Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Frank Sinatra: I'm Not Afraid/Ballpark (grab em quick!)

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:10 am

Reprise era Sinatra material doesn't stay long on youtube, so having come across this on there would like to highlight it on these boards before it disappears. A great performance, one of my favourites. Written by Rod McKuen if I remember correctly - with an orchestration that reminds me of Ravel's La Valse!

phpBB [video]

and another reprise gem which has escaped the view of warner!

phpBB [video]

It rarely fails to make me cry!

Re: Frank Sinatra: I'm Not Afraid/Ballpark (grab em quick!)

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:09 am

I'm Not Afraid is a terrific Rod McKuen/Jaques Brel composition treated to a wonderful arrangement by Lennie Heyton. This was the b-side to Life's a Trippy Thing, and found a release on Sinatra's Greatest Hits Vol. 2, as oppossed to Sinatra & Company, where it would have fit well had one side of the album not been earmarked for the best of the second - unreleased -Jobim album, which required a platform. It's a fine recording . . .

Joe Raposo's There Used to be a Ball Park is a highlight of Sinatra's marvellous Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back -- rarely did Sinatra sing with such sentimentality, and this paean to fond memories was arranged beautifully by Gordon Jenkins, and sung with absolute sincerity by Sinatra, who conjours such vivid imagery with every lyric.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:21 am

greystoke wrote:I'm Not Afraid is a terrific Rod McKuen/Jaques Brel composition treated to a wonderful arrangement by Lennie Heyton. This was the b-side to Life's a Trippy Thing, and found a release on Sinatra's Greatest Hits Vol. 2, as oppossed to Sinatra & Company, where it would have fit well had one side of the album not been earmarked for the best of the second - unreleased -Jobim album, which required a platform. It's a fine recording . . .

Joe Raposo's There Used to be a Ball Park is a highlight of Sinatra's marvellous Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back -- rarely did Sinatra sing with such sentimentality, and this paean to fond memories was arranged beautifully by Gordon Jenkins, and sung with absolute sincerity by Sinatra, who conjours such vivid imagery with every lyric.

Agreed on both counts. It is songs such as I'm Not Afraid, the 1970 Something, Forget To Remember, The Game Is Over, Just As Though You Were Here and others from the Reprise period for which a 3 or 4 disc set of Sinatra rarities/singles/b-sides is long overdue.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Such a project would surely make for interesting listening, as there are numerous gems from the era that are lesser-known. Still, kudos to Warner Bros./Reprise for thinking outside of the box, and including album-tracks and alternate takes on more than a few of their commercially-geared compilations, e.g. Teach Me Tonight, All the Way Home and an alternate take of My Funny Valentine on Seduction: Sinatra Sings of Love.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:09 pm

All The Way Home is another beautiful, almost forgotten, track. I'm sure a 4 CD set of forgotten/"lost" Sinatra recordings would sell very well - especially if they threw in some extra raritites such as the first version (still unreleased) of The Saddest Thing Of All, the rehearsal of Evergreen and various officially unreleased "new" songs from concerts.

The compilation from the 1990s, Everything Happens To Me, was certainly outside of the box and far from anything approaching a greatest hits collection. If only BMG had the same imagination!

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:32 pm

poormadpeter wrote:All The Way Home is another beautiful, almost forgotten, track. I'm sure a 4 CD set of forgotten/"lost" Sinatra recordings would sell very well - especially if they threw in some extra raritites such as the first version (still unreleased) of The Saddest Thing Of All, the rehearsal of Evergreen and various officially unreleased "new" songs from concerts.

The compilation from the 1990s, Everything Happens To Me, was certainly outside of the box and far from anything approaching a greatest hits collection. If only BMG had the same imagination!

I very much like Everything Happens to Me, and play it often -- the cover is wonderful, Frank's liner notes are delightful and the tracks are said to have been chosen personally by him. And with the average Sinatra release performing rather well, both sales and charts-wise, those in care of his recorded legacy frequently require applauding.

Highly recommended . . .

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:12 pm

I don't care what anyone says, Sinatra's Reprise output is his absolute best.

His voice just took on a depth and maturity in the later years that really made lyrics come to life. Thanks for posting.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:39 pm

KingOfTheJungle wrote:I don't care what anyone says, Sinatra's Reprise output is his absolute best.

His voice just took on a depth and maturity in the later years that really made lyrics come to life. Thanks for posting.

Sinatra's Reprise output was absolutely excellent, no doubt about that . . . And his progression from Harry James, to Dorsey, Columbia, Capitol and Reprise makes for a career arc broad and wide.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:19 pm

I am so glad for this section of the board. It's a nice place to go to get a refreshing dose of sanity before taking a deep breath and going back to the other sections!

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:53 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I am so glad for this section of the board. It's a nice place to go to get a refreshing dose of sanity before taking a deep breath and going back to the other sections!

Your full of yourself...what you really mean to say is back to the elvis presley site that is for fans??? i am sure their is afew ratpack sites left out there that you could join

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:20 pm

rizzy56 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I am so glad for this section of the board. It's a nice place to go to get a refreshing dose of sanity before taking a deep breath and going back to the other sections!

Your full of yourself...what you really mean to say is back to the elvis presley site that is for fans??? i am sure their is afew ratpack sites left out there that you could join

On the contrary. The Elvis section is simply frustrating because it contains a number of people who only see the man and his music through rose-tinted glasses and believe that everything he did was wonderful. Moreover, a suggestion that their views (and facts) might be flawed is shouted down at the first opportunity, with little or no willingness to listen to other people's somewhat more rational views on certain topics.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:53 pm

That's what this part of the site is intended for......a place where we can discuss artists other than Elvis.

Glad you like it!