Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

New Nina Simone RCA Boxed Set

Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:55 am

Sony have put together a very nice boxed set containing all 9 of the albums Nina recorded for RCA. Each CD comes in a nice mini-LP sleeve and housed within a nice looking box. Each of the 9 discs contain bonus tracks, totalling 35 bonus tracks in all. All in all a very nice companion to the collection of her Philips albums from a few years back.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Albums-Collection-Nina-Simone/dp/B005LTDPFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317426683&sr=8-1

Re: New Nina Simone RCA Boxed Set

Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:11 pm

Oh, that's very nice -- and a great price, too. There's so many appealing box sets being released just now, both on CD and Blu-ray. It's wonderful . . .

Re: New Nina Simone RCA Boxed Set

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:09 pm

greystoke wrote:Oh, that's very nice -- and a great price, too. There's so many appealing box sets being released just now, both on CD and Blu-ray. It's wonderful . . .


Yes, the fact they are coming out on CD is interesting, especially at a time when so many people are sounding the death knell for the CD. I still think downloads will take over for contemporary pop, but that there will always be a market for physical product for classic artists, and genres such as jazz and classical.

Re: New Nina Simone RCA Boxed Set

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:40 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
greystoke wrote:Oh, that's very nice -- and a great price, too. There's so many appealing box sets being released just now, both on CD and Blu-ray. It's wonderful . . .


Yes, the fact they are coming out on CD is interesting, especially at a time when so many people are sounding the death knell for the CD. I still think downloads will take over for contemporary pop, but that there will always be a market for physical product for classic artists, and genres such as jazz and classical.


Somehow, I think there's plenty of life left in the CD market yet -- personally speaking, however, I'm more than partial to a good box-set, with well-produced digi-paks and detailed booklets a further treat, IMO . . . Yet, there's surely room for a download market and tangible products to exist hand-in-hand, even if downloads rule the day with regards to singles and individual tracks, although, I'm not certain how the sales of album downloads compare to that of the physical product.

Re: New Nina Simone RCA Boxed Set

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Well, this landed on my doormat this week. It's hardly lavish (but for £20 for 9 albums, who would expect that), but it is very nicely done. Yes, I had all the music elsewhere, but it sounds much better here (newly remastered) and the bonus tracks on the end of each track fits nicely with the content of the albums themselves (for example the "lost songs" from Nina Simone and Piano). The booklet is mostly recording info, but still nicely done.

Perhaps the biggest plus is what has happened to the Nuff Said album, the concert Nina performed just after Martin Luther King was shot. It was heavily edited on initial release, but here are seemingly full versions of the songs on the original album, plus all the extra tracks from the show which have been released elsewhere. This means that you need to keep your current CD of the album if you want to hear it in its original form, but the issue on the current box is most welcome, if harrowing at times.

The 35 bonus tracks over the 9 discs come from various singles, and also appear to round up all the "previously unreleased" tracks from Nina Simone compilations over the years. So, there is nothing new here, but what this makes for a wonderful coherent collection of everything so far released frmo Simone's RCA years, in nice packaging, and never sounding better. Recommended.

Re: New Nina Simone RCA Boxed Set

Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:15 am

poormadpeter wrote:Well, this landed on my doormat this week. It's hardly lavish (but for £20 for 9 albums, who would expect that), but it is very nicely done. Yes, I had all the music elsewhere, but it sounds much better here (newly remastered) and the bonus tracks on the end of each track fits nicely with the content of the albums themselves (for example the "lost songs" from Nina Simone and Piano). The booklet is mostly recording info, but still nicely done.

Perhaps the biggest plus is what has happened to the Nuff Said album, the concert Nina performed just after Martin Luther King was shot. It was heavily edited on initial release, but here are seemingly full versions of the songs on the original album, plus all the extra tracks from the show which have been released elsewhere. This means that you need to keep your current CD of the album if you want to hear it in its original form, but the issue on the current box is most welcome, if harrowing at times.

The 35 bonus tracks over the 9 discs come from various singles, and also appear to round up all the "previously unreleased" tracks from Nina Simone compilations over the years. So, there is nothing new here, but what this makes for a wonderful coherent collection of everything so far released frmo Simone's RCA years, in nice packaging, and never sounding better. Recommended.


Sounds like a good purchase, and the price is great. I'll hopefully pick this up in the new year.