Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Bobby Darin - Bridge Over Troubled Water & Song Sung Blue

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:06 am

Hey Bobby Darin fans -

Look at this - Just awesome!

Note: These are just for tv and were not actually recorded by Bobby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LERPPOn6 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_QEWDW ... re=related

What do others reckon?

Re: Bobby Darin - Bridge Over Troubled Water & Song Sung Blu

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:58 pm

All of the material from Bobby's final NBC series in 73 is truly amazing. He was one of the most incredible performers of all time.

His version of Bridge is my favourite ever version - as is his versions of Sweet Caroline, Can't Take My Eyes Off You, Under My Skin and Higher and Higher. All of them visually and aurally amazing.

The DVD MACK IS BACK features the last complete show filmed for the series and is the best concert I have ever seen by any artist.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:19 pm

Just wonderful -- absolutely wonderful!!! What a talent he was; and, yes, that's an outstanding version of Bridge Over Troubled Water and a fine performance of Song Sung Blue; a song that really suited a touch of swing and some brass at its back.

And with regards to the show Mack is Back; it's certainly one of the finest moments in concert I have seen by any artist, also.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:29 am

greystoke wrote:Just wonderful -- absolutely wonderful!!! What a talent he was; and, yes, that's an outstanding version of Bridge Over Troubled Water and a fine performance of Song Sung Blue; a song that really suited a touch of swing and some brass at its back.

And with regards to the show Mack is Back; it's certainly one of the finest moments in concert I have seen by any artist, also.

Right on!

I enjoy that show more than any show by anyone. The impersonations, the funny stories, the musicianship, the fantastic dance moves, the incredible vocal, the cool look, the fantastic band ("give it to the band!"). Absolutely sublime throughout.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:19 am

He was one of the best and no doubt.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:04 pm

I'm so glad the link was to the 1970 version of Bridge rather than the Mack Is Back one, which isn't so good in my opinon (not helped by the wrong harmonica, of course).

Anyone who knows me wil know that Darin is my REAL musical hero and not Elvis. Don't get me wrong, I love Elvis stuff but as an artist he could be frustrating and while I love the music, I can;t say I fully admire the man.

Darin was, in many respects, the opposite of Elvis as a person. He knew exactly what he wanted, and set out to achieve it, despite his constant ill health. He has been accused of jumping on band wagons, but I think he just loved every type of music and did his very best to incorporate each genre within his recordings and performances as best he could. He didn't care if the record would bomb (his folk album, Earthy, bombed - but he still recorded a follow-up!) as long as he cared about the music itself. As Ricky nelson said: "You can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself". No one was going to walk over him.

We think that Elvis's music crossed boundaries and included all genres - but remember Darin covered everything Elvis did plus swing, jazz (check out the Winners album), protest songs, folk songs from around the world, showtunes etc. And as his version of Sweet Caroline from the TV series shows, he didnt always just cover a song - he often transformed it. The Mack Is Back DVD is great, but even better is the Live at the Desert Inn CD with a masterful Beatles medley, a brilliant version of I'll Be Your Baby Tonight, a cover of Blood, Sweat and Tears that has a groove and passion that band could only dream of.

Elvis was a great performer - when he wanted to be. It seemed Darin was unable of putting in a crap performance. I hope you guys won't mind me adding some more youtube clips to the thread - starting with one of my favourites. Come Rain or Come Shine starts off in big band mode, and finishes a la Ray Charles and the joining of the two genres is absolutely seamless.

phpBB [video]

From the David Frost Show a year earlier:
phpBB [video]

and finally a song I would have loved to have hear Elvis sing:
phpBB [video]

We should remember that the above performances were made when Darin was in decline! He had just a year or so to live and had only just recovered from a major operation which took place in late 1971. In other words, these were Darin's equivalent to Presley's 1976!

Darin rocks.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:05 pm

There was no musical decline with Bobby. His final recordings are my favourites - and that last TV series featured some outstanding performances.

Happy is another blinder. Bobby is one of my top five singers of all time.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:50 pm

I can guess one other -- but who are the other three?

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:08 pm

greystoke wrote:I can guess one other -- but who are the other three?

1. Elvis
2. Jim Reeves
3. Harry Nilsson
4. Bobby Darin
5. Mike Nesmith

And if the list needs extending to ten:

6. Hank Williams
7. Mark Lindsay
8. Buddy Holly
9. Gram Parsons
10. John Sebastian

The list may switch slightly at times, but the top 5 remain the same throughout.

Some other very favourite vocalists include Nat king Cole, Fred Astaire, Robin Gibb, Mickey Dolenz, Wayne Fontana, Paul McCartney, Neil Innes, Mario Lanza, Al Jolson and John Lennon.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:18 pm

Some of the greats and the all-time best, no less . . .

I'm also a big fan of Al Jolson, Fred Astaire, Nat Cole and Mario Lanza . . . And have listened to my fair share of Hank Williams over the years, too.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:29 pm

greystoke wrote:Some of the greats and the all-time best, no less . . .

I'm also a big fan of Al Jolson, Fred Astaire, Nat Cole and Mario Lanza . . . And have listened to my fair share of Hank Williams over the years, too.

They are voices as familiar as ones own mother. I can't imagine never hearing them. Etched deep into the subconscious and capable of changing my mood in a flash.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:38 pm

It's really great how much respect darin is getting these days. And yes, Happy is great too - especially the studio version.

Interestingly , I came across Nesmith's Until It's Time For You To Go the other day completely by accident on youtube. I thought it was beautiful:

phpBB [video]

and not all that different from Bobby Darin's version either (which sadly isn't on youtube)

Both versions blow Elvis's away in my opinion. His is too heavy in arrangement and heavy on the vibrato too, completely losing the intentions of the song - I wonder how his performance would have been different had he recorded it in the March instead of the May 1971?