Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Ella Fitzgerald: My favourite live performance by anyone!

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:12 pm

This is remarkable. It was recorded in 1966 - the year when Ella found out she was struggling to get a new recording contract. She signed up with Capitol in the end who got her recording country, gospel and christmas songs. In concert meanwhile she was ripping it up with songs like this: Imagine My Frustration written by Duke Ellington. Released some 20 years later, this concert ranks as one of her best on record (forget the Berlin one from 1960 - this blows it away). It's a kind of mix between Ella and Aretha Franklin. Gives my goosebumps everytime. And, as Ella would say, the record's still available!!!

phpBB [video]

Re: Ella Fitzgerald: My favourite live performance by anyone

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:46 pm

Marvellous! Marvellous! Just marvellous! . . . . It doesn't get much better than Ella and Ellington; she had one of the most sensational, lilting, beautiful voices -- a voice of so many shades and colours, textures, depths and layers. And what command she had over her instrument!!! And Ellington was a genuis, whose band was one of THE bands of the 20th Century -- a band and bandleader to rival that of Dorsey, Miller or Basie. And what wonderful music they made!

Ain't nothing wrong with your taste in music, dude!

Re: Ella Fitzgerald: My favourite live performance by anyone

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Thank you.