Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

EJ using 2001 for the MILLION$PIANO shows

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:53 pm

I just got back from seeing Elton John’s Million $ Piano Show in Las Vegas on Friday night.

Elton is using the THEME from 2001 to open the show. He comes out at the end of a pre-recorded version of 2001. To me it was done tongue-in-cheek. Elton comes out in a gold sparkling cape (with a long train) – more Liberace than Elvis (or Elton). Then 2 stage hands take it off (ala James Brown).

But it is NO WHERE NEAR as exciting as Elvis walking on stage, and there was something anti-climatic without the CC Rider fanfare/vamp.

But WOW the Million $ Piano Show is UNVBELIVALBE, with the videos, props and lighting…and of course Elton’s piano lights up and plays video to match the surrounding elements. It was a great show.
I wonder if Elvis would have done this kind of show in his 60’s? He just had 4 spotlights and a lighted backdrop…That’s all he needed.

Elton too could play in a barn and it would be great. But his new show is much better than THE RED PIANO…short though, only 2 hours (vs 3 hours on tour). But it was well worth the price of the vacation (and the money losing at gambling) to see!!!

Re: EJ using 2001 for the MILLION$PIANO shows

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:17 pm

Sounds fantastic -- I've always liked Elton John's music, but have never had the pleasure of seeing him live. He's certainly got a penchant for the extravagant, but is no less impressive - perhaps even more so - when sitting alone at the piano sans fireworks, fanfare and farce . . . It's interesting that he's chosen to open with the Sunrise segment of Richard Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra, which is a marvellous tone poem that works best in its entirety, played by a good orchestra . . . It certainly added some drama prior to Elvis's arrival on the concert stage, and I can see how Elton may use this piece of music in a tongue-in-cheek manner if entering the stage wearing a cloak replete with train.

Re: EJ using 2001 for the MILLION$PIANO shows

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:33 am

I am not the jealous type but damn thats made me very jealous!