Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Harry Connick Jr

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:30 pm

When Harry Connick Jr came onto the scene in the late 1980s, he was hailed as the new Sinatra, mostly due to his big band soundtrack to When Harry Met Sally in the classic swing style and his vocals on the album "20". But Connick turned out to be quite a different artist that Sinatra - with his hip, young band, and his own willingness to try out his own often-experimental arrangements and often arty songs he refused to be pigeon-holed and over the next fifteen years or so moved from Sinatra-style swing to New Orleans jazz to funk and rock and back again. In recent years, for me at least, Connick has disappointed - his albums have lost that sense of playfulness and have, in effect, become rather dull and the sense of impishness which was present in his live performances has also been erased as middle age approaches. The only exception to this seems to have been his tribute album to new Orleans (Oh My Nola) which returned to often exciting, novel arrangements which are sorely lacking on "Only You" and "Your Songs".

I was lucky enough to see Connick live in 2000 in London, and his impishness and playful qualities were still intact, and would be for another year or two at least as he went on to release his album of children's songs (Songs I Heard) and the follow up to "20" and "25", appropriately entitled "30!". Not knowing Connick's penchent for long shows, we were caught out when, after 3 hours, Connick and the band were still going strong and we had to leave due to transport issues!

These performances show Connick at, in my opinion, his best - and on each and every occasion he, and his band, are having a ball!

Connick's love of New Orleans comes through on everything he does, and he talks here candidly of Hurricane Katrina:

phpBB [video]

And a musical tribute to New Orleans here, from the classic New York Concert:
phpBB [video]

This recent performance of One More Time isn't a patch on his studio version, but it's such a gorgeous song by Pomus and Schuman that it has to be included here. If only Presley had got his hands on this one.

phpBB [video]

This is from an earlier concert. Just before this he has told the audience that he wanted to do a version of a well known song that they would all know:
phpBB [video]

From the same show:

phpBB [video]

From the first of the funk albums (seemingly with a blocked up nose! but check out the guitar solo)
phpBB [video]

And my favourite Connick performance:
phpBB [video]

Re: Harry Connick Jr

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Does he do "The Sound Of Your Cry"?

Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:01 pm

promiseland wrote:Does he do "The Sound Of Your Cry"?

Goodness, there are some odd people on these boards these days.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:53 pm

I've never been a huge fan of Harry Connick, Jr. Not that I find him to be intolerable, or anything of the sort -- in fact, I believe him to be a talented artist and a fine singer. I don't own any of his albums, however; but have noticed changes in his music over the years. And that's a good thing.

Michael Buble' has done so very well performing decently enough innumerable standards and taking a big band sound and a touch of swing to more contemporary songs -- I can't think of Buble' singing many Elvis songs, however. I mention this, because I've read that Presley is his favourite singer . . .

I recently re-watched Robbie Williams' concert at the Royal Albert Hall. That's a fantastic show -- Rob sings his arse off, improved leaps and bounds as a vocalist after recording at Capitol - Swing When You're Winning - and shows a true affinity and love for the standards and Great American Songbook. Unlike, say, Rod Stewart, who never convinced me when turning to so many beautiful songs in the most indelicate of ways. Had the first release not proved to be so successful, I wonder if he would have recorded 5 volumes . . .

Paul McCartney has planned an album of standards, which may be very interesting. He's an artist I've never known to have a great fondness for such, although he did write a song for Frank Sinatra - called Suicide - in the late 1970s, which is said to have been rejected, although, chances are, he just didn't get around to recording it. The same having been said of Elton John and Bernie Taupin's Remember, which Frank sang in concert -- a lovely song, in fact.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Buble does a very nice version of Always On My Mind and his Can't Help Falling In Love is a fair enough cover, but nothign exciting. As for Rod Stewart, I have never seen the attraction of his songbook series, I find them quite appalling in fact, a lucrative case of jumping on a swing bandwagon in fact. I'm surprised Williams never did a follow up CD, he clearly loves the music with a passion and does a damn fine job on it when he puts his mind to it. I thought his swing album was a little lazy, relying for the most part of second-hand arrangements - not that most of the people who bought it knew that, of course - but then Buble's first couple of albums suffered for the same reasons. But his last albums, Crazy Love and Call Me Irresponsible show a considerable maturing of his talents, and a fine sense of showmanship shine through on his covers of Cry Me A River and Heartache Tonight, for example.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:44 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Buble does a very nice version of Always On My Mind and his Can't Help Falling In Love is a fair enough cover, but nothign exciting. As for Rod Stewart, I have never seen the attraction of his songbook series, I find them quite appalling in fact, a lucrative case of jumping on a swing bandwagon in fact. I'm surprised Williams never did a follow up CD, he clearly loves the music with a passion and does a damn fine job on it when he puts his mind to it. I thought his swing album was a little lazy, relying for the most part of second-hand arrangements - not that most of the people who bought it knew that, of course - but then Buble's first couple of albums suffered for the same reasons. But his last albums, Crazy Love and Call Me Irresponsible show a considerable maturing of his talents, and a fine sense of showmanship shine through on his covers of Cry Me A River and Heartache Tonight, for example.

Buble's Always On My Mind is ringing a few bells with me -- and I am also surprised that Williams hasn't released a follow-up to Swing When You're Winning, although his success as an album artist has rarely waivered. This considered, perhaps scheduling has been an issue, because such has been mentioned on occassion -- Williams usually incorporating one or two standards into his setlist, even having performed a few shows in Europe over the years in which standards and swing took the lead over his body of hits.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:45 pm

greystoke wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Buble does a very nice version of Always On My Mind and his Can't Help Falling In Love is a fair enough cover, but nothign exciting. As for Rod Stewart, I have never seen the attraction of his songbook series, I find them quite appalling in fact, a lucrative case of jumping on a swing bandwagon in fact. I'm surprised Williams never did a follow up CD, he clearly loves the music with a passion and does a damn fine job on it when he puts his mind to it. I thought his swing album was a little lazy, relying for the most part of second-hand arrangements - not that most of the people who bought it knew that, of course - but then Buble's first couple of albums suffered for the same reasons. But his last albums, Crazy Love and Call Me Irresponsible show a considerable maturing of his talents, and a fine sense of showmanship shine through on his covers of Cry Me A River and Heartache Tonight, for example.

Buble's Always On My Mind is ringing a few bells with me -- and I am also surprised that Williams hasn't released a follow-up to Swing When You're Winning, although his success as an album artist has rarely waivered. This considered, perhaps scheduling has been an issue, because such has been mentioned on occassion -- Williams usually incorporating one or two standards into his setlist, even having performed a few shows in Europe over the years in which standards and swing took the lead over his body of hits.

I'm really rather fond of his sparse arrangement:

phpBB [video]

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:54 pm

That's a pretty arrangement and a lovely rendition.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:39 am

He's a "classic."

Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:51 pm

midnightx wrote:He's a "classic."

Again, a remarkable post from your good self, especially considering you have failed to respond to my response to your last post of what is and isn't a "classic" artist. If you had it your way, we would probably fill this section of the board with nothing but classic "rock" artists, and probably narrow those down to Springsteen, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. To put it in your own terms, what a narrow-minded view of Elvis fan's musical tastes that would give to browsers of these boards.

As it is, a 35-year recording career, 25 million record sales, 3 Grammys, 2 Emmys, more US number 1 jazz albums than any other artist, a successful film career, the writing of a Broadway musical, and star of 2 Broadway musicals means he is more than worthy of entry here. The fact he is still recording and singing in a genre you don't like really shouldn't come into the equation.

I also draw your attention to the description of this section of the board:

"Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc"

Happy now?