Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Jeff Buckley

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:48 am

One of the people I expected to see highlighted in this section was Jeff Buckley, who was one of the most talented of singer/songwriters of the 90s. I don't pretend to know much about Buckley, but I have his two studio albums and the various posthumous concert releases. His concert performance I find tread a thin line between genius and being totally over the top - something I think he shared with one of his own idols, Nina Simone. For me, the live at Sin-e double CD finds him at his best. But the great thing about Buckley for me is his range of material and the performers of whose material he did covers - from Judy Garland to Bob Dylan.

These are some of my favourite covers by Buckley, starting with him singing....opera. Such a shame about the recording quality, but this is remarkable for the sheer audacity of performing an aria from a Purcell opera at a rock festival and for the fact that he pulls it off perfectly. For those of you that are impatient, skip the recitative which takes up the 1st minute.
phpBB [video]

For some reason this recording is one I find very moving. It's a version of Mama You've Been on My Mind:
phpBB [video]

Perhaps my favourite is his version of this Edith Piaf song.
phpBB [video]

Finally, a cover of a beautiful Nina Simone song, called If You Knew
phpBB [video]

And, just for the hell of it, Nina Simone singing the song from a gig at Ronnie Scott's in 1984. Simone's vocal abilities seemed to leave quite shortly after this engagement, although she still had some great performances left. But the decline by the time of thw Montreaux footage from a couple of years later and the awful "Let It be Me" album from 1987 is really quite shocking and sad. Perhaps I'll do a Simone thread a bit later.
phpBB [video]

Re: Jeff Buckley

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:09 am

poormadpeter wrote:One of the people I expected to see highlighted in this section was Jeff Buckley...

There is no time with all the Bobby Darrin and Cliff Richard threads to get through. What a "classic artists" section.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:50 pm

midnightx wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:One of the people I expected to see highlighted in this section was Jeff Buckley...

There is no time with all the Bobby Darrin and Cliff Richard threads to get through. What a "classic artists" section.

while actually finding some pleasure in a lot of the performances I've seen/heard of Darin, I do agree with your fascination of Buckley. Got his debut when it came out, and to this day I have not heard an artist affecting me quite the same way. I also share his (and your?) fondness for Nina Simone. Always good to know there's other Elvis fans who find pleasure in other great talent.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:36 pm

Eivind wrote:
midnightx wrote:

while actually finding some pleasure in a lot of the performances I've seen/heard of Darin, I do agree with your fascination of Buckley. Got his debut when it came out, and to this day I have not heard an artist affecting me quite the same way. I also share his (and your?) fondness for Nina Simone. Always good to know there's other Elvis fans who find pleasure in other great talent.

I don't have a fascination with Buckley.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:22 am

midnightx wrote:
Eivind wrote:
midnightx wrote:

I don't have a fascination with Buckley.

Well, my post was not really adressed to you, but to the original poster, even though I've seen you think outside of the box as well.Not fascinated with Buckley? I can live with that.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:40 pm

I saw him two years before he died in a concert in Germany. It was absolutely marvelous! The Leonard Cohen cover "Hallelujah" was something I'll never forget - what an incredible voice! And what a tragedy that he died so young. His debut album called "Grace" isn't just an album, it's a revelation!

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Joern wrote:I saw him two years before he died in a concert in Germany. It was absolutely marvelous! The Leonard Cohen cover "Hallelujah" was something I'll never forget - what an incredible voice! And what a tragedy that he died so young. His debut album called "Grace" isn't just an album, it's a revelation!

Indeed. Although I have to say I don't feel the same way about Sketches for My Sweetheart, which I have never really got to grips with. For me Grace and the Sin'e recordings stand head and shoulders over the second studio album (although it was obviously never completed)