Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Sinatra: Best of the Best

Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:18 pm

Set for release on November 1st as a single-disc and double-disc "Deluxe" edition, featuring Sinatra's terrific June 9th, 1957 concert in Seattle, Washington, this release marks the first time recordings made by Sinatra at Capitol and Reprise have met together on an official product.

The content is stellar, but certainly familiar to most who own a Sinatra greatest hits or "best of" CD -- but the Seattle concert has long been out of print, and is worth the price alone, as the 24K gold edition usually sells for exorbitant amounts on eBay or via Amazon's third-party sellers.

Sinatra: Best of the Best

1. I’ve Got The World On A String
2. My Funny Valentine
3. Young At Heart
4. In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning
5. Love And Marriage
6. You Make Me Feel So Young
7. I’ve Got You Under My Skin
8. The Lady Is A Tramp
9. Witchcraft
10. All The Way
11. Come Fly With Me
12. Angel Eyes
13. Nice ‘N’ Easy
14. Night And Day
15. The Way You Look Tonight
16. My Kind Of Town
17. Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words)
18. It Was A Very Good Year
19. Strangers In The Night
20. Summer Wind
21. That’s Life
22. My Way
23. Theme From New York, New York

CD2 – IN CONCERT Live In Seattle, June 9th, 1957

1. Introduction/You Make Me Feel So Young
2. It Happened In Monterey
3. At Long Last Love
4. I Get A Kick Out Of You
5. Just One Of Those Things
6. A Foggy Day
7. The Lady Is A Tramp
8. They Can't Take That Away From Me
9. I Won't Dance
10. Sinatra Dialogue
11. When Your Lover Has Gone
12. Violets For Your Furs
13. My Funny Valentine
14. Glad To Be Unhappy
15. One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)
16. (Love Is) The Tender Trap
17. Hey! Jealous Lover
18. I've Got You Under My Skin
19. Oh! Look At Me Now

Re: Sinatra: Best of the Best

Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:58 pm

The concert as the 2nd disc is great news - and a great example of how rarities can be appended to well-known masters without the price being extortionate. I think I'm right in saying that the concert is still the earliest of Sinatra's career to have been issued by a mainstream label (as opposed to semi-bootleg releases of the Blackpool 1953 and Melbourne 1955 shows)?

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:31 pm

poormadpeter wrote:The concert as the 2nd disc is great news - and a great example of how rarities can be appended to well-known masters without the price being extortionate. I think I'm right in saying that the concert is still the earliest of Sinatra's career to have been issued by a mainstream label (as opposed to semi-bootleg releases of the Blackpool 1953 and Melbourne 1955 shows)?

As a stand-alone CD, the Seattle show is the earliest concert to be released by one of the main labels associated with Sinatra, but Sinatra: New York features the February 3rd, 1955 reunion with Tommy Dorsey at the Manhattan Centre . . . Those Blackpool and Melbourne are superb, though -- as is the brief appearance with Dorsey. Sinatra's show in Vancouver, from June 8th, 1957, is also available, but the audio isn't particularly good. This is also a semi-official or PD release . . .

Talking of Sinatra concerts on CD, there's a few interesting releases available on Amazon just now, but I'm not sure of the content of their legitimacy -- Sinatra in Japan, The Voice in Argentina and Sinatra Sings for the New Yorkers are three such discs . . . The latter purports to have been recorded at Radio City Music Hall in 1994, whilst the cover features a concert still from the 1940s. Another, The Voice in Via Asiago is from a little-known 1953 radio show, which I have purchased and am awaiting delivery -- the Italian label who released this CD have a good catalogue, and the audio clips on their website are clear as a bell, hence my purchase -- and the era and material, of course. But the others look cheap and a touch nasty . . .

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:42 pm

The fact that the New Yorkers CD is on amazon beggars belief - it is an audience recording! I don't know about the argentinian concert - although I think I have the video of this concert somewhere as it was filmed for argentinian television, and so I'm guessing the sound comes from the same source. The concert I have is from 1981, so a good Sinatra year, but not a patch on Concert for the Americas, of course.

I forgot about the 1955 concert on the New York set which, as you know, I found disappointing and really don't play much. The Blackpool concert finds Sinatra in good form but decidedly rattled, it seems, during his often rather spiky dialogue. Melbourne 1955 is generally viewed as disappointing in books etc, but I haven't heard it for a while. The think I'm hoping for one day is the dvd of the unedited London concert with the sextet from 1962. The tapes do exist, so there is always hope. More likely, I guess, is a DVD of the Ultimate Event - that this hasn't made it to official DVD as yet is really surprising since all three participants are on extremely good form - and Minnelli was arguably at her peak with her solo segment even blowing Sammy's out of the water!

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:53 pm

poormadpeter wrote:The fact that the New Yorkers CD is on amazon beggars belief - it is an audience recording! I don't know about the argentinian concert - although I think I have the video of this concert somewhere as it was filmed for argentinian television, and so I'm guessing the sound comes from the same source. The concert I have is from 1981, so a good Sinatra year, but not a patch on Concert for the Americas, of course.

I forgot about the 1955 concert on the New York set which, as you know, I found disappointing and really don't play much. The Blackpool concert finds Sinatra in good form but decidedly rattled, it seems, during his often rather spiky dialogue. Melbourne 1955 is generally viewed as disappointing in books etc, but I haven't heard it for a while. The think I'm hoping for one day is the dvd of the unedited London concert with the sextet from 1962. The tapes do exist, so there is always hope. More likely, I guess, is a DVD of the Ultimate Event - that this hasn't made it to official DVD as yet is really surprising since all three participants are on extremely good form - and Minnelli was arguably at her peak with her solo segment even blowing Sammy's out of the water!

I was presuming that the New York CD was an audience recording -- and figured the Argentina CD to be from the early '80s, and the show you mention is superb. But the Concert for the Americas is something else -- that was an exceptional special. The New York CD I may pick up, considering it's only a couple of pounds, but the others are a bit pricey to take a risk on, when, certainly, they are dubious.

I remember you mentioning some disappointment in the New York set, but I very much like it -- although, the brevity and matching of material on two of the discs makes for something patchy, unfortunately. But, if such was the only way to present some historic and excellent live performances, then it does for me. I hope for a third box set to follow Las Vegas and New York -- what? is the question, given the possibilities of shows in Japan, South America, London, Egypt, Spain etc. which were recorded on video as well as audibly. The 1962 London show could figure here -- in fact, there's so much great material from Sinatra's World Tour for Children to make a splendid set in its own right. Whilst, Sinatra Amidst the Pyramids was remastered a few years ago, but there's still legal wranglings over it being released.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:06 am

have you heard the mini studio session Sinatra recorded with the sextet in italy in 1962? It consists of a batch of 90 second versions of standards recorded for commercials.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:06 pm

poormadpeter wrote:have you heard the mini studio session Sinatra recorded with the sextet in italy in 1962? It consists of a batch of 90 second versions of standards recorded for commercials.

Only parts -- not the entire session; at least, as far as I'm aware.

Talking of snippets, audio-clips etc. Do you own the Sinatra Treasures? It's really terrific, also. The CD contains some rarities and interview snippets -- notably the 1981 interview with Arlene Francis and the version of High Hopes recorded for the Kennedy campaign. The reproduced documents are mostly fascinating, and this works much better than The Elvis Treasures, and is a more lavish offering -- the sesion notes for the ill-fated Quincy Jones produced Sinatra/Lena Horne project are here, with every song outlined, along with session musicians and guest singers such as Ray Charles and Michael Jackson.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:29 pm

greystoke wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:have you heard the mini studio session Sinatra recorded with the sextet in italy in 1962? It consists of a batch of 90 second versions of standards recorded for commercials.

Talking of snippets, audio-clips etc. Do you own the Sinatra Treasures? It's really terrific, also. The CD contains some rarities and interview snippets -- notably the 1981 interview with Arlene Francis and the version of High Hopes recorded for the Kennedy campaign. The reproduced documents are mostly fascinating, and this works much better than The Elvis Treasures, and is a more lavish offering -- the sesion notes for the ill-fated Quincy Jones produced Sinatra/Lena Horne project are here, with every song outlined, along with session musicians and guest singers such as Ray Charles and Michael Jackson.

I don't have the sinatra treasures, but may well pick it up following your recommendations!

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:35 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
greystoke wrote:

I don't have the sinatra treasures, but may well pick it up following your recommendations!

It can usually be found pretty cheap, and is certainly worth it . . . It's a joy to explore and I return to it quite often.