Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Andre Rieu and His Orchestra, My Way

Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:05 pm

Performed at New York's Radio City Music Hall as a tribute to Frank Sinatra, this is a gorgeous piece of music from one of the world's great musicians and finest orchestras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXkR23N6YO8

Re: Andre Rieu and His Orchestra, My Way

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:26 am

my folks are big fans. It's one of the few things Mum can put on the telly which will actually give dad some enjoyment these days, as he's ill - but for smoe reason, Mr Rieu whisks him away to another place entirely. There was a season of concerts on cable over here a year or so ago, which I recorded for Mum and Dad. Each week I found myself watching a bit more of each concert before handing them over.

It's really not my thing under ordinary circumstances, but there is something infectious about the whole set up and the party atmosphere which seems to envelope each concert (I thought this was falsified in some way at first, but I really don't think it is). Rieu himself is an extraordinarily charismatic man - and despite the neverending accusations of "dumbing down" serious music, he is a fine musician and entertainer and, ironically, one who has introduced such music to millions.

He undoubtedly gives pleasure to his millions of followers from all around the world and (here goes my street cred!) long may he continue to do so!

(I did catch his version of "Ben" when his shows were on TV, and it was sublime).

Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:35 pm

Your street-cred automatically goes up by ten points through merely discussing classical music, let alone listening to it . . .

I would like to see Rieu conduct the Vienna Philharmonic on their annual New Year's day concert -- it's a wonderful event and the audience participation here is infectious, with great conductors such a Georges Prëtre and Daniel Barenboim proving to be fine entertainers as well as being world-class conductors. Their charisma raises an orchestra and is lapped-up by audiences -- to see them conduct one of the world's premier orchestras in person would be a joy. Rieu is cut from a similar cloth and, yes, long may he continue.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:21 pm

It's also worth saying that the Australian soprano who guests in some of the shows also does some really stunning work with him. I can do without those three tenors he wheels out with regularity - they remind me of the comic trio in Double Trouble!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:09 am

Yes - Andre Rieu is awesome. I have many of his DVD's and never tire of his enthusiasm and passion for creating memorable concerts and TV specials.

At one point here in Australia he had 8 dvd's in the top ten "Aria" dvd charts! I think in the last 4 years he has had around 7 dvd's to hit #1.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:43 am

greystoke wrote:Your street-cred automatically goes up by ten points through merely discussing classical music, let alone listening to it . . .

I would like to see Rieu conduct the Vienna Philharmonic on their annual New Year's day concert -- it's a wonderful event and the audience participation here is infectious, with great conductors such a Georges Prëtre and Daniel Barenboim proving to be fine entertainers as well as being world-class conductors. Their charisma raises an orchestra and is lapped-up by audiences -- to see them conduct one of the world's premier orchestras in person would be a joy. Rieu is cut from a similar cloth and, yes, long may he continue.

Nice to see Elvis Presley fans who appreciate Classical music.

I am not ashamed to say that I am a huge fan of Andre Rieu and Classical music in general. His popularity worldwide is astounding and I have been lucky to meet him several times. A really nice man. He is so incredibly passionate about music he almost has tears in his eyes when he talks about his career!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:20 pm

I would certainly like to see him conduct in person -- on a side note, however, I just purchased the 2009 Vienna Philharmonic New Year's Day concert, conducted by the great Daniel Barenboim, on Blu-ray . . .