Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Conway Twitty - Treat Me Nice

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:47 pm

Great version by Conway. What do others think ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxJicU-kBGo

Re: Conway Twitty - Treat Me Nice

Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:28 pm

Yes a very good version, Conway could certainly rock when the mood took him.

One of my favourite singles by him was the double sided 'Its Only Make Believe' b/w 'I'll Try'. His version of 'Mona Lisa' was great too.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Very good version

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:26 am

Much better than I expected.

Thanks for the link.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:48 am

.. I also like his version of "City Lights"

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Love his MGM material.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:55 pm

Me too, but I love his Decca material more.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:44 pm

FAR superior is THIS track - a 'kissin' cousin' to "Mystery Train" if ever there was one! (Gets into the groove at 00.30)

phpBB [video]

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Rob wrote:Me too, but I love his Decca material more.

Me too!

Here are the "Elvis" covers on the great Bear Family Box Set of Conway's Rock 'n' Roll Years:

Mona Lisa
You'll Never Walk Alone
Just Because
Blueberry Hill
Heartbreak Hotel
Danny Boy
Lonely Blue Boy (aka "Danny")
Blue Moon
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
Blue Suede Shoes
Jailhouse Rock
Treat Me Nice
Shake, Rattle And Roll
Unchained Melody
Pledging My Love
I Got A Woman
My Babe
Fever
Boss Man (aka "Big Boss Man")
Faded Love
Hound Dog
Such A Night
My Baby Left Me

In my opinion, not even ONE cover comes close to Elvis' versions but some of them are quite enjoyable. Love Conway's music though.

IIRC, there was a compilation released a few years ago, called "Conway Twitty Sings Elvis Favourites" or something like that...

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:17 pm

That album is CT Sings EP favorites and these 2 songs and Treat Me Nice were included in that album.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Jove wrote:That album is CT Sings EP favorites and these 2 songs and Treat Me Nice were included in that album.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Thank you, Jove, for finding this! :smt023

IMHO, Conway had much better recordings (some of them self-penned), mostly ballads, than these rather uninspired covers (from his pre-country era).

Like these:

Why Can't I Get Through To You
It's Only Make Believe
I'll Try
Will You Love Me Then, As You Love Me Now
When I'm Not With You
Heavenly
My One And Only You
I Need You So
Lonely Kind Of Love
Because You Love Me
Sorry
The Hurt In My Heart
Maybe Tomorrow We'll Know
What Am I Living For
A Fallen Star
I'd Still Play The Fool
Knock Three Times
What A Dream
Send Her To Me
The Next Kiss (Is The Last Goodbye)
A Tree In The Meadow
I'm In Blue, Blue Mood (with Roy Orbison)
Donna's Dream
Tower Of Tears
I Can Hear My Heart Break
Turn Around
Portrait Of A Fool
There Is Something On Your Mind
A Little Piece Of My Heart
Lookin' Back
It's Too Late
I Almost Lost My Mind
City Lights
Ages And Ages Ago
I Hope, I Think, I Wish

and many more...

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Never heard his version before, thanks for posting it!

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:24 pm

Here's Conway's rendition of "Hound Dog" - hell, that's different!

Conway Twitty - Hound Dog (1963).wav (21.94MB)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5st7wg

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:15 pm

It's interesting how many of these artists from the 50's era...Conway Twitty, Bob Luman,etc...start out as Rockabilly artists (& emulating the Elvis sound), only to end up as being country artists after the mid 1960's.
Last edited by TCB-FAN on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:16 pm

I confess. I don't get it. I fail to see what the point is of covering a song if it is already a hit and you are doing nothing new with it, or even putting your own stamp on it. The whole idea just seems ridiculous. I'm not just having a go at Twitty here, for many others were just as guilty. For example, while Presley's Fools Rush in from 1971 is pleasant enough, it is pointless because it had already been done virtually note for note by Ricky Nelson. The same can be said for Spanish Eyes and She Wears My Ring - Elvis takes two hits and sings them. That's it. He adds no twists or turns on what has gone before.

I realise that artists didn't cross the atlantic as much in the 50s, hence why we know one song by two different artists. For example Americans will know My Special Angel through Bobby Helms, whereas us Brits would know it through Malcolm Vaughan. The same goes for the Tommy Steele/Guy Mitchell renditions of Singing The Blues. But quite what the point was of two people from the same country covering the same song in such a similar fashion is unfathomable to me. Bring something different to it, use a bit of imagination. If this was all Twitty could do with Treat Me Nice, then he shouldn't have bothered at all or just be done with it and become the first Elvis impersonator.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:20 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I confess. I don't get it. I fail to see what the point is of covering a song if it is already a hit and you are doing nothing new with it, or even putting your own stamp on it. The whole idea just seems ridiculous. I'm not just having a go at Twitty here, for many others were just as guilty. For example, while Presley's Fools Rush in from 1971 is pleasant enough, it is pointless because it had already been done virtually note for note by Ricky Nelson. The same can be said for Spanish Eyes and She Wears My Ring - Elvis takes two hits and sings them. That's it. He adds no twists or turns on what has gone before.

I realise that artists didn't cross the atlantic as much in the 50s, hence why we know one song by two different artists. For example Americans will know My Special Angel through Bobby Helms, whereas us Brits would know it through Malcolm Vaughan. The same goes for the Tommy Steele/Guy Mitchell renditions of Singing The Blues. But quite what the point was of two people from the same country covering the same song in such a similar fashion is unfathomable to me. Bring something different to it, use a bit of imagination. If this was all Twitty could do with Treat Me Nice, then he shouldn't have bothered at all or just be done with it and become the first Elvis impersonator.

Somehow I agree with you and Conway's Elvis covers are rather bad in my opinion (with the exception being "Hound Dog", which I posted before). Most the songs were just (album-)fillers.

True a lot of them folks "ended up" as country singers in the mid-60's because they couldn't score a big hit anymore. But some of them very successful.
I remember reading about Luman and Twitty that they started out as country acts but when Elvis came around, it changed their entire (musical) life.

As you might know Marty Robbins was the first one to record "Singing The Blues" and Guy Mitchell stole it and had the bigger success. The same happened again with "Knee Deep In The Blues".

I remember being really p***ed off by seeing all those cover versions from british artists on TIME LIFE compilations (sorry 'bout that).

Elvis already "stole" the complete arrangement of "I'm Comin' Home" in 1961 - I think Carl Mann sang the original version.