Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Karl Denver

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Maybe not in the top league of 'classic artists' but certainly a unique one. Karl Denver's (real name Angus McKenzie) greatest hit was 'Wimoweh' which peaked at number 4 on the British charts in January 1962. His other chart entries included 'Marcheta' and 'Mexicali Rose' both in 1961. One of the first records I ever bought was 'Pastures of Plenty' in 1962, and still very much a favourite of mine to this day.

Karl was born in Glasgow in 1934, left school at 14, served with the Argyl and Sutherland Highlanders in Korea. After which, he entered the merchant navy where he jumped ship on the west coast of America, headed for Nashville, mingled with Faron Young, Hank Lochlin, Ernest Tubb and other country greats and even appeared on the Grand Ole Opry. He was finally caught as an illigal immigrant 3 years later and deported back to England.

He was one of the most unique vocalists of the early '60's with an eardrum piercing. multi-octave vocal range but could also sing tender ballads such as 'Still', 'Irish Eyes' and ' She Moved Through the Fair' equally as well. There are severall of his songs on youtube which are worth checking out.

Re: Karl Denver

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:58 pm

Have just been reading about him in Freddie Starrs autobiography.he was not a fan of mr Denvers.Otherwise i dont really know much about him apart from wimoweh

Re: Karl Denver

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks for your responce Keninlinks. I like and admire Freddie Starr and must get a copy of his autobiography. What does he say about Karl? I must admit that I know very little of Karl Denver's private life, so would be most interested to learn.