Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

The Beatles - That Means a Lot (True Stereo)

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:21 pm

What do others think ? I must say i prefer the George Martin mono mix which gave it some oomph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsGj32Vp ... grec_index

From Leonardo the uploader -

That Means A Lot is a Lennon-McCartney song recorded for the album (and film) Help! but later threw away by The Beatles. When they decided not to release it, they gave it to P.J. Proby, who had a minor hit with his version. The original Beatles version was only released 31 years later, on the Anthology Vol.2 album. But, unfortunally, in spite of the original 4-track session tape and a stereo remix made by Norman Smith exist in the EMI vaults, George Martin decided to release a weird mono mix (actually a fake-stereo mix) with lots of reverb (similar to the I Feel Fine and She's A Woman american mono mixes), the same mix that was prepared by Geoff Emmerick for the unreleased album Sessions. To make things more difficult to understand, in the Anthology DVD, there's one sequence when Paul is speaking where a true stereo mix of this song is played as ambient music. So the question: if EMI has the original 4-track of That Means A Lot, why they chose to release such a bad sound mix on CD? God only knows...Well, the mix presented in this video was created by the engineer John Barrett in the early 80's, when he was working on the material for the Abbey Road Show 1983. As the sound comes from a cassette tape, the fidelity is not the same as a master tape, but I made some EQ to enhance the sound as much as possible. I think it's the next best thing to a stereo mix of That Means A Lot taken from the original master tape. Hope you like it! Regards, Leonardo Conde, Brasil.

Re: The Beatles - That Means a Lot (True Stereo)

Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Thanks, Robt.

I do like this track, but the Beatles were soon to move past this sort of material.

Has this stereo version been released anywhere unofficially?

Re: The Beatles - That Means a Lot (True Stereo)

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:43 am

Not that i'm aware of. Are you in Italy ? Are you going to sample some italian foods and focacio bread :lol: