Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

In celebration of Doris Day's new album!

Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:35 am

Good old Doris. Finally a new album with nine previously unreleased recordings from the otherwise unheard 1986 sessions, recorded some 18 years after the singer retired from making records. And, while her voice appears a little more husky in these later sessions, she sounds in good form and these new songs will no doubt make a nice addition to her wonderful catalogue. While we wait the final month until the CD release, here are some favourites from the back catalogue:

Starting off with a song from the classic jazz album "Duet" with Andre Previn Trio.
phpBB [video]

The Way We Were, recorded for her 1975 TV Special (which was pretty awful, but you can't win 'em all):
phpBB [video]

A scene (including I'll Never Stop Loving You) from what is for me Day's finest hour on film, Love Me Or Leave Me
phpBB [video]

and with lyrics which include "pansies and rough guys", "queer romance" and "come on big boy", I have to include Ten Cents a Dance from the same film!
phpBB [video]

A remarkable lady and a remarkable, if often overlooked, singer of the great American Songbook

Re: In celebration of Doris Day's new album!

Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:38 am

So the 2011 release contains tracks from the vaults, and no new recordings?

Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:So the 2011 release contains tracks from the vaults, and no new recordings?

9 previously unreleased and 3 old ones. The album was due for release last year with all new material, but then it got delayed and changed slightly. I don't know why. But 75% new material make it worthwhile - and songs include Daydream by the Loving Spoonful and You Are So Beautiful.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:03 pm

Doris truly was a wonderful singer, whose tone of voice was as lilting as they come, but could also be fiery and bold, as per Ten Cents a Dance in the superb Love Me or Leave Me. A film I'm in agreement as being her best . . . Cagney was brilliant here also, and I'm also fond of the lesser West Point Story in which they both starred a few years prior.

As a vocalist, Day's early radio performances of the 1940s are a delight -- I'm particularly fond of her radio broadcasts with Frank Sinatra on Your Hit Parade. Their voices were a dream together, and it was almost inevitable that they would appear together on the big screen. And if Young at Heart epitomised Day's persona of sparking optimism, then it certainly done as much for Sinatra's romantic loner, whose Barney Sloan's pessimism was in stark contrast to Day from the moment he appeared on screen.

She was also exceptionally good in Calamity Jane, and with ample opportunity to sing throught the film and for Day to record for the movie an Oscar-winning song in Secret Love. And her musical talents were usually put to good use, no matter the type of film in which she acted -- even in Hitchcock's second version of The Man Who Knew Too Much, in which Day sang another Oscar-winning song in Que Sera, Sera.