Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

New Dizzy Gillespie set in the UK

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:28 pm

Avid Entertainment continue to excel in their seemingly never-ending stream of releases of hard to find jazz recordings in the publc domain. Recently they have released a double CD containing four complete albums:
Sonny Side Up
Roy and Diz #2
Dizzy in Greece
For Musicians Only.

As always, sound is nigh-on brilliant and, once again, this is an important release as it is the only way to aquire two fine albums on CD from one of the great innovators of jazz during his peak period (without hunting the albums down through Japanese releases, that is). Those two rare albums, Dizzy in Greece and For Musicians Only, find Dizzy and his fellow musicians (including Stan Getz and Sonny Stitt) in fine form, with Gillespie particularly inspired. There is actually a third rare album here too: Roy and Diz #2 has only been released on one other public domain release since Verve deleted their issue back in the late 1990s.

Interestingly, For Musicians Only features a track called Dark Eyes, which only ran for 9 minutes on the original album, but here is unedited at 12 minutes. Here Gillespie gives a respectful nod to Louis Armstrong, as the track is based on the classic Ochi Chorniyewhich had been recorded by Armstrong. This youtube clip is from the original LP and NOT the avid cd release, which has faultless audio quality:

phpBB [video]

The double CD (part of a long, long series of releases) comes with a booklet containing scans of both the front and backs of each LP, along with recording information.

For some years now, Avid Entertainment have been a great example of what is/was so great about the European public domain law - forgotten music by some of the world's greatest musicians and innovators at an affordable price (normally between £5-8 for each double disc), in great sound quality and in nice packaging. The fact that, as late as 2011, there are still albums by geniuses such as Gillespie (and Duke Ellington is another example) gathering dust in the vaults of the major companies shows just how real music lovers will lose when the PD laws change in a couple of years.

In the meantime, this great little release is highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Albums-Musicians-Sonny-Greece/dp/B0050BSNOY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317490100&sr=8-2

Re: New Dizzy Gillespie set in the UK

Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:34 pm

Dizzy and Greece and For Musicians Only are marvellous albums, which I'll be sure to re-purchase in this release -- which is more than appealing. And that extended edit/unedited Dark Eyes is fabulous, and doesn't out-stay its welcome.

Re: New Dizzy Gillespie set in the UK

Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:09 pm

greystoke wrote:Dizzy and Greece and For Musicians Only are marvellous albums, which I'll be sure to re-purchase in this release -- which is more than appealing. And that extended edit/unedited Dark Eyes is fabulous, and doesn't out-stay its welcome.

Yes, it was picked up on a bit of a whim yesterday - although I have to say that HMV in Norwich do stock alot of the Avid releases, which is nice. Dark Eyes is 3 mintues longer on the CD than on the youtube clip. I love the way the track starts out as a clear homage to Satchmo. played in a similar pace and style to the version on I Love Jazz, before the number kicks in proper and sails away for a 12 minute romp. Bliss.

Avid also has newly out (or has coming out) similar sets by Johnny Hodges, Sonny Stitt, Harry Edison, Buck Clayton, Andre Previn and Shorty Rogers each containing three or four hard original albums. Their catalogue is extremely impressive.