Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

your favorite songs of Julio Iglesias

Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:47 pm

hello

post your favorite songs of Julio Iglesias :!:

i like this one . Solamente Una Vez . i dont know what it means though :?

phpBB [video]

Re: your favorite songs of Julio Iglesias

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Julio is still a truly wonderful singer and a superb entertainer . . . One of the best, IMO.

Here's a terrific version of Cole Porter's Begin the Beguine, sung at the Variety Clubs' All-Star Party for Frank Sinatra on November 20th, 1983.

phpBB [video]

Frank Sinatra and Julio, Summerwind -- one of the best recordings from Sinatra's 1993 Duets album.

phpBB [video]

Willie Nelson and Julio, To All the Girls I've Loved Before -- a classic; wonderfully sung and a wee bit tongue in cheek, but lovely . . . From Julio's 1984 album, 1100 Bel Air Place, this was a big hit the world over. This performance is from the CMA Awards, where Willie and Julio won single of the year and were named "Duo of the Year."

phpBB [video]

Willie and Julio's duet of Spanish Eyes, from Willie's very charming 1988 album, What a Wonderful World -- produced by Chips Moman, incidentally . . .

phpBB [video]

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:43 pm

phpBB [video]

'HEY' in Italian.
It was in the charts when I met my husband, when I first moved here, and was playing everywhere. The lyrics are great in Italian.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:46 pm

tcb4 wrote:Solamente Una Vez . i dont know what it means though :?

Only once? (literally 'only one time')

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:30 pm

Both the albums 'Emociones' and 'Hey' were played a lot at home during the early 80's. My mom used to have them and there's one song I really like, which is 'Hey'. Never appreciated his songs sung in English, always preferred hearing his songs sung in Spanish, although I have absolutely no idea what he's singing about.
Last edited by Shakin48 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:05 pm

una vez = one time
solamente ? maybe it's a verb ...

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:07 pm

shakin 48 > what country are you from ?

Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:07 am

tcb4 wrote:shakin 48 > what country are you from ?

The Netherlands (Pays-Bas). Why ?

Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:56 am

Does Julio do a version of "My Boy"?

Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:04 am

Paul Simon's favourite Julio song:

phpBB [video]

A brilliant video, very funny at 0:28 when Paul interrupts the little girl's enthousiastic way of singing.

::rocks

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:17 am

When did Julio become a "classic artist?" Seriously, there should be "adult contemporary" and "oldies" subsections here. Some of artists showing up in this section do not belong in a "classic artists" section.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:36 pm

midnightx wrote:When did Julio become a "classic artist?" Seriously, there should be "adult contemporary" and "oldies" subsections here. Some of artists showing up in this section do not belong in a "classic artists" section.

Before Elvis there was nothing
After Elvis there was Julio Iglesias

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:00 am

midnightx wrote:When did Julio become a "classic artist?" Seriously, there should be "adult contemporary" and "oldies" subsections here. Some of artists showing up in this section do not belong in a "classic artists" section.

While I agree it's a stretch to label some of the artists found in here as "classic" (Julio Iglesias being one of them IMO, but not Bobby Darin :wink: ), this little section was intended to be a place for people to share the music they enjoy away from Elvis, whatever that may be.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:05 am

tcb4 wrote:una vez = one time
solamente ? maybe it's a verb ...

It is not a verb but an adverb

solamente= only

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:18 am

londonflash wrote:

While I agree it's a stretch to label some of the artists found in here as "classic" (Julio Iglesias being one of them IMO, but not Bobby Darin :wink: ), this little section was intended to be a place for people to share the music they enjoy away from Elvis, whatever that may be.

Then this section should be renamed to "Other Artists." There are a lot of questionable artists ending up in the "Classic Artists" section.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:59 am

Iglesias has sold over 300 million records worldwide in 17 languages plus over 70 albums. Has always had a unique sound. IMO one does not have to be in the rock,blues or jazz field to be a classic artist. Or sing only in english.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julio_Iglesias

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:37 pm

Juan Luis wrote:Iglesias has sold over 300 million records worldwide in 17 languages plus over 70 albums. Has always had a unique sound. IMO one does not have to be in the rock,blues or jazz field to be a classic artist. Or sing only in english.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julio_Iglesias

I agree. Some people like Julio Iglesias , some like Jeff Buckley. They are both "classic" artists to the people who like them, which in the end is all that matters.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:51 am

Val wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Iglesias has sold over 300 million records worldwide in 17 languages plus over 70 albums. Has always had a unique sound. IMO one does not have to be in the rock,blues or jazz field to be a classic artist. Or sing only in english.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julio_Iglesias

I agree. Some people like Julio Iglesias , some like Jeff Buckley. They are both "classic" artists to the people who like them, which in the end is all that matters.

:roll:

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:30 pm

midnightx :arrow: please, give us your definition of a classic artist !

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:08 am

All I know, is that I won't be shocked if a Sergio Mendes thread pops up here.

People looking into this forum must scratch their heads when they see what some of you enthusiastic Elvis fans consider as "classic artists."

Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:20 am

That's a ridiculous post, Midnight. Are we to now have a list from yourself of who you view as classic artists? It seems odd that the only time you posting this section of the board is to criticise other people's idea of a "classic artist", with nothing positive to add to an existing thread and never starting a new one for us to emerse ourselves in the beauty of those you yourself class as "classic". Once again, people's personal tastes are being attacked. If you don't actually use this section of the board, why does it matter to you either what it is called, or which artists are and are not featured?

Do I like Iglesias? No - but his son's rather tasty! Even so, I think someone who has sold 300 million records probably deserves a place in here. And, looking at the list of artists featured on these pages, i don't think many are non-classic: Bobby Darin,
The Beach Boys,
The Doors,
Bruce Springsteen,
Conway Twitty,
The Jam,
Duke Ellington,
Frank Sinatra,
Doris Day,
Tom Jones,
Buddy Holly,
The Jam,
Gene Vincent,
Mahalia Jackson,
Neil Diamond,
Rick Nelson,
Ray Charles,
The Beatles,
Clyde mcPhatter,
Gene Pitney,
Madonna,
CCR,
Bob Seger,
Jeff Buckley,
Fats Domino,

All of the above are on the front page alone. Add to that: Nilsson, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Bing Crosby, Louis Armstrong, Roy Hamilton, Dean Martin, Cliff Richard, Bob Dylan, Mark Knopfler, Canned Heat, Everley Brothers, Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, ACDC, Nancy Sinatra, Meatloaf, Aerosmith, The Monkees, Lonnie Donegan, The Shadows, B B King, Brenda Lee, The Hollies, Rolling Stones, The Byrds, Neil Young, Richie Valens, Pink Floyd, Jerry Lee Lewis, and the list goes on. Plus a handful of less classic artists who happen to have an Elvis connection - nothign wrong with that on an Elvis board, surely?

Which ones do you object to???

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:12 am

I think Julio Iglesias is a one hit wonder in the United States.

I don't know anything about his popularity in Spanish speaking countries but to have only one hit in a huge country like the U.S. calls into question the claim that he has sold 300 million records.

I give Julio credit for being as famous as he is with only one hit.

I always knew he was despite his lack of commercial success.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:52 am

poormadpeter wrote:That's a ridiculous post, Midnight. Are we to now have a list from yourself of who you view as classic artists? It seems odd that the only time you posting this section of the board is to criticise other people's idea of a "classic artist", with nothing positive to add to an existing thread and never starting a new one for us to emerse ourselves in the beauty of those you yourself class as "classic". Once again, people's personal tastes are being attacked.

Spot the contradiction.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:That's a ridiculous post, Midnight. Are we to now have a list from yourself of who you view as classic artists? It seems odd that the only time you posting this section of the board is to criticise other people's idea of a "classic artist", with nothing positive to add to an existing thread and never starting a new one for us to emerse ourselves in the beauty of those you yourself class as "classic". Once again, people's personal tastes are being attacked.

Spot the contradiction.

Not at all, my comment has nothing to do with MidnightX's tastes, but his idea of what does and does not class as a classic artist. Just as on the All Elvis section of the board, people are subjected to sarcastic and/or derogatory comments from both you and MidnightX because their viewpoint does not match your own, and in particular does not match your own musical hierarchy - in other other words: MOR/Easy Listening/Adult Contemporary = crap.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:32 pm

brian wrote:I think Julio Iglesias is a one hit wonder in the United States.

I don't know anything about his popularity in Spanish speaking countries but to have only one hit in a huge country like the U.S. calls into question the claim that he has sold 300 million records.

I give Julio credit for being as famous as he is with only one hit.

I always knew he was despite his lack of commercial success.

Considering there are more than twenty countries in the world where Spanish is the primary language, and numerous other Latino countries where Iglesias is hugely popular, e.g. countries boasting a populous of 20, 30, 40 or over 100 million people - not to mention 34 million Spanish-speaking people in North America - I don't find Julio's record sales questionable, nor would I say that he's had a "lack of commercial success." He's been tremendously successful in Europe and South America over the years, and although such may not translate greatly to the Billboard pop charts, he can boast more than a few platinum albums in North America.

Furthermore, Iglesias has recorded songs in over a dozen languages and can lay claim to having released almost 80 albums in his career . . . The former, affording him the potential of attracting international audiences not reached in the same way by your average North American pop star. And with Spanish being the third most widely spoken language in the world, English being second, and Iglesias having sang and recorded in both of these languages, not to mention Portugese and French, which are also among the most spoken languages on earth. one can easily appreciate how popular Julio Iglesias is.