Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

The Beach Boys - I Know There is an Answer (1966)

Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:37 pm

Great to hear this one and in STEREO medium (which i only heard it in mono before).

A track from the influential and classic Pet Sounds album. What do others think of "I Know There is an Answer" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpAdF48H ... re=related

Re: The Beach Boys - I Know There is an Answer (1966)

Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:05 am

It's a cool tune. I always am fascinated at the strange sound that emerges from the piano and organ combination at the intro.
Also it shows just how much Al and Brian sounded alike. Al is singing part of the verses (e.g. "they isolate their heads and stay in their safety zone") and Brian does the chorus. Mike also sounds fantastic on this one.
And it might be the first time that anybody had a bassharmonica solo in rock'n'roll

Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:12 am

intheghetto wrote:One of my all time favorite LPs. I just recently got the box set with the stereo mixes. I remember hearing about the stereo mixes as being part of the box set on it's release in 1996, but what I didn't realize that they were mixed for the box set's release. Sounds amazing in stereo. I owned a copy of the 'Duophonic for Stereo' LP, but it sounded lame. Sounded like the RCA reprocessed for stereo stuff.

There's an alternate version of "I Know There's An Answer" called "Hang On To Your Ego" on the mono CD.

Thanks. I don't know what you mean by the Beach Boys boxed set. I wasn't aware of it. So the stereo mixes for "Pet Sounds" was reconstructed in 1996 as part of the package, is that right? What was the box called?

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:51 pm

Robt wrote:
intheghetto wrote:One of my all time favorite LPs. I just recently got the box set with the stereo mixes. I remember hearing about the stereo mixes as being part of the box set on it's release in 1996, but what I didn't realize that they were mixed for the box set's release. Sounds amazing in stereo. I owned a copy of the 'Duophonic for Stereo' LP, but it sounded lame. Sounded like the RCA reprocessed for stereo stuff.

There's an alternate version of "I Know There's An Answer" called "Hang On To Your Ego" on the mono CD.

Thanks. I don't know what you mean by the Beach Boys boxed set. I wasn't aware of it. So the stereo mixes for "Pet Sounds" was reconstructed in 1996 as part of the package, is that right? What was the box called?

There are two Beach Boys Boxsets:

1993 - 30 years of Good Vibrations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Vibrations:_Thirty_Years_of_The_Beach_Boys

1997 - The Pet Sounds sessions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pet_Sounds_Sessions

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Love the song.
Love the album.

The whole album is pure joy to listen to.
I bought 'Smile' when Brian released it with his new band a few years back. I only wish it had been completed with the Beach Boys, it's another beautiful album (if a bit odd in places!).

Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Rocker wrote:
Robt wrote:

There are two Beach Boys Boxsets:

1993 - 30 years of Good Vibrations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Vibrations:_Thirty_Years_of_The_Beach_Boys

1997 - The Pet Sounds sessions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pet_Sounds_Sessions

Both well-worth having.

I also downloaded some Beach Boys bootlegs a while back and there were hours and hours of outtakes from Pet Sounds, backing tracks, vocal overdubs, alternate masters, the works.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:50 am

Wow that's interesting stuff. Thanks Friends :smt006 So the instrumentals on YT of "Here Today" "God Only Knows" and "Wouldn't it be Nice" is from the Pet Sounds box set and also some boots. Is that right?

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:56 am

Robt wrote:Great to hear this one and in STEREO medium (which i only heard it in mono before).

A track from the influential and classic Pet Sounds album. What do others think of "I Know There is an Answer" ?

I thinnk you need to pay more attention to said "influential and classic" album.

The song is titled, "I Know There's An Answer."

And Brian sings it exactly that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Know_There's_an_Answer

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robt wrote:Great to hear this one and in STEREO medium (which i only heard it in mono before).

I thinnk you need to pay more attention to said "influential and classic" album.

The song is titled, "I Know There's An Answer."

And Brian sings it exactly that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Know_There's_an_Answer

Could you possibly nit-pick a user's post any more? Was there actually any point to your correction of an apostrophe? Do you have something constructive to add to this section of the board?

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:27 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Could you possibly nit-pick a user's post any more? Was there actually any point to your correction of an apostrophe? Do you have something constructive to add to this section of the board?

Is everything OK at home?

It's not nit-picking, my observation is very constructive, it's a salient point.

The meter is different, not to mention the meaning, if this famous song is performed as "I know there is an answer." Which, of course, was never a part of this classic 1966 recording. Or, at least not until this FECC topic.

But, since your response is one who is so very upset, please review the examples below. Maybe they will help you. Run them through your mind, allow thought to process, and let us know your thoughts.

In his classic 1956-57 recordings, does Elvis Presley sing:

"I got a woman" or "I've got a woman"?

"So glad you're mine" or "So glad you are mine"?

"Don't be cruel" or "Do not be cruel'?

"That's when your heartaches bBegin" or "That is when your heartaches begin"?

"Baby, I don't care" or "Baby, I do not care"?

"Don't" or "Do not"?

That's an even half-dozen. Get thinkiin'!

::rocks

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Could you possibly nit-pick a user's post any more? Was there actually any point to your correction of an apostrophe? Do you have something constructive to add to this section of the board?

Is everything OK at home?

It's not nit-picking, my observation is very constructive, it's a salient point.

The meter is different, not to mention the meaning, if this famous song is performed as "I know there is an answer." Which, of course, was never a part of this classic 1966 recording. Or, at least not until this FECC topic.

But, since your response is one who is so very upset, please review the examples below. Maybe they will help you. Run them through your mind, allow thought to process, and let us know your thoughts.

In his classic 1956-57 recordings, does Elvis Presley sing:

"I Got A Woman" or "I've got a woman"?

"So glad you're mine" or "So glad you are mine"?

"Don't be cruel" or "Do not be cruel'?

"That's When Your Heartaches Begin" or "That Is When Your Heartaches Begin"?

"Baby, I Don't Care" or "Baby, I Do Not Care"?

"Don't" or "Do not"?

That's an even half-dozen. Get thinkiin'!

::rocks

:D :D :D :D :D :D

There's an alternate version of "I Know There's An Answer" called "Hang On To Your Ego"

'nuff said.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:31 pm

It appears my point just blew your ass right out of the water.

Feel free to issue your apology right here, right now.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It appears my point just blew your ass right out of the water.

Feel free to issue your apology right here, right now.

Doc, the day I issue an apology to you, hell will freeze over - and I'm sure the reverse is true.

Your title correction added nothing to the thread whatsoever - neither was it intended to be helpfil. it was simply being pedantic. All your comment did (and was clearly intended to do) was demonstrate your "superior knowledge".

Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:45 am

Although it may seem the Doc is nit-picking, he is making a very valid point.

Once again, just take a look at Elvis' songs. From his first ever record, to the last ever recording he made in a professional studio-type setting:

"That's All Right" - not "That Is All Right"

"He'll Have to Go" - not "He Will Have to Go"

Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:52 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:Although it may seem the Doc is nit-picking, he is making a very valid point.

Once again, just take a look at Elvis' songs. From his first ever record, to the last ever recording he made in a professional studio-type setting:

Not really. Everyone who read the post knew what song was being referred to - considering the amount of typos/errors we all make on here, one more wasn't ever going to send the board into meltdown. The Doc could have corrected the song title without his usual sarcasm.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:32 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:Although it may seem the Doc is nit-picking, he is making a very valid point.

Thank you.

It is clear the confusion by the poster on this topic is beyond a mere "typo," thus my initial observation.

A great song deserves respect in my book.