrote:There's a statue commemorating one of the song's composers in Sorrento. I saw it when I was there in June.

A beautiful place, but could only spend the afternoon mooching around as I was knackered after trawling around Pompeii for hours earlier in the day.

I've never been to Italy, but would very much like to. The song's writer and composer are brothers.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:59 pm

londonflash wrote:There's a statue commemorating one of the song's composers in Sorrento. I saw it when I was there in June.

I did tell you it was big :wink:

If I am not mistaken, the lyrics are also on a wall near the Circumvesuviana station in Sorrento.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:04 pm

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:22 pm

JaneTLC wrote:

I did tell you it was big :wink:

If I am not mistaken, the lyrics are also on a wall near the Circumvesuviana station in Sorrento.

You did, hehe.

Wonderful place though.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:04 pm

This does nothing for me. Elvis knocks this 'version' for six!

Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:48 pm

By the way, Sinatra is singing a terrible mix of Napoletan dialect (in which the song is written) and Italian (which someone has substituted in parts for the Napoletan, for some reason). He enunciates neither correctly.