Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Bruce Springsteen - Live At The Main Point

Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:24 pm

I want to let you know that there is a legal release of Bruce Springsteen's legendary show at 'The Main Point' from February 5, 1975. The soundquality is simply stunning. What a great performance from the Boss and his E-Street Band!

1. Intro (spoken by the great Ed Sciaky)
2. Incident on 57th Street (unusal rendition with violin)
3. Mountain of Love (originally done by Harold Dorman, later interpreted from Johnny Rivers and The Beach Boys)
4. Born to Run
5. The E Street Shuffle (including the famous spoken introduction meeting the Big Man)
6. Wings for Wheels (early rendition of 'Thunder Road', with little changes on the lyrics - Mary's name here is Angelina)
7. I Want You (cover from a song of Bob Dylan's almost unreal 'Blonde On Blonde' album)
8. Spirit in the Night
9. She's the One
10. Growin Up
11. Saint in the City
12. Jungleland (without the famous saxophon-solo, here done with violin-solo)

1. Kittys back
2. NYC Serenade
3. Rosalita
4. 4th of July (Sandy)
5. A Love so Fine/Shout (early version of 'So Young and in Love')
6. For You
7. Back in the USA (cover song from the great Chuck Berry)

The formidable sleevenotes are written by Andrew Muir, author from 'The Razor's Edge: Bob Dylan and the Never Ending Tour'.

Released on LEFTFIELD MEDIA in 2011.
If you don't have any of the bootleg releases - this one is the one you've got to get! Highly recommended!!

Joern

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Live At The Main Point

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:05 pm

I'm looking forward to this release -- I don't have the bootleg and have never heard anything from the concert itself, but the setlist is terrific and Springsteen was entering into his finest era as a live performer and recording artist. An essential purchase, it seems . . .

Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:10 pm

Put me down for one!

Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:56 pm

Leftfield Media is rolling the dice on this one. Pick it up while you can, because Bruce and Sony will ultimately shut it down.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:34 pm

Yes, do so while you can. I have the Labor of Love import copy of the show...its a classic.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:18 am

midnightx wrote:Leftfield Media is rolling the dice on this one. Pick it up while you can, because Bruce and Sony will ultimately shut it down.

You got that right .

We got confirmation of that from Dave Marsh on E Street Radio earlier this evening !

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:17 am

minkahed wrote:
midnightx wrote:Leftfield Media is rolling the dice on this one. Pick it up while you can, because Bruce and Sony will ultimately shut it down.

You got that right .

We got confirmation of that from Dave Marsh on E Street Radio earlier this evening !

Time for Bruce to start issuing some of his "legedary" shows from his archives. In this era, there is no reason why a bootlegger should even have the option of issuing this concert -- it should have been made officially available by Bruce years ago.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:58 am

midnightx wrote:
minkahed wrote:

You got that right .

Time for Bruce to start issuing some of his "legedary" shows from his archives. In this era, there is no reason why a bootlegger should even have the option of issuing this concert -- it should have been made officially available by Bruce years ago.

Don't be second guessin' Brucie you will hurt Docs feelings!

Scott Ray

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Joern wrote:I want to let you know that there is a legal release of Bruce Springsteen's legendary show at 'The Main Point' from February 5, 1975.

It's not a legal release, but it is a stunning show, the beginnings of what would become Bruce's breakthrough year. It's fascinating to hear "Born To Run" in the middle of a set, performed to an audience that has likely never heard it. In 2011, it's a part of rock 'n' roll lore -- one of the greatest singles of all time.

Bruce ends it cold, and exclaims to no one in particular, "Whoa. 'Born To Run.'" So frickin' cool.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joern wrote:I want to let you know that there is a legal release of Bruce Springsteen's legendary show at 'The Main Point' from February 5, 1975.

It's not a legal release, but it is a stunning show, the beginnings of what would become Bruce's breakthrough year. It's fascinating to hear "Born To Run" in the middle of a set, performed to an audience that has likely never heard it. In 2011, it's a part of rock 'n' roll lore -- one of the greatest singles of all time.

Bruce ends it cold, and exclaims to no one in particular, "Whoa. 'Born To Run.'" So frickin' cool.

So is this release recommended?

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:42 pm

So is this release recommended?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:14 pm

The 20 minute version of "New York City Serenade" is stunning and the encore of "Back in the USA" is hilarious when Bruce references his need for a daily ration of cheeseburgers.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:33 pm

I walked into a HMV a few days ago at a place called Bromley for those who know it. it's a fairly large sized town in London that is one of the main retail hubs in the area with a large high street full of shops and it's own large shopping mall. I guess you could say this HMV is the main music store for the area. I was just browsing through Elvis releases and couldn't find any of the Legacy Edition albums that have been issued recently. I asked the guy to check the stock room and their computer system, they have none in stock and he knows nothing about them. Same goes for the "Young Man" set. Yet under Springsteen, they are selling this 'illegal' release and it sits their on the shelves in front of all the other Springsteen CD's on the racks.

It's quite alarming that it's easier for folks to pick up a Bruce Springsteen bootleg cd at their main CD shop than the latest big Elvis release.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:47 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's not a legal release.

That is incorrect. This release exploits a loophole in UK copyright law relating to an exemption for overseas radio broadcasts.

Chris

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:26 am

ChrisM wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It's not a legal release.

That is incorrect. This release exploits a loophole in UK copyright law relating to an exemption for overseas radio broadcasts.

Chris

Do you for even a second imagine Bruce Springsteen or Columbia consider this a legitimate release?

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:33 am

Never had that problem here. I go to the music section of a local B&N and it's all on computer. {The shelves have an unpredictable grab bag.} Comes to the house in a couple days in most cases.

I use Heartland Music and Music Choice catalogs too. Shop Elvis is often slow. And the prices.

Sorry for the situation over there.

rjm

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Do you for even a second imagine Bruce Springsteen or Columbia consider this a legitimate release?

Yes - I imagine that they are aware it is legal under UK copyright law.

I also image Bob Dylan considers it legal, since the same label (Leftfield Media) released a radio broadcast by him as well over a year ago ("Folksinger's Choice") and that hasn't been challenged in the UK courts either.

Chris

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:47 am

ChrisM wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Do you for even a second imagine Bruce Springsteen or Columbia consider this a legitimate release?

I also image Bob Dylan considers it legal, since the same label (Leftfield Media) released a radio broadcast by him as well over a year ago ("Folksinger's Choice") and that hasn't been challenged in the UK courts either.

Chris

Bob is crazy: he knowingly flouts copyright laws ALL THE TIME in so many ways for all his life, but don't you dare YouTube him!

rjm

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:35 am

This label has taken advantage of the radio show loophole to release this and a bunch of titles legally in Europe. They are actually releasing two more Springsteen radio shows from 1973 next month on a CD titled "Bound for Glory."
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... B005SDDB9Q

bruce_springsteen_bound_for_glory.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:00 am

ChrisM wrote:

Neither Bruce Springsteen nor Columbia consider it a legitimate release, they only know they cannot challenge it legally. As, of course, you are well aware.

Be big next time you pop on by.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:24 am

The other issue that these "radio broadcast" releases aren't sourced from the master tapes.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:24 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's not a legal release

drjohncarpenter wrote:Neither Bruce Springsteen nor Columbia consider it a legitimate release, they only know they cannot challenge it legally.

le·git·i·mate /liˈjitəmit/
Adjective: Conforming to the law

???

Chris

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:10 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's not a legal release,

Therefore you are saying that it is an illegal release.

If you think that for one minute that mainstream music stores across the UK and Ireland would stock and display an illegal release, then you are quite mistaken.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Neither Bruce Springsteen nor Columbia consider it a legitimate release

Whether Springsteen and Landau don't recognise this release is irrelevent, as long as the law recognises this release as legal then thats all that matters.

Now next time, you drop by, be big enough to give your apology.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:23 pm

ChrisM wrote:le·git·i·mate /liˈjitəmit/
Adjective: Conforming to the law

???

Parsing words to bolster your argument is a losing proposition.

legitimate
—adj
1. born in lawful wedlock; enjoying full filial rights
2. conforming to established standards of usage, behaviour, etc
3. based on correct or acceptable principles of reasoning
4. reasonable, sensible, or valid: a legitimate question
5. authorized, sanctioned by, or in accordance with law

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/legitimate

Hope this helps.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:47 pm

memfisking wrote:Whether Springsteen and Landau don't recognise this release is irrelevent, as long as the law recognises this release as legal then thats all that matters.

Really? That is all that matters? The artist's position on how his work is released, or released at all, doesn't matter? The legalities of it is one thing; the artist's control over his work is another.