Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Rare Ella Fitzgerald: Up To Me and You

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:46 pm

While I was just posing the Nina Simone thread I thought of this rarely heard Ella song, which she wrote and recorded following the death of Martin Luther King. As far as I'm aware, it's her only attempt at a protest song. It wasn't on youtube, so have uploaded it myself.

phpBB [video]

Re: Rare Ella Fitzgerald: Up To Me and You

Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:45 pm

I believe this was her only attempt at a protest song -- at least one with any weight and gravitas; it's quite a powerful piece of music.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:22 pm

and, like the reprise singles and the pablo singles, still not on CD :(

Pablo single:
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Reprise single:
phpBB [video]

Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:41 pm

There's a lot of interesting Sinatra material not yet on CD, either . . . And such can be bemusing and a touch annoying, especially when there is an outlet.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:01 pm

yes, there's 3 Cds worth from the 20CD reprise box which has not been available since. I picked up the Sinatra:Vegas box this week for a mere £25 which was a bargain! And it's much better than the New York one which came out a year or two later!

Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:03 pm

Sinatra: Vegas is outstanding -- New York is also good, but Vegas is the best of the two, IMO . . . I hope for a third volume.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:33 pm

We will have to wait a while I think. The next release is simply the Complete Sinatra/Basie recordings on Reprise. In other words, the two albums on one CD. No outtakes. There are certainly more concerts in need of official release - not least the superb White House concert of 1973 (and the one from 1982 with Perry Como is not half bad either!)

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:50 pm

It's a pity those double albums - Sinatra/Jobim & Sinatra/Basie - are sans any outtakes, but the former was wonderful all the same -- especially when it came to getting all of the Sinatra/Jobim recordings on one disc. Both Sinatra's studio albums with Basie were superb, however . . . and this will be a terrific compilation in that respect. And I love the cover image!!!