Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Frank Sinatra: Old Man River, 1946 and 1967

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Two extraordinary performances of this classic song -- the first, from the movie, Till the Clouds Roll By, and the second from Frank Sinatra: A Man and His Music, Part 2 (With Ella and Jobim). His phrasing and breath-control are incredible, and the note held at the end of the 1946 version is nothing short of incredible.

Enjoy . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTnw_MmVptQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQAFEO4_2u0

Re: Frank Sinatra: Old Man River, 1946 and 1967

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:22 pm

He certainly could sing that song. I prefer the older, wiser 1967 version personally - in fact I think that performance is even better than the the version on the Concert Sinatra album from four years earlier. There was certainly some fine music packed into that 1 hour TV special!

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:32 pm

The Concert Sinatra was one incredible album -- Nelson Riddle's arrangements were magnificent, Sinatra was on mesmeric voice and the orchestra was just amazing. This album was actually recorded on 35mm tape -- I'm not sure if/or how this could be transferred with optimum sound to CD nowadays, though.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:16 pm

It sounds pretty good on CD to be honest. Considerably better than Ring a ding ding, for example.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:59 am

I'll take the 1967 version.

Another song I really enjoy his later recording is "All Or Nothing At All."

From "Strangers in the Night" album(1966)...

phpBB [video]

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:58 pm

-- "It sounds pretty good on CD to be honest. Considerably better than Ring a ding ding, for example." --

Have you purchased the recent 50th anniversary re-release of Ring a-Ding-Ding? . . . . It sounds incredible; in fact, I would say it's, perhaps, the best sounding Sinatra disc on the market. Even in comparison to the UK issues of his Capitol albums, as per the complete collection.

I also love what Frank done with All or Nothing at All on the Strangers in the Night album . . . Such a great update of the song, and worlds away from his original recording. The notes Sinatra hit on the Columbia recording are something else, though -- whilst the Reprise version is so very cool, and grooves is the most irresistable fashion.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:55 pm

I just bought the new ring a ding ding and thought it still sounded awful. The sound of that album always sounds so thin to me. I guess it's just differences of opinion with these things.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:04 pm

Yeah, guess so . . . I really liked it; and have been double-dipping with all those new Concorde/Sinatra Estate re-releases -- I'm really looking forward to the Sinatra/Basie collection, but thought Trilogy deserved something special.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:11 pm

they have released all the reprise albums in the UK and Europe over the past year or so, some of them sounding very nice indeed.