Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Psychedelic Bobby Darin

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:07 am

Here's a delicious slice of psychedelia from our versatile hero:

phpBB [video]

Re: Psychedelic Bobby Darin

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:31 am

It's a very strange song. There seems to be nothing on record from those who knew him and Darin and drugs, but the two Direction albums make a fair amount of references to cannabis. One of the singles from Commitment, Jive, does (staring at the sun, I've been stoned since half past one). Water Colour Canvas includes the lyrics "we were frying pans of coffee, cos the only pot we had would not oblige". They could be talking about coffee pots but I don't think so. A cop tries to buy some hash off Darin in "Me and Mr Hohner", so I have a feeling that Mr D was being aided in his relaxation out in Big Sur! ;)

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Cool 60s tune

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:11 pm

poormadpeter wrote:It's a very strange song. There seems to be nothing on record from those who knew him and Darin and drugs, but the two Direction albums make a fair amount of references to cannabis. One of the singles from Commitment, Jive, does (staring at the sun, I've been stoned since half past one). Water Colour Canvas includes the lyrics "we were frying pans of coffee, cos the only pot we had would not oblige". They could be talking about coffee pots but I don't think so. A cop tries to buy some hash off Darin in "Me and Mr Hohner", so I have a feeling that Mr D was being aided in his relaxation out in Big Sur! ;)

Probably stoned but doesnt really matter,the music was cool

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:36 pm

My honest opinon is that he WASN'T using those kind of drugs, but simply jumping on the drug culture bandwagon musically. He was at a point where he was trying different styles, and psychedelia was popular at the time, so why not?

The Troggs were doing the same at the time. I remember a particularly funny interview with reg Presley who said "Band of butterflies twice their normal size - Flying around in my mind ..... I wrote that on a cup of tea!" LOL

Either way, The Big Sur was an interesting period and this particular track is one of my favourites of the genre.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:01 pm

I'm not sure he ever jumped on a bandwagon, certainly not to make money from it. On the other hand, if he heard something and liked it then he was more than happy to give it a whirl. But remember he viewed the Direction material as intensely personal to him, and writing about something he hadn't experienced was something I don't think he would have done. Either way, he created some fascinating material during those few years.

I find "Sunday", which follows "I Can See The Wind" on the original album, an extremely powerful message about where organised religion had found itself. And "Sausalito" on Commitment marries a beautiful melody with possibly the first Anti-Reagan song to be written. Both "Simple Song of Freedom" and particularly "Maybe We Can Get It Together" (great arrangement) may sound a little twee today, but their honesty and passion never fails to give me a lump in my throat.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:04 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I'm not sure he ever jumped on a bandwagon, certainly not to make money from it. On the other hand, if he heard something and liked it then he was more than happy to give it a whirl. But remember he viewed the Direction material as intensely personal to him, and writing about something he hadn't experienced was something I don't think he would have done. Either way, he created some fascinating material during those few years.

I find "Sunday", which follows "I Can See The Wind" on the original album, an extremely powerful message about where organised religion had found itself. And "Sausalito" on Commitment marries a beautiful melody with possibly the first Anti-Reagan song to be written. Both "Simple Song of Freedom" and particularly "Maybe We Can Get It Together" (great arrangement) may sound a little twee today, but their honesty and passion never fails to give me a lump in my throat.

There's nothing twee about any of this material. And I'll join you with the lump. The guy was incredible.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:20 am

I was of course referring to the lyrics of Simple Song and Maybe we can get it together, and that fact that they could be viewed as naive and, perhaps, even a little innocent. That's certainly the comments I've had on occasion when I've played them to people or sung them myself at a gig. Personally, I love em!

Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:08 pm

Reminds me a little of Nick Drake.