Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Roy Hamilton-Without A Song

Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:52 pm

http://youtu.be/ohtgAlNfZmc

Re: Roy Hamilton-Without A Song

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:49 pm

This is presumably where Elvis learned the lyrics from. Boy does Roy Hamilton sound like Billy Eckstine!

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:37 pm

It's a great song, and Hamilton sings it well, but he certainly smacks of Billy Eckstine on that one . . . Eckstine's version of Without a Song was surely one of the best. That brilliant vocal timbre, but an assured softness when required; and he was wonderful on this one.

Incidentally, Elvis may have been as familiar with Perry Como's version of the song as Hamilton's. Mario Lanza also sang this one . . . And Presley was certainly a fan of Lanza . . .

Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:10 pm

Yes, I forgot about Lanza's version. I have that somewhere.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:13 pm

Lanza had one of THE great voices, but also passed away so very young -- just 38.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:19 am

Here's Lanza's version.

phpBB [video]

Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:16 am

nice one. and then, of course, Sinatra swung the hell out of it on the I Remember Tommy LP in 1961 (not one of my favourite of his LPs I have to admit).

Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:04 pm

I like Sinatra's version very much, and rate I Remember Tommy quite highly . . . I love Sy Oliver's arrangments and the brass-work is outstanding throughout. East of the Sun, Imagination and I'll Be Seeing You are all highlights, IMO; whilst The One I Love (Belongs to Somebody Else) reaches such a free-flowing groove. Slower numbers, like I'm Getting Sentimental, In the Blue of the Evening and Take Me are very beautiful. It's a fitting nod to Tommy Dorsey, IMO . . .

Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:23 pm

It's one of those albums I know is very good - but which just doesn't gel with me personally. If that makes sense? I'm not sure why. It's even esoteric in the way that A Man Alone or even All Alone is. Just one of those things I guess. But I love singing the arrangement I'll Be Seeing You from the album. It's great fun - whether sung in the afternoon, evening...or early bright!

Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:39 pm

The Irving Berlin songs really stand out on All Alone, but Sinatra couldn't touch Presley's classic Are You Lonesome Tonight? . . . . I can get lost in A Man Alone for days on end; I find it to be a deeply affecting, very introspective and unique album. But it has to be listed to in its entirety, or not at all.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:06 pm

Yes, I agree. It is a beautiful album and under-rated. As is Watertown from a year or so later.

Sinatra even tackled A Man Alone on TV of course, with this beautiful sequence from his 1969 TV special, which includes a remarkable performance of Forget To Remember which was only released as a B-side, but is a lesson in torch singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GFXvU6ic-g

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:18 pm

That was a great, great segment -- almost reminiscent in its staging to a scene from The First Deadly Sin, from 1980. Sinatra's Edward X. Delaney, at home, alone; weary and quite lost, as his wife lies ill in hospital. Gordon Jenkins music was truly outstanding in this underrated - and under-known - movie.

Watertown, I also love -- and, thankfully, the re-release has omitted Lady Day from the album, which was added on the prior release as a bonus track. But it ruined the mood -- the closing of the album, with The Train, is emotionally crushing. Had this lauded album not be a commercial flop, a planned TV special wouldn't have been scrapped. Shame . . .

Incidentally, as a stand-alone track -- both versions of Lady Day which Sinatra cut, are lovely. The second version, especially so . . .