Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Bill Withers " Still Bill"

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Just got into Bill Withers in the last couple months...finished it off with viewing this wonderful documentary on the man. It's an incredibly interesting look at an artist who completely left the business and never looked back but still yearns to create new music.

Anyone else see it?

phpBB [video]

Re: Bill Withers " Still Bill"

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:14 pm

I haven't seen it, and can't say I'm particularly well-versed in his career and life. But I'm certainly aware of his better-known recordings, Ain't No Sunshine, Just the Two of Us, Lovely Day etc.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Funny you say that Greystroke since your post is reflected strongly in the documentary as Withers addresses the fact that many people have forgotten about him or are not aware of him today.

He's had a fascinating career....he sort of got into the music business late in the game, at age 32, he got laid off from a job building toilets for aircrafts...picked up the guitar, recorded a few demos, shopped them around and immediately got a hit with "Ain't no Sunshine" and then BAM...the string of hits and success followed practically overnight. He struggled to keep his music and image grounded in what he felt comfortable with. He eventually tired of the entire business and walked away from it in 1985.

The documentary explores Withers' current state, where he is now, how he feels about his past career and his troubles to continue growing as an artist, at 70.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:38 pm

I'll keep an eye out for it -- the BBC is good for music documentaries.

Ain't No Sunshine is certainly a much-covered song -- aspiring pop stars and veterans of the business seem to like it's structure, hook and the repeated ''I know . . . '' towards the end.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:06 pm

greystoke wrote:I'll keep an eye out for it -- the BBC is good for music documentaries.

Ain't No Sunshine is certainly a much-covered song -- aspiring pop stars and veterans of the business seem to like it's structure, hook and the repeated ''I know . . . '' towards the end.

It's rumoured Elvis reheased the song for possible inclusion in his upcoming Jan-Feb Las Vegas 1972 engagement, where he practically revamped his setlist.