Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Doris Day: My Heart...

Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:29 pm

is riding high on the UK charts - currently #6 on the amazon bestseller list, but thought to be about #8 on the offcial album charts at this stage in the week. It's thought that this will be the first top 10 non-compilation album of her career to make the top ten in the UK album charts. At 87 years old.

Re: Doris Day: My Heart...

Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:29 pm

I haven't seen any promotion for this CD -- I was in HMV on Monday and forgot that it was on release, although I seen nothing directing me towards this whilst perusing various sections of their music department. Still, I'm glad it's doing so well and intend to pick up a copy next week.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:41 pm

greystoke wrote:I haven't seen any promotion for this CD -- I was in HMV on Monday and forgot that it was on release, although I seen nothing directing me towards this whilst perusing various sections of their music department. Still, I'm glad it's doing so well and intend to pick up a copy next week.

There was a half page advert in the radio times, which was quite a shock - plus three programmes about Doris (including the laughably awful 1971 TV special) on BBC4 tonight. It's just inside the door with the new releases at the main Norwich HMV store, but I'm guessing each store is different.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:40 pm

I bought my copy today and it's odd how Day sounds no older in the 1980s than she did in the 1950s. This is the only track on youtube from the album. I hope I sound this good in my 60s:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/temptagetemptage#p/a/u/2/okpiK3hKjgA[/youtube]

Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:50 pm

I missed those specials last night -- didn't even know they were on. The irony is, that I was watching West Point Story . . .

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:16 pm

You missed Doris! On her bike singing ob la di ob la da! The Tv special is pretty awful (in fact that's quite an understatement!), and bear in mind that this sequence with perry como is probably the highlight. But once they start on the Jobim medley, you kind of wish Como wasn't there and Sinatra was there instead, for both he and Day were exemplary interpreters of the bossa nova, and together they would have made TV history:

phpBB [video]

Her album latin for lovers is a delight:

phpBB [video]

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:28 pm

poormadpeter wrote:You missed Doris! On her bike singing ob la di ob la da! The Tv special is pretty awful (in fact that's quite an understatement!), and bear in mind that this sequence with perry como is probably the highlight. But once they start on the Jobim medley, you kind of wish Como wasn't there and Sinatra was there instead, for both he and Day were exemplary interpreters of the bossa nova, and together they would have made TV history:

phpBB [video]

Her album latin for lovers is a delight:

phpBB [video]

I saw it years ago -- and would like to see it again. I think it was BBC4 last night, so a repeat is surely on the cards within the week. In fact, as I type I'm checking the listings, and it's repeated tomorrow.